New here. Don't have an esee yet

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Rustingshack, Feb 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Rustingshack

Rustingshack Member

If im violating any rules or decorum by making this my first post let me know and I apologize. Kinda gunshy after reading a lot in another forum. I started looking at knives again after I broke the clip on my crkt and lost my buck. Definitely want an esee but I'm not sure what model. Not looking for a folder replacement
    Just esee caught my eye researching. Would like to actually try before I buy and I'm headed down to colorado next week. Wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of a dealer or shop in the front range area. Tried searching but I'm not very good on the phone internet things. Thanks if anybody has any help. Or an extra they might part with. I looked for guidelines here and I'm really sorry if I'm breaking rules by asking these things but this seems like a fairly easygoing forum. Thanks again even just for reading my rambling post

Drew RedBear, CCMI, Kaw-liga and 4 others like this.
  2. TerryD

TerryD Member

Welcome!

3. Twiztedmind

Twiztedmind Member

Welcome to your new ESEE addiction. As far as reputable dealers you can check out knife works, smoky mountain knife works, and the knife connection. Those are the 3 that I’ve used and I’ve been happy with all of them. Which ESEE model did you have in mind? Intended uses?

Kaw-liga and TerryD like this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Welcome to the forum..... you are right, we are an easy going bunch here....unless you drive a Jeep but I digress.....can't help you with a US dealer where you can check out the ESEE range but I have a simple answer for anyone in your situation, order a 3 or 4 and you can't really go wrong. Steel type is more about your intended use. This is a good forum where you can actually interact with the people who put out these blades as well as a group who use the hell out of them.

5. Rustingshack

Rustingshack Member

Thanks guys. I'm mostly just hung up on the handle options. I am planning on ordering my brother the ck 2.5 or whatever for xmas and my girlfriend the junglass just to annoy her. For myself I'm just looking for a medium duty camp knife. I'm not a bushctafter or anything I just camp and fish and cruise around the woods sometimes hunt. but I'll probably end up with a 3 4 5 and a 6 eventually. The laserstrike and 4 seem to be what I'm kind of looking for. Does the 3d handle feel better than it looks?
    P.s. I wrecked both my jeeps

6. Bluelew

Bluelew Member

7. TerryD

TerryD Member

The CR2.5 is a great little knife. It's one of my personal EDC blades.

I have a 6 with the 3D G10 scales and it's very comfortable in the hand. I personally think it's a little large for something to carry on my person so it's in a MOLLE rig and gets tossed in the back of my Nissan (@Andy the Aussie ) or in my pack.

I have a RB3 that I usually carry on my side when out in the woods. I like the Scandi grind and the 3-inch-ish length is very useful for me. I like the feel of the canvas micarta scales on it as well.

That probably just muddied the water but I don't think anyone here just owns a single ESEE so you'll be in good company when you're 14th shows up..... haha

Kaw-liga likes this.
  8. skx013

skx013 Member

You mentioned handles. The original thin slab or thin PR4 type handles are significantly worse for me than the 3D or HM. I didn’t like my PR4 until I did the Shane handle modification - and now it’s much improved. This isn’t a critique of the knife per se as this is more often due to injuries or chronic conditions related to age that may make a wider handle on a tool (any tool) better for someone’s individual circumstances.

9. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

10. KnOeFz

KnOeFz Member

Welcome.
    The 3, 4 and 6 are most allrounders in the lineup imho.
    Pick a size to your preference.
    Love them all equally, depending on my mood one or the other pleases me more. Often the 6 is more knife than I really need though.

The 5 puts the biggest smile on my face, anf the Izula is an amazing little knife that disappears in your pockets/ pack.

Kaw-liga and TerryD like this.
  11. Stray Round

Stray Round Member

Izula II to start.

Always a need for a handy little blade.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  12. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

I've used the 4 and CR 2.5 the most, they're my favorites. My 3 is close to the 4 for overall use. I've used all 3 of these blades so much that the logos are becoming hard to read. They've gained my trust.

