Shooting groups. Post ‘em

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by Expat, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Rook52

Rook52 Member

8DDD344F-EDC6-4685-BB67-DE4627658F69.jpeg Cooper timberline in 300 WM. Cold bore at 300 yards after a major cleaning. I was curious if it change my point of impact. No scope adjustment made. I also just shot cold bore no cleaning and had no movement. Lesson for today boys and girls, shoot your rifle after cleaning before hunting. Shooting 168 Berger classic hunter in front of 81.3 gr of ramshot magnum.

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

My Sako .308 and Weatherby .300Win are good after a cleaning, my Winchester .375H&H ABSOLUTELY needs a fouling shot, that said I can always predict where the first one from a clean barrel will land (low and right of my zero). When I went to Africa it hurt launching a $3 Woodleigh just to foul the bore hurt .....out here I have some old Winchester factory FMJ that I keep for the purpose.

GREAT group BTW !

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    Rook52 and Strigidae like this.
  3. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

4594BD52-AD8A-4B55-86D3-B97D724BF8B4.jpeg
    Spent the weekend at K&M precision. It was to far to walk to get group sizes. I’m sure everything came in under 1/2 moa.

The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.
  4. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Yep that's how I shoot 3000 yards also. I'm getting amazing groups.

Delkancott, Wisdom and Strigidae like this.
  5. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I’m hoping to get to KM next year sometime. They are on my list. Have you taken training there?

Strigidae likes this.
  6. Expat

These are the kind of “amazing groups” Jeff is getting:

62220AB4-2AB3-4F55-BF6A-1FB4D31EE3E5.jpeg

Strigidae and ASH like this.
  7. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I was hoping to hear about those 3000 yard groups...until now.

the triple C range near ft worth has ranges up to 2000 yards for 52.50 per day. The 1000 yard is 42.50$. I don’t seem to need anything past 800 as I can’t hear the hits anyway.

8. Expat

why wouldn’t they just make it $53 and $43.

seems like a lot of screwing around with quarters.

Delkancott and Strigidae like this.
  9. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

These are difficult questions. I still haven’t figured out what they don’t let me shoot for free.

10. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Ive taken the Basic twice. The training is top notch. Shannon is a super humble guy with a resume that speaks for itself. He's not trying to prove how good he is, he doesnt have to. Mike Rogan and the other instructors are equally versed. I cant imagine anywhere on the planet to get better training. The range is like no other Ive seen. The pic is of the known distance range that goes to 1200 yds. They have a 750 yd unknown distance range with steel plates everywhere along with a couple of cars with plates inside. A movers range with moving targets at 300 and 500 along with static steel targets. Plus pistol bays, other various ranges, a helicopter, school bus, cars, and tons of barricades to shoot around. The bunk houses are first class, the club house is awesome. The class room is very nice, and the pro shop is stocked with almost anything you could ever want for long range shooting. Bring extra cash, the temptation will get you. Khales scopes, Swarovski binos, barrels, guns, stocks, and Armageddon Gear stacked to the roof. If you are a serious student of long range shooting, K&M is an experience like no other. If you've ever been to Gunsite, its like a modern version of it, but mainly geared toward PRS and without the Sconce. My only complaint with the training is limited course offerings.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    ASH likes this.
  11. Expat

Cool. I’m planning on going next year. Thanks for the info!!!

I’m going to Barbour Creek in a few weeks. I’ve never been there. I like the fact it’s so hunting oriented. I’m not really into competition. Going from a .75 group to a .25 group doesn’t do anything for me compared to being able to put a deer down at 600 yards.

I know sometimes those two disciplines overlap but they also diverge at some points.

Strigidae likes this.
  12. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

K&M is definitely geared toward PRS competition shooting. Thats my complaint. The few classes they offer are focused on competing. I get the impression they make more on "non civilian" training than Joe Q Public classes. You may check out Strategic Edge (Tony Shankle) as well. Ive only taken one class there. The range goes to 1250, and isnt bad. A totally different experience/philosophy. Barbour Creek may be in my future as well. Looks really nice. 2021 Im going to try and get some Sims in, maybe some combatives. Im also hoping to get to play musical chairs in Alabama. Along with more time on the range, pending I have the ammo to do so!

My goal is to shoot 1/2 MOA every shot I take. I may never get there, but Im training toward it. Every range trip I get closer. Im really understanding how important the fundamentals are in long range with every round I shoot.

13. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Tikka T3X .308. Factory FGMM 168SMK at 100yds. @Bcamos took this photo.

D0B96A08-4E0C-46F9-B187-B3CD98EEC01E.jpeg

Wisdom, Zeek, Rook52 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Expat

Never owned a Tikka but everyone seems to shoot them well. That’s a great group!

Strigidae and ManOfSteel like this.
  15. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

thanks. It’s the CTR and that was in the factory stock and all that jazz with a hunting scope and an Atlas. It’s now in a KRG Bravo with a much nicer long range optic.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  16. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.....they do make a nice rifle. I really want a Sako TRG-42.

17. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

D8195B46-4E9E-498C-9514-A2336EEC7653.jpeg Went zero my Aero Precision M5 LR308 yesterday for deer hunting this week. Here’s 15rds at 100yds. Probably should’ve left it alone with the first 5rds, but the rifle’s too damn fun to shoot and I wanted to see how it’d shoot once the barrel heated up. I’m happy with it for hunting this season. Probably tighten it up when I’m not in a rush to get to work.

18. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

As of late I have been building some flintlocks from kits. This is a .50 patched round ball. The impact seems to move left as the barrel fouls. After 3 or so shots it settles in then goes wild again. Round balls are heavily susceptible to wind 39DA1AC3-2260-4BD8-8CF4-ADAF41FD83E0.jpeg 12FC951C-3CF4-4168-8CEB-C7BE4FCAC06A.jpeg

Strigidae, The Marsh Gorilla and ASH like this.