Dangerous animal defense and avoidance

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Strigidae, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Kevin

Kevin Member

The West coast of Newfoundland (The best coast)
    I'm just looking for a single bullet of one, a cartridge. If you have one to sell.

Regards,
    Kevin

2. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

Never used one. But supposed a .45-70 can also us a 410 shot shell. Do not quote me. I never used one. And supposedly before I was born a guy killed all dangerous 7 with a 45-70. Might be an idea for you. Depends on where you go. And you know legal law in Canada. I can get a single round rifle. But I need to see your PAL. What Ontario has different laws than Alberta? I can give you the name number of a big game hunting rifle store if I don’t get kicked out. Hey. It’s so simple. Look up. I’m going to pay for this. Rigby rifle and Sones. And wait to get one. All hand made. I would suggest a bigger company that does not do custom rifles. And if you do go custom. Get the Rising Bite. But stop smashing Our Oil Sands!! That’s where I make my coin!!! For four months a year I work in the Ft Mac area. Canadian isue

3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I think he just wants to buy a single loaded cartridge for his collection not a whole rifle......

4. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

Sorry. My bad

Kevin likes this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Member

Yes the the single loaded cartridge is a lot closer to the budget I was thinking of. PM me Mark if you can help me out.

BTW I spent some time in 1999 in Botswana and a few days in SA and Zimbabwe. Didn't do any hunting, mostly working in Gabs for Raytheon.
    Regards,
    Kevin

6. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

Type in .416 single barrel rifle. I found Ruger Mark One in many calibre. I am not selling the company. But they have some good reviews. I would and did go with Rigby. Not telling you where to buy. Just where to look.

7. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

You can get a .450 Bush Master (never used it) from Savage Arms. Dirt cheep. About $800’cananadian. I would like to compare its ability with a .416. But it is late and sleep is needed Sorry

8. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

I will not tell you the rifle you need for big game. I can just tell you what I know and what other people use. I would suggest against a single barrel single round rifle. I have missed when startled and have wounded a large animal with my first round. More times than I like. But the second fast round always finishes the job. And if I was allowed I would tell you where to buy proper kit. My 2 canteen holders carry 4 rounds each. My rucksack carry’s two rounds in pouches on the shoulder straps. Extra 4 rounds fast to get. And two pouches that carry 5 fast rounds. I’m a great shooter. Sniper qualification from Djibouti 13DBLE. But we all miss when shocked. Served in most of east Africa and a North South America. Sir ! I would really suggest a double rifle in .416. But that is my opinion. Not truth. Use what makes you happy and are comfortable with

9. IW17

IW17 Member

10. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Pretty sure thats steve french posted a few pages back

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  11. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Watch "Trailer Park Boys - Bubbles Says Goodbye to Steve French" on YouTube

12. Kevin

Kevin Member

I think this is a case of two people separated by a common language.

IW17 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  13. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

For bear and cats anything that can give space makes me feel better.. if i ever have to back away from either id Prefer to have somthing between us. A sharpened walking stick can make alot of noise against trees, tactically might not do much in reality, but it gives me at least a false 50% boost in confidence :D I live in an area where both are present and you cant carry any types of firearms. Spray and bangers are also light and effective worst case defenses !

14. Kevin

Kevin Member

Wife and I were walking in Newfoundland on a nature trail. Saw a fox ahead of us walking towards us 50 yards or so. We both stopped to watch him thinking he would soon run off. He didn't, he came right up to us while for the last 20 yards I was banging a walking stick against the gravel and trees. It didn't phase him at all. I though he might have rabies. We stepped off the trail and he just walked past us, we were 2 feet away.

Twoody88 likes this.
  15. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

He would be getting a nice happy gilmore style drive with that stick if he was coming hard !!

16. Andy the Aussie

....... yes this.....

Kevin and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  17. Andy the Aussie

.....Mark he is still just looking for a cartridge for a collection (as in a single cartridge) not a rifle of any description. I see you are however trying to help and that is admirable just that yo are at crossed points right now.

Cheers

Andy

Kevin, The Marsh Gorilla and IW17 like this.
  18. Zeek

Zeek Member

Check out the Sako Brown Bear in 450 Rigby. ;)

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  19. Andy the Aussie

hush you...!!!!

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  20. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Member

Ummm????? Don’t know what that means. I do not want to send my knife to anyone. And I did say I have never used or know of anyone that uses a single barrel rifle or a pistol in the bush. And my knives are custom made by a friend in Dartmouth NS Canada