New here. Don't have an esee yet

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Rustingshack, Feb 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. CCMI

CCMI Member

Welcome!

If you end up ordering online, I’d suggest the ESEE-4 with 3D handles as a great starting point. Not too big, not too small, and just a very versatile knife. As to your handle question - yes the 3D handles are light years better than the original flat ones.

If you can find a store where you can try them out in person, I’d suggest comparing that to the ESEE-4HM , ESEE-6 3D/HM, and Laser Strike. The 3 & 4 have the same handle, the 3 is just a bit shorter and thinner blade.

I personally love the Laser Strike handle, but it’s not for everyone and I’d 100% get the contoured handles from the The Knife Connection (https://theknifeconnection.com/tkc-handles/esee-laser-strike/) - they’re an excellent online knife store too.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  2. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Welcome . You really cant go wrong.. crusie the buy sell forum theres awesome deals that pop up if you just want to get your foot in the door.. and if its not for you post it back up for sale!

3. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

I like the HM series and was surprised at how much beefier in the hand they are and feel than pictures led me to believe. I have a coupple izulas theyre great little edc blades i carried one today 1:00 scout with paracord in the factory sheath. As stated above the izual 2 is the same blade with a longer handle. You might like the junglas 2 paired with one or the CR for hunting and general camp use. Might of missed it if it was already mentioned . But either way keep us posted what you land on

4. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Welcome to the forum!

5. erik

erik Member

I was a die-hard Izula2 fanboy until the Xancudo came out.
    still love my Izzy2, but the xancudo is pretty sweet and a valid contender for pocket carry alongside the Izula/Izula2 and the 3 -- all 3 have similar blade and handle sizes, but different blade shapes.
    Also a big fan of the 6HM (and the original 6P) if you want something a little larger for GP camp tasks but not as large as the Junglas or Junglas 2.

I prefer the unpolished canvas micarta for grip - especially when my hands are wet.

welcome to the addiction - don't forget to post pics of your trip!

6. WCT

WCT Member

Hey there, I have an Esee 4, with black g10 3D TKC scales, and a kydex sheath. Blade is brand new, untouched. Only thing absent is the box it came in. I’ve been looking to unload it. I live in Denver, if you’re passing through and want to take a gander let me know. Looking to sell it for $100
    (I would’ve posted this in the for sale thread, but this is in direct response to the OP’s inquiry). I’m not much of an internet guy either, but I’m sure I can manage to post a pic if you’re interested, though I may have missed your front range timeline. Either way, safe travels and enjoy Colorado.

7. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Start with the 3. Everyone needs a 3. Then you can decide if the next blade you want needs to be bigger or smaller.

Bozho likes this.
  8. Rustingshack

Rustingshack Member

So I used up all my fast data looking at knives and the slow g didn't want to let me post here. Got the unlimited this time. The one place I found on the dealer list didn't answer the phone and on Google it looked like it was in one of the commercial industrial parks not a retail area so I didn't check it out. I would have liked to actually feel them out but I ordered a 4 with the 3d micarta online and already got it. It's exactly what I hoped for. Feels perfect in my hand but I also wouldn't mind if it was a bit bigger or smaller. Kind of figured from all the responses I couldn't go wrong

KnOeFz likes this.
  9. Rustingshack

Rustingshack Member

If I had seen this I would have hit you up. I head down that way about once a month for the supplies you cant buy in wyoming and got a brother and uncle to visit. If you haven't got rid of it in a couple weeks I'd probably still be interested.

WCT likes this.
  10. Rustingshack

Rustingshack Member

Got the 3d micarta. Is there both a polished and unpolished version? Its shiny but not particularly smooth.

11. Rustingshack

Rustingshack Member

Definitely won't be posting it for sale.

12. WCT

WCT Member

No problem, I’m glad you found what you needed! Sold it yesterday off CL. For what it’s worth I prefer the 3. When next you get the itch, check it out!

13. erik

erik Member

shiny = polished, all the 3D stuff is polished. The standard canvas micarta is shaped with an 80-grit belt, so it looks smooth, but has more texture when wet.