I'll keep you my Dirty Little Secret...the knives we don't talk about

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by WOODSDEVIL, Oct 1, 2020.

1. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

We all have one...those cheap-ass stocking stuffer multi-tools from mom, the well-intentioned Christmas or Birthday gift from a son or daughter....they are the knives we accept with a smile and a hug and then promptly banish to the junk drawer when nobody's looking! BUT, just for ****s and grins, do you ever put lipstick on that pig and take it for a spin? Post `em if ya got one...here's *one* of mine on a hike yesterday. A SHEFFIELD 12-in1 hatchet. The Phillips screwdriver was worthless so I modded it into an Awl. Not the best tool by far, but it's not the tool but what skills you bring that make these dogs shine!

2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

No pics of it handy but yes, I have a cheap.....really cheap....multitool that was years ago dumped in the passenger door pocket of my truck. It probably gets used three times a year but each time it has it has been to solve an issue i probably would have worked harder and longer to do without it. I will snap a pic next time it falls out at my feet..... :D

WOODSDEVIL and TerryD like this.
  3. TerryD

TerryD Member

I have a few that I've built up over the years but I don't carry them. I generally horse trade around till I have what I want. The few exceptions are an Indian .25ACP pistol that belonged to a close friend of my Dad, then my grandmother because she mentioned she liked it, and finally mine because I found it in a China cabinet drawer and she gave it to me and also a Buck folder my Dad bought for me for Christmas when a local hardware store was going out of business in my home town.

There are a few other things floating around but they're more personal curiosities than anything I guess.

WOODSDEVIL likes this.
  4. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

Haha, I hear ya brother! Me? I'm too sentimental [big softy] to give them up. My girls gave me a junker Chinese Victorinox copy for father's day about 30 years ago that the steel was soft crummy you could bend the blade back and forth, but when I hold it, I see my girls 4 and 6 again. The other thing is I am the guy that won't own something he won't use so everything gets a turn at bat, whether just EDC'ing for a day or actually working it on a trail. Stay safe and well my friend!

Strigidae, Bozho and TerryD like this.
  5. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

Yep, I have a junker Walmart multitool that lives the same hermit life in my tyruck's console. Every now and again the pliers fix something or other. Stay well my friend!

6. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Great idea for a thread. Ive got an older german sodbuster type pocket knife that ive had for a long time. Just cant ever get rid of it. Too neat. Never use it but carry it sometimes. It was given to me by an old mentor.

TerryD and WOODSDEVIL like this.
  7. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

I like that Farmer pattern a lot. I keep meaning to buy either a SCHRADE or KISSING CRANE to use and abuse on some future project. Stay well friend!

Strigidae likes this.
  8. JV3

JV3 Member

my survive! and busse knives...i like fondling them and the destruction videos i've seen with them are impressive so i keep them for zombiepocalypse. all of them i've used (except the duplicates for backups) but i just like my mora & cheap machetes for real use.

Strigidae and WOODSDEVIL like this.
  9. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

As long as your feet aren't in the pic.

10. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Concrete and feet are an absolute given !!

11. IW17

IW17 Member

I've had this Ozark trail fixed blade I got for $2 in the clearance bin at Walmart when I was a teenager. It's been my garage beater for years and the damn thing won't quit. I doubt it would stand up to major abuse, but it's surprisingly comfortable and holds an edge forever. I'll be bummed the day it finally let's go and gets replaced.

$_57.JPG_5ac61b2e6d52f0.45858973.jpg