Show your axe thread

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by ManOfSteel, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

2. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

My vote at the moment goes to GB Wildlife Hatchet. Here's mine.
    [​IMG]

Strigidae and Kaw-liga like this.
  3. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

I've been good about telling myself I don't need one of these sweet little hatchets. The few I've handled were amazing. If I bought another axe right now this would be it.

Strigidae and Ballenxj like this.
  4. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

It fits right inside my go bag too. ;)

Kaw-liga likes this.
  5. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

Wrong type of ax??
    FB_IMG_1613701929982.jpg

Bluelew, Strigidae, IW17 and 4 others like this.
  6. the925life

the925life Member

7. OfficerLucky

OfficerLucky Member

Just picked this one up. Snow & Nealley Hudson Bay 4BDA3199-E764-4F58-A9BF-B2537A3950EB.jpeg

KnOeFz, Bozho, Ballenxj and 4 others like this.
  8. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

I designed this one!

[​IMG]

KnOeFz, Kaw-liga, Strigidae and 5 others like this.
  9. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@FortyTwoBlades What is it called?

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  10. FortyTwoBlades

It's the "Forte", and I designed it for Woox under contract. Initial release was with a 22" handle for pack-friendly length, which is the one that was reviewed in the magazine, but a 28" version is also available now. Replacement handles will be available in about two months, and then they can be swapped on the fly as circumstances dictate, thanks to the slip-fit eye. Hardened poll, and the high centerline is made using convergent true bevels so you can't ever sharpen back into thinner zones like on phantom beveled axes.

The reviewer notes that the mask (which I didn't design) doesn't fit well, but he made the mistake of putting it on the axe like the folks at Woox did when taking the product photos, and they messed up and did it wrong. The strap does fit wrapping under the poll, but needs a slight stretch when new for it to reach. A firm tug is all it takes to get it to reach the snap stud and then it sitting on the axe causes the leather to relax pretty quickly and take the right length permanently.

Wisdom, Kaw-liga and RocketmanDane like this.
  11. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

This just in…. 0B4D74E6-9B91-4070-9B36-6684F9F44762.jpeg

12. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

110CA956-2D80-4A58-8EF8-B3087158C0DD.jpeg Here’s the whole H&B forge family. Ida has left us with a soggy day, but hopefully will get to throw these by the weekend.

KnOeFz, Kaw-liga, Strigidae and 2 others like this.
  13. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

This looks like a great design! I read the description on the Wood website. Could you elaborate on the process? What was important to you? I’ve had a lifelong passion for axes and love to learn any nugget of information I can concerning axe design.

14. FortyTwoBlades

Thanks! I'd be happy to answer any questions you have! What process do you mean and what do you mean by "what was important to [me]"?

15. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I specifically meant the design process and what features were important to you in the functionality of the axe. Many axes I own have only slight variations but often perform very differently. Handle length and shape along with poll thickness and balance often make huge differences in performance. You have experience with a variety of axes and studied the subject well. When you created this one, what was your design focus?

16. FortyTwoBlades

Since I have a million and one things I need to get done today, I'll give ya' a quick overview and if you have further questions just let me know!

Basically since getting my hands on Italian axes and studying how they work and the design ethos behind them, I've come to really appreciate them. Meanwhile, despite the popularity of tomahawks, and the advantages that a slip-fit eye brings to the table, no one in the American market has really done a proper tool version of a slip fit eye axe with features similar to a North American axe. The closest thing in the global market are things like the Jauregi Basque-style axes or Latin American patterns. Similarly we have lots of full-size axes, lightweight axes, and light heads on long handles. We have very very few proportionally heavier axes on short handles despite how useful I've found them when dexterity and packablity takes a priority and you're doing serious work in a remote location--not just cutting up some brush wood for a camp fire and making a few tent pegs. So I drew from both Italian and American classical design and put my own spin on a lot of those combinations.

The beveled cheeks are true convergent bevels, so you're never going to sharpen back into thinner steel, you have a prominent high centerline, a nice hard 57 RC for the bit and ample poll, and you can swap handles on the same head to have multiple lengths whenever needed. The eye is smaller than a standard pick eye so a pick handle can be carved down off the shelf to make a serviceable replacement if you can't get or make a proper replacement right away and have work to do, and it's large enough that you can even use a (very short, like hatchet-length) pine handle if you have to for the sake of getting a job done. At 3-1/4 pounds head weight it's a little lighter than a typical full-sized axe but heavier than a boy's axe, and can do very serious work out in the field.

Wisdom likes this.
  17. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Thanks for the details!

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  18. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I carry this axe with me almost daily. By far my favorite axe. A 3 for size reference. Gransfors are in a class of their own, although overpriced. This axe is very limited in ability in the world of axes, but i like it much better than carrying a large knife. Even with its limitations, it is very useful 3A5ED60B-E909-474A-9061-5C0BC37C3384.jpeg

Adventurer and Kaw-liga like this.
  19. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

That's the one GB that always catches my eye when shopping axes. I've carried my H&B Med. Camp Hawk in lieu of a fixed blade before. I liked it more than I thought I would. I've talked myself out of this Outdoor Axe a time or two just because they're so similar in size and weight. Great looking axe man!

20. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

Collins Boy's Axe, rehung from a Hatchet, 2.5# Head { what were they thinking? }
    year unknown.
    My favorite Way to make Fire with my Axe.

DSCF8268 (2).JPG

DSCF8269 (2).JPG

DSCF8274 (2).JPG

The Swedes will do it..... but just barely, Vintage American Steel for the Win!

DSCF8239 (2).JPG

DSCF8241.JPG

DSCF8242 (2).JPG

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Scablands Scavenger and Kaw-liga like this.