Dangerous animal defense and avoidance

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Strigidae, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

I am sorry for your friend. I am not even sure what If a 12guage shot gun with slugs would have saved him. I’m used to animals with hide more than 2” thick. I still swear by my .470. I guess from reading a Cassual ,454 “might “
    Do the trick. But from what I have read a .30-30 carbine is better. I do not think I want that risk with a Grizzly bear or larger

2. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

Come on. Lol. Get the John Wain levers. But I am playing. Nice rifles

3. Chris Talley

Chris Talley Member

Color me 3 shades of confused... back to our scheduled program...

4. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

What are thé caliber? I am extremely week on lever rifles. No insults ment. But are They Marlin rifles? How do they work on smaller game like White Tale Deer???

5. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.
  6. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

I have friends that use a 45-70 with great luck on white tails. It is a very good all around cartridge in my opinion. Not very long range, but there is not much need for long range where we hunt in Alberta. I have heard there is a newish cartridge that shoots farther.... but I forget it’s name. And again. I have never used one. But I do like the marlin short barrel with the large lever. I would definitely custom make one. I think compagne that makes equipment is Guns of Alaska. Or something like that.

7. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

I can ask my friend what types of rounds he uses. He makes rounds for different animals. I think that is nuts. I use only one round for every thing. I like consistency. I was just giving you an option. I do not know what you want to hunt or where. I can tell you my rifle is good for bears, moose and elk. Not good for antipopes or whitetails or mountain goat. Kinda lots of meat wast

8. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

..... I presume you mean he reloads. Many of us do and it is both a worthwhile endeavor and rewarding in it's own right. With not much effort at all I can tune my .375H&H to hunt smaller plains game (with 235-270gn softer construction projectiles) to happily slay Cape Buffalo or Asiatic Buffalo (.300gn Hydros etc). My favourite is my .300Win I have a load that uses 180gn Nosler Ballistic Tips that are great on lighter deer or 180gn Nosler Accubonds that are a more solid construction and work better on larger bodies species. Both shot to the same point of aim, both run the same powder charge nothing to change but projectiles. I have several loads for my .308 that range from 130 to 180gn depending on what I am wishing to do. I just finished a batch of 45/70 over the weekend.

Zeek, The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.
  9. Zeek

Zeek Member

giphy(18).gif

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  10. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

Love your end handle. I do not like Jeepers. I use a lot different round than you. My lead is 500gn and solid. I know many people like making there own rounds. I also find it calming and fun. But for myself? I make my rounds to factory specs. I can only legally carry 200rds so if I stay a long time over seas? I have to buy over the counter. And honestly. My round is very common in parts of Africa
    Your .375 will do the job. Good rifle and again you can find ammunition there easily. The .300??? I have no answer for that. Do not know anyone that uses it. But where I hunt in Africa.470 and now .416 are the most used. I guess we could down load my ammunition to work for smaller game. But I have no problem with a neck shot and honestly use snares for things like squirrels and rabbits. Where I hunt getting even a clean shot at 80m is lucky

11. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

How bout some pics of this cannon?

Zeek likes this.
  12. Zeek

Zeek Member

I've always been a fan of the Krieghoff Classic Double in .470

Krieghoff-Classic-470-Double-Rifle_101182326_90_99E611B1C3A98124.jpg

Kevin, The Marsh Gorilla and Frigin like this.
  13. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

I accept lots of ideas. My brother uses a .270. He thinks like Wetherbey did. A small fast round. I just went what every one else uses in Africa. Lol. Sorry but I have no faith in a small fast round vs over 2” of thick skin

14. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

Wow. That is a sexy rifle

15. Zeek

Zeek Member

Ahh... I have fond memories of reading Jack O'Connor talk about the .270 Winchester as a teenager.

16. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

My brother uses a .270 Tika with a scope. Not my idea of a proper bush rifle. Good plains rifle for smaller game. Long range. But again. Where I live or where I hunt. Too small and deflection from trees or brush. I will never trust anything less than my .470. But there are crazy people out there. Even where I live in Canada some fools try to use a .22LR to shoot wild pigs? Ya bad idea. Suggest not to try that

17. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

I have only one picture of me. It was not hunting my wife though I looked “cute”. It was in Peru. As recent history shows. Hunting pictures hurt people. I’m glad I have none. To see my rifle look up Rigby Rising Bite. I have no picture of Her and do not want to take a picture. My wife? She is different. She used to be an international model. She has lots of pictures. Just not of hunting

18. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Should just go to the limit and get a .50 BMG rifle:confused:

Chris Talley and Zeek like this.
  19. Zeek

Zeek Member

Ahh... Tikkakoski rifles. I'm a big fan. Good ole Martin Stenij. I'd love to have one of the original M27 rifles.

20. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.....it's a very common round in North America, excellent for Elk and similar sized game at longer ranges. In my youth I took a good number of Asiatic Buffalo with the .300Win loaded with 180gn RN though I preferred the .375H&H. I have also hunted hogs with .22LR though it's certainly not my first choice. Took more than my share of hogs with just a knife when i was younger and more nimble of course.... :D