How do you tighten pinned balisong handles?

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Michael W., Mar 16, 2020.

1. Michael W.

Michael W. Member

F7E2D776-C078-40AC-9B13-3B54C40C22A6.jpeg 0246B440-E7E9-4AB0-9B7A-E9BE1D558AF0.jpeg

I just got a Pacific Coast Cutlery model 68 (pre Benchmade) in trade and the pinned handles are extremely loose. Does anyone know how to tighten them up?

2. Bozho

Bozho Member

Perhaps wrapping them with something so you won't scratch them and then gently tapping the pivot with a small hammer or using a vise - just like thighting the pivot of a folder like a Buck 110 ?

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  3. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

Short of sending it in (idk how benchmade treats PCC models), the only thing I could think of would be bending it in gently like Bozho mentioned, or coming up with some kind of shim,

I’ve heard of people taking the old pinned models, holding them by the opposite end, and hitting them on the pins, using the weight of the knife to bend it back in vs. a hammer. It’s easier to bend it in than you'd think.

4. Chris Talley

Chris Talley Member

I’d send it in. I suppose you could send them an email first to make sure they’d do the work. I sent Benchmade a knife last month to be cleaned, reprofiled and sharpened and was very happy with their turnaround time and overall work on the blade... still wish they sharpened serrations though. Good luck!

5. Michael W.

Michael W. Member

Yeah that’s what I’m gonna do. I called them yesterday so I will hopefully be sending it to them next week.