I don't mind the old style flat handles, maybe I'm just use to them. But the "broomstick" handles on the HM series are outstanding. If your camping chores entail heavy/prolonged knife use you may appreciate these. The 3, 4, and 6 are offered in this style and basically the finger choil is removed and rounded scales are added. I have the 6HM and it's fantastic. @KnOeFz said it best, it's also usually more knife than I need as well.

For size comparison, the 3, 4, and 6HM:
    IMG_20190604_221700495-01.jpeg

My CR 2.5, a nimble little blade. Designed as a "bird and trout" knife. Great for tons of everyday tasks. I use mine a lot for fire prep.
    IMG_20200216_090406784-01.jpeg

KnOeFz and TerryD like this.
  13. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

@Rustingshack I don’t believe I have ever witnessed that much apologizing in a post. Nonetheless, we are a simple people here who also struggle with advanced technologies like the internet and such.

The positive thing about investing in an ESEE is the ability to sell or trade fairly readily without losing dollars. Warranty and demand are a plus.

Buy a JG3 and a 6. Flip it if you don’t like it and buy another.

14. Stray Round

Stray Round Member

The JG3 is my favorite knife. Just a wonderfully useful design in every way.

The only reason that I recommended the Izula II is that it is a tad smaller for EDC and the terrific factory sheath that can be used in a multitude of ways or just slid into a back or front pocket. They are ready to go as is without buying what I think is a more useful field sheath.

Now if Esee had similar designs for their line...

Kaw-liga likes this.
  15. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Excellent point.

Stray Round likes this.
  16. Bozho

Bozho Member

3 and 6 cover everything for me. The 3 HM replaced my folder and the 6 is amazing all round knife. I like the shape of the regular handle, but they are short for larger hands. The HM is perfect for me. You can't go wrong with the 3/4/6

Here are mine :

IMG_20210227_202110.jpg

I have had perhaps over 100 knives, from many brands, many steels, but for real world usage I haven't had anything better than these three knives and a couple of Buck knives in 420 HC. Simple tools, made to get the job done. One of the few knives nowdays that are actually made to cut, to be used, to be out in the field and not just for Instagram photos and boosting the ego with expensive toys. The Glock of knives, took me a bit to understand it, but better do it late than never. Esee knives will always be the top choice for me.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    KnOeFz, Chris Talley and Kaw-liga like this.
  17. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Hey welcome! The search for the perfect knife is truly never ending for some. In esee’s line I’m partial to the 3 and 3hm. That said, knowing your environment, camp tasks, and how/where you want to carry your knife will go far to help you choose the right one for you. Enjoy the search and have fun on the forum! Great place for sure!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Kaw-liga, Bozho and TerryD like this.
  18. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

Welcome aboard! Lots of good discussion.

The RB3 is a hoss for processing wood, and it just feels great right out of the box.

I have a 3, and the TKC aftermarket scales really changed the entire feel of the knife for me. I suspect this is a lot like the new 3D scales but I don't own one of those yet for a direct comparison.

The 5 is just Captain Insane-O. Use it, abuse it, it asks for more.

Chris Talley and Kaw-liga like this.
  19. Ossian

Ossian Member

The 4 was my first fixed blade purchase. It is a good all round size. Good hunting blade and camping chores knife. I have recently acquired the 3. The 3 is a better slicer but I still prefer the 4. I haven’t tried the 3D scales but I’m sure they are a definite improvement over the slab scales. The 5 is a beast, the 6 is a good slicer also. There are plenty of handle and sheath accessories in the esee lineup.

Kaw-liga and Bozho like this.
  20. Rustingshack

Rustingshack Member

Oh man I was expecting some camaraderie but this is a bit much . I definitely came to the right place gonna take me at least the night to read and process all the responses. Thanks again guys.