Coronavirus Concerns

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by Delkancott, Jan 30, 2020.

1. DirtySouth

DirtySouth Member

Our bank went to drive thru only and people started making a run on then pulling as much out as they could.

2. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Do what is everyone's recommendation for a food supply? How much should we keep on hand right now? In general the US produces quite a bit of food... But things could change, plants could face production issues, or distribution could be disrupted. How much food on hand is adequate at a time like this?

3. ASH

ASH Member

I just helped my sister carry a desk in the house for my niece. My brother in law is a radiologist, he says they can tell if a patient has the Corona virus by ct'ing the lungs before the test results come back. Of course that's just the patients that are really bad. I don't know how many cases they are seeing a day, but he says it's 3x as bad as they make it out to be on the tv. He and his co-workers know it's just a matter of time before they get it, said you can see it in their faces. He said 1 in 6 of the people they see will die. They had a older veteran in being scanned for other reasons, he said if they missed a spot sanitizing and he caught the virus it would kill him.

It looks like this thing is already taking it toll on our health care workers.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  4. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

I don’t think there’s a set amount, because we just don’t know how everything will unfold. If you go by what China experienced, 6 weeks would be good?

I’d love to have a years worth of freeze dried food in the pantry.

C99c, Adventurer, Lostviking and 3 others like this.
  5. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

For anyone in shelter in place state (IL, CA), what are your restrictions? Is anyone stopping you from actually going for a hike or something?

C99c, Lostviking and Strigidae like this.
  6. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

From what I have read people aren’t being locked in their homes.

They are just making “non essential” businesses close. Nothing being open gives people less reason to go out and gather in close proximity.
    Folks are allowed to be outside, just no gathering in groups.

7. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

Three things that worry me in no particular order.

#1. The Virus
    #2. The Economy/Stock Market
    #3. The Government/Mission Creep.

Depending on my mood, and the events of the day. These three move up and down the scale.

Further down the scale, is my job. I expect it will vaporize soon. I can’t control that.
    Fortunately, we live simply,

I see job loss as an opportunity.
    If the job ends. I think I am pulling up stakes and getting west of the Mississippi.
    If I could throw a dart. It would be somewhere near Bonners Ferry.

I said to my wife this morning actually. 20-30 acres and a Yurt may be in our future.
    Maybe a small cabin. But I like the Yurt Idea, because it’s portable.

Just thinking out loud at the moment. But The Northeast has lost it’s appeal for me.

I may look further south, but snakes, gators, and Fiddlebacks, worry this northern boy.

JV3, C99c, Neilsen and 3 others like this.
  8. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

I think this is a wild card.
    The U.S produces a lot of food.

Obviously the Covid-19 is a factor.
    But possibly and perhaps more important.
    There is a huge locust plague ranging from Sub-Saharan Africa north into parts of Asia.
    Crops in these areas are being devoured at an exponential rate.
    These voracious bugs can eat a years work of crops in a day or two.

This issue and the news of it has taken a distant back seat to Covid-19. But in reality, it may kill way more people in thhe long run.

JV3, C99c, Adventurer and 2 others like this.
  9. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Plant your gardens fellas. 3FA5ADD6-A9B7-4176-BC7E-50B3C25ECCFC.jpeg

JV3, The Marsh Gorilla, C99c and 7 others like this.
  10. Kevo

Kevo Member

I'm in IL. We are allowed to go shop, exercise, hike, order food for curbside pickup or delivery from restaurants, and other things like that. Non critical businesses are closed, but those in support of critical work are still open. We have a lot of warehouses and such still pumping orders out for various industries to keep things moving along.

11. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Yeah, I got a pallet of product there that so far we’ve been unsuccessful at getting picked up and sent this way.

Kevo likes this.
  12. Kevo

Kevo Member

I think the big hangup over here is going to end up being trucking and logistics. The last week or so at my work had been a flood of calls and orders to try and get projects moved up and out the door before the hammer comes down.

13. Kevo

Kevo Member

We also have the issue here of a lack of clear guidance on what is considered critical business.

14. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

Thankfully my wife and I bought our usual 30 pack of toilet paper a few weeks ago, and always have a least 3 weeks of food on hand. We're both able to work from home, but she works for a publishing company and business is slow, so I'm sure layoff's will be coming soon. The company I work for provides an emergency communication service, so I've actually been quite busy with work. Make me feel pretty fortunate. Stay safe out there, everyone!

15. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Same here.

Lostviking, Strigidae and Kevo like this.
  16. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Went the the local grocery store today just to refill a few items, and mom and dad wanted some stuff as well.

All the normal stuff you would expect is gone.
    If you have a wider palette there is plenty of food.
    IE, no green beans or regular canned corn, but if you are good with hominy or creamed corn they had plenty.

Baking aisle was hit pretty hard, but found some lard.

No normal rice or beans, but if you are a Quinoa lover they are fully stocked.

Pretty much, nobody is going to starve, they may just have to cook up some ground turkey with canned beets and artichokes.

Strigidae, ASH and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  17. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

My wife went to the grocery store to refresh our produce this morning.

They had most everything. Meat, rice, beans, etc. She even found some TP for a friend of ours who was out.

It seems to be slowing down a bit around here, at least until the next big announcement.

18. jafo

jafo Member

Right. That's what happened here. There was a rush, then it tapered a bit and last thursday they announced a stay at home order which started the whole mess again. Thats supposed to be getting enforced now but they are apparently calling up guardsman to make it legit monday morning at 8am. Restaurants are still open for take out and curb side delivery. Tons of businesses closed though. People have been clogging the state and county parks like nothing is going on. I'm curious to see if that persists or they start to send people home.

19. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Eerily quiet around here with no cars going by outside. Feels like martial law. Illinois dispatching national guard units to "help" with the virus. What are they gonna do, shoot it with their m-16's?

20. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Promised the kiddos If they did all their school work this week I would take them to the park to take photos today. For a kinda sketch park that I rarely that many people it was sure being used today. I noticed people where being very aware of staying in their own little groups spaced out extremely well thou. I normally see maybe 10 to 15 people At most but today there was easily 100 plus.
    Luckily it is a rather large park with a rather large disk golf course. (I think 18 “holes”) This is the area that is perfect for showing kiddos a bunch of cool nature stuff to photograph as it weaves all through the park across creeks, through trees, swampy areas, along ponds and through a community garden.

Overall the “distancing” thing that we are all trying to do is so far going pretty well. And we are still getting a chance to teach about nature and be outside :)

Didn’t go to the store today but drove by and it was as packed as it has been for a while...