The Sharpening Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevo, Sep 11, 2018.

1. anomad

anomad Member

Can you reposition the clamp and just do 4-5 inches at a time?

I've never had one of the clamping systems. But I have the DMT magnetic clamp hanging around in my shopping cart. Figure 20 bucks might be worth it to try with my existing DMT folding diamond for shaping. Then finish up with the sharpmaker.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  2. anomad

anomad Member

Can you reposition the clamp and do 4-5 inches at a time?

Drew RedBear likes this.
  3. Kevo

Kevo Member

What kinda of blade is it and how sharp are you looking to make it? I've done up to 8" on stones. Axes and whatnot I usually use a puck from baryonyx.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  4. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

maybe but I don't want it coming out uneven.

it's the condor moonshiner, 1075 hc steel. It don't have to be hair popping but good enough to do wood processing.

Kevo likes this.
  5. Skrewy

Skrewy Member

Working on a rb3 I just picked up from a member on here.some fine ak stone and leather strop with some white rouge compound and can danm near see my reflection. I'm a newbie but having satisfying results 20210731_153517.jpg 20210731_153555.jpg 20210731_154341.jpg

Drew RedBear and Kevo like this.
  6. Kevo

Kevo Member

A bench stone of some sort would be my first pick. If you're going to go with the lanky you could use a sharpie to mark where you're at on the edge and count strokes for each section. It'll be a bit tedious but even at least.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  7. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I'll try the lansky then first, if it don't work out then I'll send it to you.. Haha. Kidding of course. I really do need to start learning to use stones. I want to start convexing..

8. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

@Slade here also does a fine job of sharpening a blade !!!!! If here were out here I would probably never sharpen a knife again :D

Drew RedBear likes this.
  9. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

It would cost an arm and leg to ship it there and back lol. I'm better off buying a new one of I mess it up :p

10. Elishea Buckley

Elishea Buckley Member

Use a stone and sharpie marker the edge bevel so you can see what's being taken off when you a
    Sharpen. If it's not taking off enough marker than bring your angles up. Taking off too much marker than bring it down abit
    Keep your angles consistent and you'll be fine
    That's what I use on my junglas and my bk9 is a large whetstone with some oil on it
    I tried the bk9 on my work sharp precision adjust but it's just too much for that little unit.

Strigidae likes this.
  11. Skrewy

Skrewy Member

Just pulled these out of the garage wonder how old the metal one is

Attached Files:

Elishea Buckley and Drew RedBear like this.
  12. Skrewy

Skrewy Member

Buck ats-34 having trouble with this one is it like a sv30 the edge is in pretty rough shape I am not getting anywhere with it I have used this for a few years as a deer skinner and used a pull through sharpener trying to bring it back from abuse now and it's not as easy as my other knives

Attached Files:

Drew RedBear and Elishea Buckley like this.
  13. Elishea Buckley

Elishea Buckley Member

Some knives just require alot of time and alot of patience to bring em back. Take a break from it. Then go back to it. You'll get it. Cheers man

Justin Bohnett and Drew RedBear like this.
  14. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

The pull through sharpeners are the worst thing you can use. They can do more damage than what's already on the knife. My suggestion is take it in somewhere professionally or look up what sharpeners are best for that steel. U I've only worked with 1095 and the cheap Chinese steels so I wish I could be of more help. I wish you the best on it though!

Elishea Buckley likes this.
  15. anomad

anomad Member

I went off the deep end and upgraded from my trusty old sharpmaker I've had since they shipped with VHS tapes.

[​IMG]

Still breaking it in, but it is impressive. And damn well should be for the price.

Kevo, Strigidae and Drew RedBear like this.
  16. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Wicked Edge ?

17. anomad

anomad Member

Yes a WE130 with everything up to 1000 grit diamond stones. You can go up hundreds and hundreds of dollars from there to get a mirror worthy of the Hubble space telescope. I am finding that something I sharpened on the trusty sharpmaker at "15 degrees" is much more obtuse than what this machine's geometry is calibrated to. Still wrapping my head around that??

I got out an old book to re-read to help myself think about fundamentals and how to use the new gadget most effectively.
    [​IMG]

Mama is out of town. But the real test will be when she comes home and uses the kitchen knives. She is very observant on when her favorite knives are in perfect condition. I think I have taken "perfect" up a notch and, if so, in a shorter period of time per knife than with my trusty sharpmaker.

The Wicked Edge 1000 grit stones broken into where I have them now will effortlessly shave hair. I can't get it to reliably pass the free hanging hair test or whittle hair. But that could just be me? Anything normal, paper, wood, food, is outstanding. My favorite santoku slides through a potato like nothing.

Strigidae likes this.
  18. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Not perfect by all means but wasn't going for the mirror finish either. Had to reprofile it back to 20° also. My Lansky system is messed up as well, it just don't sharpen like the last one I had and seems to get clogged a lot easier, and then, it don't want to clean up well. But it got the job done and it's shaving sharp, after stropping. I don't EVER want to reprofile another junglas lol. 20210903_152842.jpg

Elishea Buckley, Strigidae and anomad like this.
  19. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

We tried to tell you…. Ha ha ha!

Drew RedBear likes this.
  20. Elishea Buckley

Elishea Buckley Member

I freehand my junglas on a fine stone, then just strop and go chop haha.

Drew RedBear likes this.