ESEE CM6, 6, 5 and LS? What is the best use for each design?

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Wayne, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Wayne

Wayne Member

ESEE CM6, 6, 5 and LS? What is the best use for each design?
    What is each knife designed for?
    What is the best use for each knife?
    What would be the best "all around" blade angle? (I am thinking 20 per side?)
    Thanks for your thoughts:)

2. Boker55

Boker55 Member

3. Wayne

Wayne Member

OK, that makes 2 of us that would like to know:)

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  4. JMJ

JMJ Member

CM6- shanking fools
    6-any task that needs a big knife, but not Junglas big
    5-is a splitting wedge with a handle, probably my favorite fire prep knife next to my Junglas
    Laserstrike- is to me the best all around user in the lineup. It does small and large knife tasks equally well.

I've got all of those except the CM6. All of mine have 20 degree bevels done freehand on DMT stones except my 5. It's convexed on a mousepad with sand paper.

Hope that helps!

5. Wayne

Wayne Member

Just what I was looking for:)
    I have several 3's and 4's, 2 LS, a Junglas, CM6, and a 5.
    I "collect"..., well, "just gotta have" more than I use them, though I do carry a 4S-CP, Becker neck knife, and an Emerson Super Commander for "emergencies" and a Ritter Mini-Griptillian and "razor" for every day use, but do have a "thing" for knives, LOL!
    Thank you again:)

The Marsh Gorilla and JMJ like this.
  6. JMJ

JMJ Member

No problem! Yeah I've got a bit of a esee addiction myself. Only ones I don't have are the 4, cm6, lite machete and camplores.

7. Bruno_GO

Bruno_GO Member

Very good description.

8. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

That's the line of throwing knives right.

9. Spey

Spey Member

JMJ,
    Nice reply ;-)
    Will need to take another look at the Laserstrike. Can't remember specifically why, but I discounted it out of purchase contention because of some of it's features, but a quick cursory review of the spec's illustrates it would be a great all-rounder for the type of stuff I like to do :-/ Perhaps, the reason might be as simple as the my 6 rides 11:00 horizontal with two g-clips so well that I questioned why sub-down ... seat-belted in truck, bending, kneeling, hiking, etc. it's just works for me.

Any chance anyone knows, or could measure, the primary bevel angle on a 5 ?

Wayne,
    I got the 6 first, then the 3. Run them both at 15dps high grit finish. No edge related problems with what I do.

I prefer a lower cutting bevel to reduce the angle of attack to the wood (easier on my arms & hands when push-cutting). Not had any problems when edge at lower angles (15dps), but then again I live in area of softer woods (PacNW Rain Forests - Cedar, Hemlock, Fir, numerous pine and that be damned Cottonwood). I was able to harvest some Lilack last year locally and has been drying since, a few sections I spine stripped the outer/inner bark comparing a few different knives. I understand Lilac is pretty dense hardwood (nice purple strands through), and supposedly pretty nice from a woodworking viewpoint. Looking forward to testing a few different knives and their current geometries on some of this Lilac.

The Marsh Gorilla and JMJ like this.
  10. JackLondon

JackLondon Member

My 5 is the only fire prep knife I use aside from my Fiskars 36" axe for log splitting. Feathersticks, kindling, batoning, harvesting fat wood, etc all done with the 5. I've got big hands so the 5 fits well. I also never worry about bending or breaking any portion of the knife. I've beat this thing to hell.

My buddy had an LS and neither of us really cared all too much for it. It's a quality knife and most probably used for fire making and wood processing, but I just kept going back to my workhorse ESEE 5.

Don't have A 6 or CM6. Couple 3s, a couple 4s, and a few izulas. For me, the 5 was a big enough knife. If I needed anything bigger I should be swinging an axe, hatchet, machete, or splitting maul IMHO. The CM6 isn't practical for me. If I gotta stick someone, it'll be with a spring assisted folder from my weak side pocket.

KnOeFz, The Marsh Gorilla and JMJ like this.
  11. Blood Groove

Blood Groove Member

A CM6 is going to be my next ESEE knife .