Coronavirus Concerns

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by Delkancott, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Frigin

Frigin Member

DiscoveryLover likes this.
  2. chorpie

chorpie Member

There have been studies of mask use, in case people were interested:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7191274/

Cliffs notes version:

JV3 and BobbyRatTail like this.
  3. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

Seen this on Twitter-

Welcome to the Freedom Cafe! We trust you to make your own choices if you want to wear a face mask. And, in the same spirit of individual liberty, we allow our staff to make their own choices about the safety procedures they prefer to follow as they prepare and serve your food.

We encourage employees to wash their hands after using the bathroom, but understand that some people may be allergic to certain soaps or may simply prefer not to wash their hands. It is not our place to tell them what to do.

We understand that you may be used to chicken that has been cooked to 165 degrees. We do have to respect that some of our cooks may have seen a meme or a YouTube video saying that 100 degrees is sufficient, and we do not want to encroach on their beliefs.

Some of our cooks may prefer to use the same utensils for multiple ingredients, including ingredients some customers are allergic to. That is a cook’s right to do so.

Some servers may wish to touch your food as they serve it. There is no reason that a healthy person with clean hands can’t touch your food. We will take their word for it that they are healthy and clean.

Water temperature and detergent are highly personal choices, and we allow our dishwashing team to decide how they’d prefer to wash the silverware you will put in your mouth.

Some of you may get sick, but almost everyone survives food poisoning. We think you’ll agree that it’s a small price to pay for the sweet freedom of no one ever being told what to do - and especially not for the silly reason of keeping strangers healthy.

4. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

Went to lunch today.
    This was outside the restaurant.
    [​IMG]

5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

The arguments for and against masks are super interesting to me and i enjoy the debate however lets keep this thread for concerns and reporting etc.

JV3 and Frigin like this.
  6. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

If interested and now might be a good time. Amazon has lifted it restrictions on most reusable respirators. I don’t know what the price was before, but def seems like a reasonable price to me.
    Managed to get 2x respirator, reusable filter plate covers, reusable filter plate and port caps for under $70.

Considering I’ve seen prices such as $10 for 2-3 KN95 masks. The reusable respirators don’t seem so bad..

Break down:

Respirator $20 x2 = $40
    Reusable filter cover pair $10
    Reusable filter base pair $10
    Filter port cap $5 x2 = $10

The reusable filter pieces come in pairs so you can split them to 2x masks. You can use disposable masks cut or folded in half In place of the “factory” filters. For the n95 specific mask the most disposable n95 masks can be cut in half and used as the filter.

If you are looking for additional protection, a Canister set can be bought for around $13. You then use the same reusable filter cover and place a disposable filter piece on top of the canister and use the cover to hold in place.

*** While these ideas are outside of normal manufactures recommendations, if you really dig into the “emergency use authorizations and guidance” from the manufactures websites they are showing similar setups. The biggest difference in my use is the single canister/ filter setup. Multiple reasons to use only one including resource conservation, enabling check welds, etc. All things to look into IMO ***

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    JV3, ASH, Adventurer and 1 other person like this.
  7. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Anything new in the Forum Covid world?

JV3 likes this.
  8. Chris Talley

Chris Talley Member

In Southeast Missouri, we are still having multiple admissions of COVID-19 cases at the hospital I work at. It seems to be trending down and we are administering many doses of vaccines (Phizer and Moderna) to the staff and public. Mask wearing is surprisingly compliant in public for the stubbornest area of the Show-Me state. Hopefully on the way of getting things more under control. November and December were definitely crisis mode at our hospital and the hospital across town, with so many positive cases and staff coming down with that crud too. Many deaths, but many more recoveries. Got my first vaccine dose last week with no issues except for a sore arm for a couple of days. Glad to see things getting better, I think!

9. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

It seems all my friends and relatives that are nurses have had it. Most near my age seems to have a hard time with it. My youngest in his twenties did not even notice it other than losing sense of smell.
    Wife is getting her first shot today because of a health issue. I am not yet 65 with no issues so will be further down the line. She is pretty paranoid about it.

RocketmanDane and JV3 like this.
  10. Kevo

Kevo Member

I got the rona a few weeks ago. It sucked...and still kinda sucks.

bright side I should be able to go get an antibody test and possibly donate some plasma to the cause.

otis, JV3, Delkancott and 2 others like this.
  11. Strigidae

Why does it still suck? Loss of smell or something?

Kevo likes this.
  12. Kevo

Kevo Member

Yeah 3 weeks past testing positive and no taste or smell back. Still have the shortness of breath and some headaches as well.

otis, JV3 and Strigidae like this.
  13. Strigidae

Dang this thing is a sucker.

JV3 and Kevo like this.
  14. Kevo

Kevo Member

it definitely came as a surprise. I consider myself in decent health too. Maybe a couple lbs to lose but 4 days a week in the gym, miles of walking and hiking regularly, decent jogging pace. Now I'm stuck having to sit down and take a few deep breaths just walking up the stairs.

JV3 and Strigidae like this.
  15. Strigidae

Oh man...

16. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

It really hits some people pretty hard.

JV3 likes this.
  17. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Our area has been interesting. Cases have been rising steadily along with deaths. However, very few people wear mask or even social distance. I’d say no more than 2 in 10 wear masks in public. I’ve had several occasions where people got visibly irritated because I stepped back to distance myself. It’s been a study in human nature. Few indications there’s a pandemic. I’ve known several people personally who have died recently. Even know people with immediate family who have died but they haven’t changed any behavior and are adamant they won’t.

Jtallen83 and JV3 like this.
  18. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

I still haven't been to work due to covid, for 3 months now. Went and got x-rays of my lungs 3 weeks ago, and the doc called and said the right lung looked good, but the left lung still had patches that hadn't healed yet. Told me to come back and get x-rayed again in 3 weeks. That was yesterday, which I did do, and was hoping for a call from the doc today to tell me the results, but I never got the call. Have to worry until Monday I guess.

JV3 likes this.
  19. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

I’m staying out of the office until death rate per day falls significantly in the state.

Cases have been dropping so I figure in a couple weeks deaths will drop also.
    If cases aren’t spiking up again with the new variants at the time I’ll go to the office more.

JV3 and Justin Bohnett like this.
  20. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Australia is loosing it's mind over one single community case yesterday.

Wisdom likes this.