ESEE 5/6 Large/Long Pouch Tins

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by ShootyPuffJr, Jun 22, 2021.

1. ShootyPuffJr

ShootyPuffJr Member

I picked up an ESEE 6 from TKC a few months ago after lusting for one for awhile, and I have to say I am impressed. With the TKC sheath and their G10 handles it's a very nice knife.

Originally, I fitted it with the small/regular sized ESEE pouch, but I'm a bit of a pack rat and an efficiency snob so I wanted to make as full use of the sheath surface as possible and picked up the newer large/long pouch instead. The extra space is definitely useful, but the standard size tin unfortunately feels a bit inadequate floating around in there. Amazon to the rescue! I found this 4 pack of slightly larger 5.03 x 2.28 x 0.78 inch (128 x 58 x 20 mm) tins and figured I'd give them a shot.

They fit perfectly. Even better, you can double stack them just as you could with the regular Altoids style tins, as they're the same width and height, just an inch and a quarter longer to make use of the bigger pouch. It's definitely a tight fit, but not tight enough that I feel it's compromising the stitching of the pouch or making them too difficult to remove. There's even enough slack left over on the outer elastic bands to slide a pocket whetstone and a ferro rod into each one, and a gap under the flap for a small flashlight. Take a look at the included pics and see just how much junk you can fit in these, and that's just from one tin! I haven't decided what I want to put in the second one yet or how to divide things up, but the options are now endless.

IMG_20210622_132227.jpg IMG_20210622_132244.jpg IMG_20210622_132428.jpg IMG_20210622_132905.jpg

Anyways, just wanted to share this since I know everyone here would appreciate it. The tins don't have the same nice finish and look as the ESEE provided ones, but it's nothing a nice spray coat and a stencil of your favorite mascot can't fix. Maybe some fine folks at ESEE will see this post and start selling some larger tins of their own *wink wink*

I'd also like to see what other tins or containers you guys are using in the large/long pouch. Ideally, I'd love to find a tin or waterproof plastic container with 5"x2.25"x1.5" dimensions to fill out the pouch and allow for storage of some slightly bulkier survival tools, but I've yet to find something that I think will work. If I do, I'll be sure to report back and let everyone know. Until then, enjoy!

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  2. Thedudeman

Thedudeman Member

Could you post the Asin number for these? I can’t seem to locate them on Amazon .

3. ShootyPuffJr

ShootyPuffJr Member

ASIN is B08Z3GCRJ8

Looks like they're out of stock temporarily (which might be my bad for having posted them haha). I'll try to find some elsewhere, but so far these took many hours of searching because they aren't explicitly labeled any different than the normal sized Altoids tins. If I find a different retailer I'll report back. I imagine there has to be more like them somewhere.

I've been reconfiguring my organization and removing/adding things, and I've separated them into two specific tasks: 1 tin for fire starting, 1 tin for general survival (fishing, trapping, hunting, signal, and utility). I'm still waiting on a couple more small items to see if I can make them all fit in each, but I'll throw an updated post up once I have what I consider to be my final/ideal setup and a full shopping list for all the goodies. I'm trying to aim for using items that can all be purchased new, right now, without many of those "these are great if you can find them because they haven't been made in 10+ years" unicorn tools, which reflect my struggles in piecing together survival kits based on recommendations from youtube and survival forums. Tools are only useful if you can actually obtain them.

Thedudeman and Packrat like this.
  4. Packrat

Packrat Member

thanks for the info SPJ,the search is on....

5. Thedudeman

Thedudeman Member

Thank you I will keep a look out myself