What knife do I need next?

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by T.A., Sep 21, 2021.

1. T.A.

T.A. Member

I have the itch for another knife.
    I already have
    2 spyderco manix ll’s
    1 benchmade barrage
    1 benchmark 940 Osborn
    1 Microtech Ultratech
    1 Junglas
    1 ESEE 6
    They all get used and I regularly rotate my edc but I must admit the Ultratech is my fav. I’m looking for something a little different in the ~$200 price range. I’m thinking a small edc fixed blade.
    What small edc fixed blade are you using?

2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

In that range the ESEE 3 seems logical, you could go s35V if you want that gaucci steel.

Caleb O, anomad and T.A. like this.
  3. anomad

anomad Member

I was also seeing a spot for one of the fixed blade offerings in the 3 inch range.

I'm itching to run the Xancudo for a while. Seems like it would be a good fit for me.

Justin Bohnett and T.A. like this.
  4. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

For a 3" edc fixed blade I would recommend a stainless steel Izula. There are also a few knives by LT Wright that might work well...

5. anomad

anomad Member

I'll also add, a smallish fixed blade is my favorite knife. There are so many solid options. Do you have a Mora? I'd get a stainless one in your country. A Becker Necker or the Eskabar has a fantastic blade shape.
    I really want to try the ESEE 3 in stainless with the fancy handles too. But I need to de-collect before filling the knife drawer any higher.
    The Canadian Belt Knife shape is one I like a lot also. With the Quebec/Cajun connection that one might be to your liking? The Cold Steel version is cheap stainless steel, but works as well as the premium model I have in practice.

6. T.A.

T.A. Member

After much research today I’ve narrowed it down to a stainless Izula, and a black oxide Izula 2
    Do the sheathes for these have good solid knife retention?

on edge likes this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

The factory sheath ? If so they sure do !

T.A. likes this.
  8. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Yes factory sheaths are good. I really like the belt clip as well. You might want to look at a set of scales from The Knife Connection. I have a set for my Izula and love them. They do add quite a bit of weight and some bulk so it depends on how you carry it and what you prefer...

For my Izula with TKC scales I carry it with the handle hanging out of my right front pocket and have the belt clip where a folding knife clip might go.

I haven't personally seen them them but The Knife Connection makes extended scales as well. You could get the stainless izula and longer scales so it has the same handle length as the izula 2 if you prefer stainless???

Izulas do well for most work without scales as well since they are a little thicker (Extended, harder work might not be as comfortable but edc tasks should be fine). You can just throw the izula and factory sheath in a front pocket as is. Some people even make a paracord lanyard with clip from the sheath to a belt loop and put the izula in their pocket upside down.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    T.A. likes this.
  9. T.A.

T.A. Member

I decided to order the stainless Izula and a set of black G10 scales for it. Can’t wait to get it, and maybe it’ll give my Ultratech a break lol.

10. CCMI

CCMI Member

I know you said you decided already, but my 2 cents is go for the Xancudo instead. I wanted to and tried to like the Izula for years, but it's too thick to be great at small tasks and too short to be great at bigger tasks.

The Xancudo is what I always wanted it to be - slightly longer handle, thinner & slightly longer blade.

(Not my pic)
    [​IMG]

WCT, Mr. Tettnanger, KnOeFz and 3 others like this.
  11. T.A.

T.A. Member

Thanks, I went with the Izula instead of the Izula II solely on the fact it is smaller. It’ll probably be carried clipped in my front pocket.
    I do like the blade design on that Xancudo though.

12. CCMI

CCMI Member

Hey, tons of people love the Izula so mine is just one opinion. It's definitely a good knife and I'd agree it'd be a little better in a pocket. Hope it treats you well!

T.A. likes this.
  13. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

I've had both the Izula and Izula 2. The Izula is a great size to edc in your pocket and I am a big fan of it. For me the extra length of the Izula 2 made carrying it in my front pocket more noticeable so I passed the Izula 2 along to someone else that would use it.

@CCMI and others - For those of you with the Zancudo how do you carry it? Does it fit as well as the Izula on the front pocket or is it more of a belt clip carry knife?

T.A. likes this.
  14. anomad

anomad Member

Staying tuned to see how the Izula runs for you. Everyone is different. Let us know after you use it in anger.

T.A. likes this.
  15. T.A.

T.A. Member

Lol, will do.

16. CCMI

CCMI Member

@CCMI and others - For those of you with the Zancudo how do you carry it? Does it fit as well as the Izula on the front pocket or is it more of a belt clip carry knife?[/QUOTE]

I mostly have it in a bag or on my belt. But you totally could carry it in your pocket if you didn't have a lot else in there.

The sheaths for both the Izula and Xancudo (they're basically the same) are great, but I think going with a more streamlined kydex sheath would probably be better if you wanted to carry it in your pocket.

Adventurer likes this.
  17. T.A.

T.A. Member

I just got home and my Izula was waiting for me on my front porch. It’s a neat little blade and it disappears in my pocket without the clip. I must admit that I am a little bummed out that it didn’t come with a kydex sheath as advertised, but rather an injection molded one. But it is what it is. It’s still a cool, well made blade.

Adventurer and anomad like this.
  18. anomad

anomad Member

Do give us (me) a report after spending some time with it. I bought one when they first came out. And I seem to understand the design might have been changed. I found the blade stock of the example I purchased too thick for such a small knife and immediately sold it on the used market. Knives are funny that way, what I like might be total nonsense for you or visa versa.

I also bought the Candiru at the same time. It's a little scalpel and I really like it. Even looking at the modern sheaths and handles for it. Although that would be half again as much of the original purchase. The Becker necker is also one of my favorites in the small EDC fixed blade genre. I haven't tried the eskabar variant.

19. Andy the Aussie

......to the best of my knowledge they have always come with the moulded sheath ? Where did it say kydex ?

Strigidae likes this.
  20. T.A.

T.A. Member

[​IMG]

Justin Bohnett likes this.