Tell me about the ESEE treatment of 440C

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by CoolBreeze135, Jul 2, 2020.

1. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Member

Hey all,

I’ve owned a bunch of ESEEs. All of them were 1095 advertised to be in the 55-57 HRC range. I like the idea of the S35VN at a higher Rockwell, especially for the smaller models (I am really drawn to the Xancudo). However, I have never given the 440C much thought until now. I’m considering trying out a 4 in 440C, which led me to do an internet search and I came up empty. Does anyone know the Rockwell at which ESEE runs 440C? Anyone have any insight how it performs? Edge retention and ease of sharpening difference when compared to the standard 1095?

For as much ESEE content that the internet has, I honestly haven’t heard much about the 440C. I know that, at one time, the warranty for the stainless knives was different than for the 1095 blades, but that seems to be in the past. That’s the only real comparison info I can find in the archives, though.

Thanks for any input you have.

Vinton and beestokk like this.
  2. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Hardness is around 59

3. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Member

Thanks! Much appreciated!

4. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

My stainless izula is 440c and I love that steel. It’s tough but not too brittle and it’s easy to sharpen. I have had knives in 3v, s30v and 154 but I think I’d prefer the 440c. I don’t find the benefits of those other steels to be worth the cost difference usually associated with them. If you look at my posts you will see that I always say the same thing over and over and I’ll continue until the stainless izula gets the respect it deserves. I think it’s the underrated and appreciated knife in the esee lineup. It’s my most used and most carried fixed blade and that will never change. I’ve had it and used it daily for over a year and sharpened it only 2 or 3 times...

This thread needs pics lol
    CBEFDAE3-E644-4ADB-A0F6-D4F64E667BE5.jpeg DCD84464-B4E9-4797-B38B-C04728708A4C.jpeg

5. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

I was surprised with ESEE’s 440c. Better edge retention than my other knives in 440c. I would like to see the HM line in 440c

Vinton, GBuzbee, beestokk and 3 others like this.