The new Ford Broncos

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by C99c, Jul 14, 2020.

1. C99c

C99c Member

Being able to add the lift and lockers to different levels is nice, like what they've started offering with the Rangers (locker and skids is an add on package for either 2WD or 4WD).

I don't understand why it's not available on the manual Bronco versions

Jeep's continued failure to offer lockers in anything except the Rubicon JL/Gladiator or Mohave Gladiator packages is also a head scratcher, unless they just expect that most folks will never want them or will add aftermarket ones.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  2. Frigin

Frigin Member

Finally a vehicle my wife is actually I interested in.
    I plan on getting one over the winter but it’s between the bronco or a gmc 3500 or both.
    At least this way I can buy them and she won’t get mad at me. She still hasn’t found out I purchased my 4th Chevy luv 4x4 lol
    I’ll be selling her car this winter. I can’t wait. It’s not often she likes any vehicle.

C99c and TerryD like this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.... fixed that right up for you :D

C99c likes this.
  4. C99c

C99c Member

I wouldn't touch a first (or second) year of a new model from the "big three" but I'm glad that there are those of you who don't mind taking that risk.
    A friend of mine is pre-ordering a base model two door manual, so I'll at least get to mess around with one a little.

TerryD likes this.
  5. C99c

C99c Member

I'd edited my original post as to be more neutral, but yeah.

In good news, the friend of mine who is ordering the Bronco has now sworn off modern Jeep products after ten plus years of spending way too much time in loaner cars while dealers had his JK them JL and finally Gladiator.
    He bought a beater 4runner to drive until the Broncos are ready to ship. It's his first Toyota so I'm curious to see where he goes from now. He wasn't amused that the 20 year old plus 4runner was obviously better built and better thought out than his previous, newer and more expensive Jeeps.

6. TerryD

TerryD Member

He probably also wasn't amused that the 20y/o 4runner wasn't any cheaper than his Jeeps either.... That's why I'm in a Nissan. Can't afford that Toyota Tax...

C99c likes this.
  7. C99c

C99c Member

There's definitely a Toyota Tax, but depending on the gen/model and region it's not always a big factor.
    In the Southeast finding a decent 3rd Gen for sub $10K isn't hard.

One of the good things to come out of the 5th Gen 4runner's huge popularity is that it's taken the pressure off of (and helped lower prices on) 3rd and 4th Gens and the Lexus 460/470s. Even 80series /LX470 prices seem to be coming down in the last 18 months or so.

As more folks move to fullsize trucks the 1st Gen Tacoma prices are dropping too, if slowly.

Speaking of taxes, I'd really like to grab another Blazer with a good body and frame to build later and a C20 in decent shape. While shopping them it seems to me that the square body tax will eventually make the Toyota tax seem very reasonable.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    TerryD likes this.
  8. TerryD

TerryD Member

Agreed. I looked at pulling the coolness off my K5 crawler and buy a better body with EFI and A/C to swap to but couldn't find one in my price range. So the K5 got sold and the Xterra got built.

C99c likes this.
  9. 21stCenturyFrontiersman

21stCenturyFrontiersman Member

I am a big Yota fan, had several and my last one was a 91 4x4 pickup 22RE and loved it. These new Broncos are having me want one!

C99c and TerryD like this.
  10. C99c

C99c Member

I just found out this week that you can no longer get a 4 cyl Toyota 4WD with a manual trans. That sucks.
    I understand the reasoning (no point in producing something that a very small minority is interested in and an even smaller number will actually purchase) but it still sucks.

A 4cyl, manual 4WD Toyota is just one of those things that should always be.

11. 21stCenturyFrontiersman

21stCenturyFrontiersman Member

They could easily pump up the power on them like they did back in the 80s and slap a turbo on them with their new port/direct injection.. Oh well...

12. C99c

C99c Member

Then you have likely the same power as the V6, close to the same MPGs (there isn't much difference in the current 4 and 6 cylinders already) and add a question mark on the reliability. The great part about manual 4 cyl Toyotas was that they were simple and would run forever. That is what Toyota made their name with here in the states.

I understand why they made the decision. You don't stay in business by selling three trucks a year to people who will not need another one for twenty years. It's not Toyota's fault, it's the market.

At least Toyota and Jeep still offer manual transmission 4WDs.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  13. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

Hopefully my 2015 lasts me until I'm too old to care.

Actually I have no doubt about mechanical reliability. It's the Ohio winters I'm worried about.

C99c likes this.
  14. ASH

ASH Member

I can't answer for Toyota but I know Chrysler claims that modem automatic transmissions are more efficient than most drivers with a manual. Through my training I have learned that after profits the next most important thing to the manufacturer is meeting fuel mileage regulations and after that is making it meet emissions standards. Of course Toyota doesn't have hellcats, demons, trackhawks and the new trx truck to make up for.

IW17 and C99c like this.
  15. C99c

C99c Member

IW17 and Skip808 like this.
  16. IW17

IW17 Member

C99c likes this.
  17. C99c

C99c Member

I'm looking at buying an old farm truck from a guy I recently met.

He has at least one example of every Bronco generation made, including a Bronco 2. Every one is a manual including the '95 that was originally an auto and he swapped a 5 speed into. Needless to say, he has a preorder in for a new manual two door.

His wife is into Blazers. Her newest one is a '90. I asked her if she wanted one of the new ones and she offered to kick my ass.

Strigidae, OKcherokee and IW17 like this.
  18. C99c

C99c Member

Some friends and I LITERALLY ran into a media company's test/photo shoot/whatever of the new Broncos this weekend. No pics (per their request), but I did get to sit in a two door version for a minute. They seemed well laid out and will likely be very popular when they actually hit the market. When the supply catches up with demand so that the prices stabilize my wife and I will likely go test drive one.

For Ford's sake I hope they get them out before Jeep's next surprise is revealed (not the V8 JL). Its going to be big for offroad guys.

R Stowe likes this.
  19. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

That's awesome! I almost drove a couple hours to check them out at a big Bronco event a few months ago but the scheduling didn't work out.

I'm still open to a Bronco being my next rig depending on how this first model year works out. Last I heard they were delaying preorders, but I haven't caught any recent updates.

I think they're definitely set up to hit a home run with this one. I hope they do. Some competition will push Jeep and Toyota.

20. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.....re-badged Toyota ? Something reliable ? :D

C99c likes this.