Not the best experience from ESEE

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by IamaStone, Feb 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. IamaStone

IamaStone Member

I removed my earlier post and posted it to the correct section, my apologies. I posted in another thread, but I thought this deserved its own post.

As much as I like ESEE products (and I have quite a few) my last experience was not the best. I am posting my experience so that hopefully it can be addressed in a more professional positive manner in the future.

I am not pleased with their newly re-designed molle backer (ESEE 6) handle strap that I recently ordered direct from ESEE. I first ordered from Amazon-approved vendor Prime Valley. They had quick shipping and I wanted to take my new ESEE 6 on a trip. But when I received my Amazon order, I thought the molle backer handle strap design was so poor it had to be a Counterfeit from Prime Valley. Specifically, the knife handle sliding snap. After verifying on ESEE's own website photo of the molle backer was indeed different, I sent my entire Amazon ESEE order back. I had to take a different knife on my trip.

When I received the exact thing directly from ESEE, I couldn't believe it. I emailed ESEE about it since their photo still shows the old design, which at the time, confirmed my Counterfeit suspicions. They really need to update that photo btw. I really wish this version was still available.

esee sheath.JPG

In my original email, I had asked if I could send the molle backer to them and have them install a snap, which Mike didn't even address. I believe he just skimmed my email and did not read it thoroughly. As he stated, he misread and thought I wanted a refund. Mike let me know I wouldn't be able to refund my purchase because of a design issue. Even though their photo is wrong and misleading. Frankly, I couldn't believe he said that even though that isn't what I asked for. I didn't want a refund, although I think that would have been justified. Sometimes I really appreciate the ease of Amazon.

I just wanted to send it in to have one snap installed. I didn't ask to have it sent in for free, or the work performed for free. I didn't know how to install snaps, I don't have the tools to install a snap or a matching snap. I asked if I could purchase one or they could send me one since he didn't even address my original question. Mike said they will send me a snap to replace this hideous sliding snap, finding an installer is on me... OK.

20210225_093818.jpg

20210225_093901.jpg

When I inquired about the design change, I was told this design was to accommodate other knives. I am assuming the thicker ESEE 5. It looks like they also dropped the fall away strap pivot point, which I have on the Junglas sheath. That was a nice feature, definitely a step backward in my opinion. The fall away strap on the Junglas has an adjustable velcro section, not sure if the older ESEE 6 molle backer was the same. But it did make me question the sliding snap design even more. I bought a snap installation kit from Sailrite if anyone is interested. They seem to sell quality tools for this type of application. My thoughts on installing myself are it's probably less of a hassle with this virus stuff going on.

I own my own business (23yrs) and it blows my mind with the internet age how a small request could turn a glowing review and very cheap positive advertising into a negative experience with the included rant. My apologies to anyone reading. But I really feel this issue wasn't addressed properly.

What I did expect from ESEE? I expected Mike to offer an apology for the misleading photo, ask if I would prefer a refund, or send a shipping label and send the backer to us and we'll install a snap and send it back. Then change the photo so this experience doesn't happen again.

I was planning on an ESEE 5 to round out my collection, but that isn't a way to reward a company for poor customer service.

Overall, I'm not that excited that I had to spend another $40 just to add a handle strap snap button. Plus my time researching how to install, finding a quality installation kit, repackaging Amazon, driving to the post office. Finally, my time writing and re-writing this post. So that other ESEE enthusiasts may learn from my experience and know exactly what they are getting. Lastly, maybe even a proper response from ESEE staff in the future. Not the best experience ESEE and I hope this issue is addressed properly.

I had originally posted in the wrong area, so I moved the thread, but there were some responses here. https://eseeknives.com/forums/index.php?threads/not-the-best-experience-from-esee.12614/#post-213220

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    nofuss, JV3 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  2. Mike Perrin

Mike Perrin Administrator Staff Member

Mark,
    Sorry you are still disappointed. It isn't the impression you left me with in our emails. As I said in the emails we do need to update our photos on our website. I appreciate you pointing that out as sometimes we miss updates like that. So I am guessing you don't want the snaps I am sending. If you change your mind let me know. If you will email us, me the order info I will simply refund your purchase and you keep the Molle Back.
    The design change was made to take care of several knife handles we use the MOLLE back for and a single snap doesn't do this. The older "fall away" handle strap was adjustable but had the unfortunate tendency to fall in the way and the knife cut the handle strap when removing the knife from the sheath. We don't make design changes lightly, only after testing and trying our best to eliminate problems. The sliding snap solved the problems and doesn't fall in the way when unsnapped. I agree it may not be esthetically pleasing to look at but we have never gone for 'pretty')
    We will refund your purchase.
    Mike

3. IamaStone

IamaStone Member

Hi Mike,

I didn't like how the situation was handled. You could have offered a refund since your product photo was wrong. You could have offered to send a label and have the sheath sent back and a snap button installed, but those options weren't offered, and I didn't ask for them. Although, You did misread my email thinking I wanted a refund and quickly said that wasn't available because of a design issue. Although, I think rightly justified with a misrepresented photo.

