Foraging and wild edibles

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by junglebum, Sep 29, 2020.

1. junglebum

junglebum Member

So Lots of individual posts on foraging and mushrooming... figure I would try and get it all in one place... figured hunting was a good place to put it cause your still hunting in a sense but your prey doesn’t run and field dressing usually just involves a washing. So let’s see em’ pics and Id as well as location sometimes you don’t even know what is in your backyard.

2. junglebum

junglebum Member

Wild black berries this was from Fahenstock state park in New York probably escaped cultivation. EB704F65-3E54-480C-948E-104F28C194A1.jpeg C785FC7D-57F1-4253-820B-3573C83C422D.jpeg FA132F75-6C28-49FE-8812-CD5CD28812CC.jpeg

3. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Prickly pear fruit is in season currently in my neck of the “woods”. Been out after it multiple times this year so far. B59F0FD9-14A8-4BCB-9954-93CB5306B4A2.jpeg A6DBC17A-143E-442A-B7CF-0A869E5EE0E2.jpeg 1F66D30D-66D6-45B4-895D-C1E7E745E156.jpeg AF39BC31-3AE1-4895-B82B-E9F7896B16F7.jpeg CF9165F6-9B96-41D7-845A-7AF568BEC32F.jpeg B3F57E79-4308-45B6-AEF1-BD8BFC692876.jpeg

T-Bone, Bluelew, junglebum and 4 others like this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

And you got a Yabbie to go with it !!!!! Garlic Yabbie tails are delicious !!

5. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Yessir! Got a few of them that bushwalk. Wish I had some wild garlic at that elevation. There were a few other “spice” plants though. Pity I didn’t grab any... B91006CB-4AFF-438B-9011-25E51F30C263.jpeg

6. junglebum

junglebum Member

I gotta try prickly pear one if these days looks delicious... is it sweet??

The Marsh Gorilla and Caleb O like this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

......yes but like any grown fruit how much so depends on the growing conditions. Out here it is very common but considered a noxious plant (it was introduced by the British) so you have to make sure if you are eating it you get it from somewhere a bit out of the way so as to ensure you are not eating something that has been sprayed with a herbicide. The boffins out here have also introduced a moth that attacks it. but eating a few of them is only protein and not poisonous.. :D

Caleb O, junglebum and IW17 like this.
  8. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Great idea for a thread. I enjoy gathering some wild edibles when I can. Mostly mushrooms and greens. Here are a few I had handy photos of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chicken of the woods is a favorite at our house. They're usually sauteed and added to something else. The next batch I find are going to get battered and fried.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I collected some greens in the summer for pesto. Lyreleaf sage, birdseye speedwell, wood sorrel, dandelion, and a few others. It was great as a pizza base.

[​IMG]

This has been a good year for dryad saddle/pheasant back. I dried some and crushed it up. It makes a great soup base.

[​IMG]

On the other hand, I don't think I found any good puffballs this summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love some oyster mushrooms.

[​IMG]

We cooked up this lionsmane at a class a few years ago. It tasted a lot like lobster with garlic butter.

[​IMG]

While not technically wild, our thornless blackberries were great this year. It's nice to have them out the door versus finding a wild patch.

T-Bone, Caleb O, junglebum and 2 others like this.
  9. junglebum

junglebum Member

@R Stowe Im hoping to get more into mushrooms this year... love mushrooms but have always been weary it’s one of those things that takes a good teacher with lots ok knowledge

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  10. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

I've taken some classes, done my research, and I still double-check all but the most easily identified fungi.

The Marsh Gorilla, junglebum and IW17 like this.
  11. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Yup, they can be very sweet. The darker the fruit (almost purple) the sweeter it gets in my experience. I’ve eaten partially green ones too though. Definitely more sour than sweet on those ones. Pretty much like most fruit, gets sweeter with age.

The Marsh Gorilla and junglebum like this.
  12. T-Bone

T-Bone Member

Picked two types of cherries and raspberries from friend's properties.

IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg

I picked a gallon of huckleberries this year.

IMG_0789.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg IMG_0557.jpg

I found a bunch of serviceberries.

IMG_0758.jpg

Made a pie from scratch with the huckleberries, serviceberries and currants that my family picked this year.

IMG_0783.jpg

Turned them into a pie

IMG_0792.jpg

13. junglebum

junglebum Member

@T-Bone that cobbler/pie looks freaking delicious...gonna try that with some of my black berries

T-Bone likes this.
  14. T-Bone

T-Bone Member

It was absolutely delicious! My wife made the crust from scratch and it was amazing. That pie didn't last long hahaha. Black berry pie sounds really good.

IMG_0793.jpg

15. Andy the Aussie

....... yes what this man said !!!!!! Bloody hungry now !

The Marsh Gorilla and Safetyman like this.
  16. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I may be raising up the necro-thread here. I found it with the search feature…
    I got to give a 5 minute demonstration and talk on foraging wild plants today.
    I pointed out about 4 different ones that are quite common that most people will/would recognize if it’s identified for them.

02C0F616-6379-4192-A515-83E56A9AF018.jpeg

By far the most common was dandelion or goats beard. Even without the distinctive flower its everywhere if you look for the leafy growth.

5FAF796D-E5B0-4C9B-8333-26E1848E1310.jpeg

There was some amazement that it would be easy to fill up a 2-3 quart foraging bag including the nutritious tuber root and still not have depleted the number that could be found in just a 2 acre lot.
    I’m hopeful that the interest in doing this continues. I’m glad to share what I know if a person wishes to learn. :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  17. Scablands Scavenger

Scablands Scavenger Member

Love the foraging idea! found some wild apples on an old homestead and some mushrooms when out hunting grouse. The apples were delicious cooked into pancakes (no pics already eaten haha). I also ran across this mushroom any suggestions on what it may be? was thinking Chicken Of The woods.... I am very very leery of mushrooms and wont eat unless 100% id, basically only eat morels.
    IMG_20220920_182625229_MP.jpg

18. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

I’m no expert but chicken of the woods is one the clearer ones and that looks like a nice healthy example to me.

19. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I’ve got the interest in fungus and mushrooms but I’m wary too. I’ve found a couple species that I took pictures of and spent research time on to be good with. They are a hard learn without a mycologists group or teacher for aid.
    It means I eat a lot of salads or stir fry’s instead!