Savage’s new rifle

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Skip808, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Skip808

Skip808 Member

JV3 and Zeek like this.
  2. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

That’s pretty cool.

Just noticed it can be easily switched for left handed.
    Now I’m really interested.

JV3 likes this.
  3. Skip808

Skip808 Member

I noticed that in the video too. That’s really a slick feature. No need to make left and right hand versions anymore.

When I started thinking about it I was wondering about the whole scout rifle idea. Without the irons and no way to mount forward it’s not really the same but the action Seems quicker for follow ups.

4. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Options for left handed bolt actions are slim at best, so this looks pretty cool.

JV3 likes this.
  5. erik

erik Member

curious to see what the price range is at the street level - the lockup is interesting.
    not sure how keen left handed shooters are going to be with the right eject.

JV3 likes this.
  6. Skip808

Skip808 Member

Good point, didn’t think of it that way. I’m a righty so I didn’t think of the ejection port. I saw the the cases eject in the video but can’t recall the angle. Now I want to rewatch and see.

I looked at Davidson’s and they’re not available yet. Just for fun I also checked the Springfield 2020s and they’re out too.

7. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

It’s not that big of a deal, at least hasn’t been for me, others may have a different view.
    Every pistol and AR I own is right side eject.

There are worse things to deal with, like scissors not working well. Ever.

Won’t be shooting this as rapidly, and will also not have the crap blowing out the back/side of it while shooting either like with an AR. I’m sure it will be fine.

Was this a design that already exists that others use or did they just come up with something new?

JV3 likes this.
  8. Skip808

Skip808 Member

From the video they said the locking mechanism was used before. I didn’t hear the whole thing since it was 4:30 this morning and didn’t want to wake my wife up (couldn’t find the ear buds and didn’t want to get out of bed haha).

I think the major selling point was first linear pull centerfire action made in the USA. It caught my eye because I’ve just never had one and looks interesting. They said Street price should be around $1100 or so.

JV3 and OKcherokee like this.
  9. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

This is cool. I would refer to it as a Fortner action. It looks similar to the biathlon rifles made by Anshutz.

I have some left eject Savage target rifles. They are pretty much for shooting from the bench or prone but the left eject is pretty convenient.

JV3 and Zeek like this.
  10. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

I could see left eject being handy if you wanted to grab each empty casing as you ejected it.

I imagine that precision shooters that reload probably do this rather than just letting them fly and picking up later. Could be done one handed probably.

Off topic but I am reminded of a war movie with a left handed sniper that was working a right handed bolt gun.

JV3, Skip808 and erik like this.
  11. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I like Savage for the eas of barrel swaps. E2476A99-2BCA-4DDE-AAC8-464980232007.jpeg BBD9CB25-AB48-4E15-BEC7-48CD05CB7B8D.jpeg

JV3, Zeek, Skip808 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Skip808

Skip808 Member

[QUOTE="OKcherokee, post: 210059, member: 556"Off topic but I am reminded of a war movie with a left handed sniper that was working a right handed bolt gun.[/QUOTE]

Was that Band of Brothers with Tom Hanks? The scene where the sniper is in (I think) a bell tower or steeple seems to come to mind.

13. IW17

IW17 Member

Saving private Ryan was with Tom hanks. Band of brothers was produced by him. I do believe it's saving private Ryan is the one with the sniper in the tower.

Skip808 and Zeek like this.
  14. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

15. IW17

IW17 Member

Zeek likes this.
  16. Skip808

Skip808 Member

Yes thank you Saving Private Ryan!

IW17 likes this.
  17. IW17

IW17 Member

Yikes. Just looked at little closer at these. Almost 9lbs dry. By the time I add an optic, sling and ammo I'm lugging around an 11lbs+/- rifle. Thats a nope for me.

Zeek likes this.
  18. Skip808

Skip808 Member

That’s a heavy rifle for sure. It’s 2 pounds heavier than my current hunting rifle even with the Hog Hunter 18 in barrel. My current barrel is 22 in.

I’d still consider it though because some areas we hunt are not far walks. But who knows, by the time I have the money to seriously consider picking one up maybe they’ll have a lightweight version.

19. Ossian

Ossian Member

I’m a big fan of a straight pull rifle. My k31 Swiss rifle feels like it runs on ball bearings. It will be interesting to see how the savage action pans out.

Skip808 likes this.