I did ask to send in my molle backer to have a snap professionally installed by you, I didn't ask to have it done for free. You just didn't answer my question. So, since there was no response to my question, I asked for a snap and you offered me a snap. Let's not pretend I was jumping for joy for a snap. I was trying to salvage a situation. Which I do appreciate, and yes, I would still like to have it sent to me.

I spent 3hrs researching tools, snap installation, and returning packages because of an outdated photo and I think my frustration could be heard. It's a mistake and those things happen, and I just wanted it addressed.

But I would have expected better customer service and hopefully spending my valuable time addressing the situation properly will help alleviate future frustrations from a good knife company and enthusiasts.

I did not ask for a refund, nor do I want one. I felt the need to voice my concerns about how my situation was handled and I felt it could have been handled in a more professional manner. I also hope the photo is changed now that it has been brought up.

I would still like to accept the snap if you still would like to send one.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  4. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Changing out the photo is on me. I simply missed updating that one when the change was made to the product. It will be a bit before it is updated on the website. You're the first person to say anything about it so it's the first I've even heard of it being wrong. As always, we appreciate out customers pointing out things like this.

As a side note, I read the whole email thread between you and Mike. There was nothing at all in the email that was unprofessional between either of you.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    JV3 and junglebum like this.
  5. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

@IamaStone

Sorry you had a less than pleasant experience. I have never experienced anything less than excellent when dealing with ESEE. Frankly, Mikes reply shocked me. There were complete sentences, usage of the words SORRY and APPRECIATE, and a refund was offered without any name calling,cursing or grunting. Overall I’d say you experienced stellar service. You have to keep in mind ESEE, unlike Amazon, is a small business that doesn’t have the budget to properly train or hire real customer service professionals, so Mike does the job instead. Plus they are good ol southern boys so what you see is what you get (and I honestly love that about them). They don’t do pretty because they ain’t pretty. But they make a damn fine product, stand firmly behind it and offer real survival training/skills that don’t involve having to drink your own urine. I hope your next ESEE experience will be more to your liking.

PS. That $40 dollars to fix the problem may have been $40 more than you intended to spend but you learned a new skill and acquired the right tools to fix a myriad of gear that you may not be pleased with in the future...So I’d that is a $40 investment well spent. My advice (and my personal goal) is to learn how to modify your own gear, acquire the tools to do it, and customize it to your liking because you know what you like best. Take care.

6. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

@Mike Perrin @Jeff Randall

Well it looks like you might have another warranty claim coming in soon...

Someone over on Bushcraft USA got a brilliant idea o_O

20210401_205643.jpg
    20210401_205710.jpg

Look on the bright side though, they are doing you a favor by giving you some good press. I think you owe him a big thank you :eek:

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  7. Chris Talley

Chris Talley Member

There’s definitely a few members on that site that go out of their way to drag ESEE through the mud for perceived unjust treatment. I rarely visit it anymore because of the couch commandos and so called experts.

The Marsh Gorilla and Lostviking like this.
  8. MiamiC70

MiamiC70 Member

I really dislike this type of reply making excuses or light of customer feedback. No matter what industry, size of company or location it’s 2021 the internet and e-commerce is a “thing”.

BTW,
    https://theknifeconnection.com/brand/esee-knives/esee-knives-accessories/
    just saying....

9. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

I'm not positive, but I believe this was dismissed as an April Fools Post.

It was pointed out it was posted on 04/01/2021.
    Went the way of the Dodo after that.

All forums have their winners and losers.
    The amount of folks that came out in defense of ESEE over there was impressive.
    I am a member over there as well. Lots to be learned.
    But sometimes you have to sift.

It's just math.
    The more members, the more possibility of attracting yahoos.

10. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Yeah I caught that as well afterwards. I hope it was just their idea of a funny joke, then again maybe jsc271 was onto something??? Let's just give them the benefit of the doubt...

20210403_120051.jpg

20210403_120030.jpg

11. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

Jez,

I forgot I had a Rat Pack # from way back when.

Adventurer likes this.
  12. Mannlicher

Mannlicher Member

Oh my! I thought I had some real issues in my life, and never knew that other's suffered from genuine life altering events. :rolleyes:

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  13. CWB

CWB Member

Jeff save the unprofessional emails for me. :rolleyes:

14. The General

The General Member

Side note, does ESEE make modifications to their molle backers if requested?

15. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

No sir.

16. The General

The General Member

Gotcha. Thank you.