Why not CPM-3V?

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by PointedlySharp, Dec 4, 2020.

1. PointedlySharp

PointedlySharp Member

I appreciate ESEE's recent foray into higher-end steels, but I'm curious why S35VN was selected instead of 3V? The latter (while not quite as stain-resistant) seems to possess the increased edge retention of the former while actually improving on the toughness of 1095 rather than sacrificing it.

I'm not a metallurgist by any stretch of the imagination, just a knife collector with half a dozen ESEE knives including the new S35VN ESEE 3. I have no complaints with it, mind you, and I'm a fan of the steel in general (I have several nice folders using it), but I imagine for those seeking the ultimate in hard-use fixed blades, 3V would be a welcome addition.

Vinton likes this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

The ESEE group tested a bunch or a few or all of the steels and chose S35. Just like a chef at your favorite restaurant chose to use a certain amount of butter or salt to make your meal. They just did. I dont know what went into the process. I know they had a pass around of 4 E4s that were of all different steels. Maybe that was the creme of the crop and S35 won?

mwramos76 likes this.
  3. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Strigidae likes this.
  4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

wiss87 and Adventurer like this.
  5. elusiveweasle

elusiveweasle Member

From my personal experience S35VN is easier to sharpen in the field than 3V. I carry a Fieldsharp in my pack, it's got all the essentials and is light weight. I found that I could get that hair popping edge back on my S35 blade, not so much on the 3V. Again this is just my experience, YMMV.

6. olywa

olywa Member

ESEE's take on S35 is about as good as S35 gets, so no second guessing on my part. Gives me some of the very best free-hand edges I've ever achieved and holds that edge very well. Can't wait for the CR 3.0 to arrive.

That being said, I've got an LT Wright Outback in 3V that gives me about the same edge with about the same effort. I like 3V for hard use blades over 4" and 1/8" or better in thickness. Of course, I'm more inclined to carry an axe or hatchet rather than beat the stuffing out of a belt knife.

Vinton likes this.
  7. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

My experience with 3V was not a satisfying one. Definitely harder to sharpen than the 35 steel but I also didn't like how easily the 3V started pitting. While my experience with 3V was with a belt knife which was short lived my Sebenza 25 is still going strong for a few or more years. The Sebenza has seen A LOT of use and never had an issue with rust. Plus the 35 steel is such a pleasure to sharpen. A task which I really don't get into.
    #1. Rowen 1095
    #2. TM Hunt O1, 154 steels & CRK 35 steel.

I have no experience with the ESEE 35 steel. On a 3HM might be my choice.

8. olywa

olywa Member

I'm right there with you, I'd love to see a 3HM in S35.

9. wiss87

wiss87 Member

4HM would be pretty awesome!

10. CWB

CWB Member

I don’t see any advantage of 3v in smaller knives

Vinton and olywa like this.
  11. defnaru

defnaru Member

I've been wishing for a 3V Esee 6 for years