Motorcycle thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dhunley1, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

STPNWLF likes this.
  2. JV3

JV3 Member

post-ride refreshment :)

[​IMG]

dhunley1, STPNWLF and Strigidae like this.
  3. ASH

ASH Member

I almost busted my tail today. I have been wanting some wings from Publix for about a week, I finally made the trip to Publix today. When I got there they were out of wings so I had to wait 30 minutes for some to cook. Then by the time I got back out of the store it had started raining.

I got back across town and decided to take back roads the rest of the way home. I went to turn left onto another street and the front end washed out. I thought I was about to eat it, but luckily I was able to ride it out. I didn't have much confidence in my front tire the rest of the 30 miles home. Then about halfway home I ran into some standing water that was deep enough that I was worried it was going to drown the engine. But I made it back home with the hot wings.

IW17 likes this.
  4. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Got the lenses from Fulton industries
    IMG_20200927_154040.jpg
    IMG_20201101_195158.jpg
    Before
    IMG_20200927_153951.jpg
    After
    IMG_20201004_154406.jpg

Zeek, dhunley1, JV3 and 3 others like this.
  5. JV3

JV3 Member

i hate to say it but winter (and camping) can wait...soaked in the sun yesterday while i still can.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dhunley1, ASH and Strigidae like this.
  6. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

The bike is looking good @STPNWLF ! I see that Yamaha is discontinuing the vmax and the r6. Kind of crazy but not surprising.

7. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

Nice! I managed to get out for a little bit today. Probably the last ride of the year.

JV3 likes this.
  8. jafo

jafo Member

put my bike in storage for the first time ever today. It makes me sad I wont be able to sneak our for a ride on the occasional warm days between now and April but... I needed the extra space for working on my car this winter. Still a sad day

JV3 likes this.
  9. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Some of my past commuters and one in track attire. Havnt rode since around 2012 though.. maybe ill do another streetfighter build one day ..the single childless days of building bikes in my 3rd floor apartment living room are just vague memories now lol 20200421_205208.jpg 20200421_205243.jpg 20200421_205302.jpg 20200421_205323.jpg

dhunley1, ASH, JV3 and 1 other person like this.
  10. ASH

ASH Member

Well I never thought I would be old enough for a Harley, but I guess I was wrong. I picked up a 1994 Sportster 883 last night. I figured for $2k I couldn't go wrong. I needed something more comfortable for riding 2 up. My girlfriend starts complaining about the seat on my old Honda at about 100 miles. Nobody makes a seat for it anymore, so I will have to go the dyi route but the seat cover is in such good shape I don't want to mess with it. At least with a Harley I can find a new seat. I guess it's a early 40th birthday present for me.

Attached Files:

Bozho likes this.
  11. ASH

ASH Member

Anybody want to buy a Harley? We went out to eat about 40 miles from home last night. That was the most uncomfortable ride ever. I felt like I had a monkey climbing my back the whole way. Then every time I put my feet down her feet were in my calves. I think she was riding my back instead of the bike. I sure hope a new seat and a sissy bar will fix that. My back was killing me by the time we got home.

12. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

What height bars do you have? They can change your riding posture somewhat. Taller bars (not ape hangers) made mine more comfortable, for me anyways.

Mid vs. Forward controls can change up the position of your feet. I prefer mid controls myself.

As for the passenger foot pegs. Not much you can do really. I can't stand them either. They don't really bother me until I try to walk the bike backwards. Luckily for me, I don't have a rider very often.

A new seat might improve things as well. I don't have any recommendations.

That's my experience with my sportster (1995 - so also a rigid mount, carburetor model like yours). Their touring bikes probably do better in all these areas. But they cost a lot more, and I don't have much experience with them.

13. ASH

ASH Member

I prefer mid controls too, I like being able to use the pegs to control the bike. I don't think I would buy a bike with forward controls. One of my biggest problems with the passenger pegs is that the left one blocks the side stand. I'm glad I decided to ordered the 13" shocks, with the 11.5" on there now I have to lean the bike right for the side stand to clear the ground 2up. I really don't want a much larger bike. Maybe a old FXR Super Glide, but those are hard to find. I think I just prefer a UJM or Bonneville style bike with a flat seat. I wish I could flat foot my ZRX 1100, but it's so tall, wide and heavy that I would drop it trying to tiptoe with a passenger.

I probably should have bought the late model KZ 1000P I found, but it was too far away.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  14. ASH

ASH Member

I installed the new shocks today. About 5 miles into my test ride the throttle cable snapped. Luckily I was headed back to town for gas.

I can't believe how bad the parts situation has gotten. I haven't been able to find a stock pull side throttle cable anywhere. I hope I can find one locally. I had to get a used seat on ebay. I ordered one from Harley but they cancelled the order a few days later. Nobody else has a good 2up seat in stock. You have to order them from the factory and wait 6-8 weeks.

15. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

Ugh .... I had a throttle cable snap on me when my bike was fairly new to me. Who knows how old the cable was.

J&P cycles or other internet sources may be a good bet for parts if you can't find anything local.

16. ASH

ASH Member

I ended up finding one on ebay, j&p didn't have the cable either. Most of the ones you find right now are either longer than stock or for a aftermarket carburetor.

17. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

Never thought the day would come, but I sold the R6 a few days ago. Was just collecting dust, so figured I would take advantage of the crazy market right now and sell it. Took some of the money and treated myself to a Corbin seat and Motodemic flyscreen for the XSR. Still waiting on the seat, but I'll toss the flyscreen on this weekend.

18. ASH

ASH Member

Well I got my seat and throttle cable today. Maybe I will get them put on tonight. The dynatec ignition I ordered for a friend from Amazon is counterfeit so I have to send it back.

19. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Been a tumultuous couple of years between some major work changes and getting separated/divorced, but I’ve have some great successes in other ways and gotten myself out of a lot of debt (still more to go) so I decided to treat myself. I’ve wanted a bike for a long time and this one came at a very fair price. Here is my very own BMW G650x challenge with only 4000 miles. Now it’s a lot of bike for a learner, but it’s going well so far.

21B8973B-8F92-4569-8174-1806AFA290DE.jpeg

JV3, dhunley1, Bozho and 2 others like this.
  20. Delkancott

Delkancott Member