Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Cold continues.

It dropped below freezing last Sunday, and won’t be back above until next Sunday, so two weeks of below freezing.
    Normal for many, rare for us.

We had some form of constant precipitation all this week. Freezing drizzle Sunday night and all day Monday. After that we had of all things lake effect snow falling every day this week. Was really light, but constant.
    Now we are looking at a significant snow Sunday night and then another one Wednesday.

Going to be brutally cold in many areas in the coming days. Everyone stay safe.

2. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Yup, Im out in the texas panhandle right now and our heater is barely keeping the house at 50 and its 9 outside right now, Sunday night is forecasted at -9 and wind chill around -30. I have a good campfire wood pile and a tent stove, might be taking an esee 4 to a door and installing that stove on short notice if the power goes out lol!

Delkancott, Drew RedBear and TerryD like this.
  3. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I'm right there with you guys. It hasn't been this cold in SW Missouri in years, let alone the snow we're supposed to get. It wasn't even this cold in Detroit last winter. Stay safe

4. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Subaru handled the ice like a champ.

It would handle the foot of snow we are about to get also.

However I stocked up on coffee and wine yesterday, so no reason or plans to leave the house this week.

The sun came out yesterday afternoon for a few hours. Even though it was only 12 degrees out it actually melted off the thin layer of ice and show we had on solid surfaces.
    Now at least this super powdery snow that is blowing around today shouldn’t have anything to stick to.

Currently snowing, 6 degrees F, and sustained winds at around 16mph.

Only plans are to finish my coffee, put on a pot of chili, and sit by the fireplace.

5. TerryD

TerryD Member

Going to the MIL's house for lunch. My wife's birthday and mine are only 5 days apart so she's fixing us a birthday lunch.

Tomorrow we're fixing steak and crab legs for our Valentine's Day.

Bluelew, C99c, RocketmanDane and 2 others like this.
  6. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Hope everyone is staying safe.

I saw places in Texas that have had rolling blackouts, some for 8 hours.

They rolled some blackouts through our area also but ours stayed on.

Drew RedBear, TerryD and Strigidae like this.
  7. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Branson got hit pretty good too and snow plows have hardly been out. We stocked up on some food so we'll be good staying in until the end of the week. It's supposed to snow again Wednesday until Thursday and get another 3-4 inches on top of the 10 we got so far.

TerryD likes this.
  8. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Same story here.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  9. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Good luck and stay safe and warm.

10. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

They are saying it’s 25 degrees out.. High of 38 degrees tomorrow..
    Not a problem for me personally I have lived in plenty of cold places... BUT it’s been almost 5 years since it last dropped below freezing locally ... SO no one here has any idea what to do with ice.. It’s going to be a S$ show in the morning on the way to work..

Drew RedBear and TerryD like this.
  11. TerryD

TerryD Member

My brother has lived in NC for the last decade. We were visiting him when they lived in High Point one winter and it iced over night. Him and I ran out for breakfast that morning and we sat at a stop light for probably 10 minutes. Every time it turned red, folks just kept sliding through it and we had to wait till there was a minor fender bender and traffic stopped so we could safely pull out.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  12. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Unfortunately the charger I got for etching don't work for that. And I'm $3 shy from getting the one I used before. Ugh..

13. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

If the serial number isn't visible, does the warranty still apply? Dumb question I know, but just making sure. Nothing wrong with it but thinking about just stripping and sanding without etching.

14. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Went to the Gun $hop yesterday to look for ammo.
    They had small amounts of a few different Pistol calibers. But they were all the high end normally $$$ stuff. So I didn’t buy anything..
    The best part thou was getting to listen to a couple customers and employees argue over how the .45 pistol/ Caliber was officially “Dead” Reasons including $$$, Availability, better ballistics, size, etc. etc.
    IMO, FAR from a dead caliber, just not a cost effective caliber at the moment.. Unless you reload. But that’s a whole different disaster at the moment also..

15. TerryD

TerryD Member

I stopped by to check one. 556 is $1/round and a 100 pack of 9 was $85.... that's making my 41 mag seem affordable to feed....

RocketmanDane, IW17 and C99c like this.
  16. ASH

ASH Member

I stopped by a couple shops last week just to see what they had. One is a little pawn shop that never has much, I bought a used .22 there about 6 years ago. The other is a larger local hunting and fishing store. Their prices are always a little high but they had a small selection of guns on the shelf. They had very little ammo, about 10 900 round ammo cans of 5.56 for $1000, 6 boxes or so of cheap 9mm for $40 and most of the rest was oddball stuff.

17. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Good thing about winter weather here, it doesn’t last too long.
    Last Monday the high temperature was 5 degrees.
    Today it was 65 degrees.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  18. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I don't mind the cold or the snow, it's the ice that I hate. About the same here, almost 60°.

TerryD likes this.
  19. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Grossest thing I’ve ever done with my Izula 2 was today.
    Staying in a hotel after a FM had surgery today ( They want you to stay local for 24hrs. BUT don’t let you stay in the hospital due to covid)
    Toilet broke, wouldn’t flush etc..
    Front desk say the MTNX guy would be in in the morning or we could move rooms.
    Not practical to move rooms with a still “Medicated” individual..
    Only tools I had handy was a ziplock bag and my Izula 2
    Repair took less then 5 minutes.. I put repairing a hotel toilet up there as pretty freaking gross.. ESP with Covid..

20. Bozho

Bozho Member

85$ for 100 9x19? That's crazy expensive, I always thought that ammo was so much cheaper in the US. 9x19 is around 0.40 $ per round here and still it is not cheap if I want to shoot more than a couple boxes per month.