Bug out or in?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bcamos, Oct 27, 2016.

1. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

A hurricane will never hit DFW. I was using a past experiences as an anology . I was a Federal Law Enforcement Agent at the time and could not leave work until authorized. I realize that I ramble, digress and oft vomit on the keyboard, but my contention is that in a large metropolitan area I believe the roads will clog within a few hours of any disaster. They often clog for no reason. You could easily sit at idle until fuel runs out and face a long walk.

2. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

That describes the mass evacuation scene out of Houston several years back for hurricane Rita. Inbound interstates were shut down and converted to outbound, and it was still gridlock. People running out of gas, and several folks died in the summer heat. One could have walked down the shoulder of the interstate pushing a wheelbarrow of personal effects faster than traffic was moving.

Traffic can get thoroughly jacked in both directions due to an accident. A fender-bender northbound snarls the southbound traffic thanks to the lookie-loos. If a planned mass evacuation won't work, the pandemonium of a late exit makes it far better to just stay at home.

3. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

That is true. I missed the part where you said you were at DFW. I got focused on the hurricane. Sorry.

4. mil spec

mil spec Member

Bug in until you have to bug out. I live in a small country town and feel safer than if I lived in a large city.

JMJ likes this.
  5. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

My family will hole up at our apartment until we can't any longer. Our 3 year old will make bugging out on foot a large challenge.

I need to look at getting some fuel cans to store in the garage. An extra 25 gallons would make a world of difference.

6. C99c

C99c Member

Absent some very destructive natural or chemical/nuclear type disaster in the area we're staying put.

Being rural with a fairly moderate climate, abundant natural resources and familiarity with the who's, whats and wheres leaves us no reason to hit the road.

If our home doesn't provide enough security given whatever theoretical situation then we have other options locally.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  7. Nowhere

Nowhere Member

Most likely stay put and hunker down. Most of my friends tell me they're heading here during the Zombie Apocalypse

Treehorn likes this.
  8. .357 mag

.357 mag Member

Stay. Hard to take all this ammo I bought from the last apocalypse

Kylemeister likes this.
  9. Paynefree

Paynefree Member

I'll be staying in. No sense in bugging out taking less than I have in house. You cant take all the necessities with you for every all things..

10. Treehorn

Treehorn Member

Same here and the second part of that is my biggest problem. I'm fairly well prepared but I know very well that my unprepared family and friends will come running. I really wish I kept my mouth shut about my supplies but in an effort to encourage everyone else to prepare, I let them be known for the most part. Total good intentions/backfire situation on my hands now should an issue arise.