fishing line question

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by Mike Perrin, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Mike Perrin

Mike Perrin Administrator Staff Member

If you had to roll up a bit of fishing line and store it for a long time and expect it to be good at a later date and not develop a 'memory' to being rolled up small or rot like some monofilament line does.... what would you use?
    Mike

Strigidae likes this.
  2. IW17

IW17 Member

Braided line. Something in the 30-50lbs range. It's still relatively thin, (I believe the diameter is equal to mono at 8-10 lbs) yet strong enough for other uses as well. Braid doesn't develop much memory. And what little memory it does develop, goes away quickly. Plus mono and fluorocarbon can degrade over time, especially with exposure to uv rays.

Zeek likes this.
  3. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Mike Perrin
    I would look at Kevlar based/ braided fishing lines. When I had line put on my new pole for saltwater fishing that is what I asked for and haven’t had any problems with it and it is STRONG.

Maybe look at archery fishing line. I have not seen it in person but know it’s pretty strong and is not supposed to get memory. When I was trying to google the info on my fishing line for you, the archery line kept coming up is why I mention it. Some appeared really thick but others looked almost regular fishing line thickness.

4. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

I'd agree with the braided line suggestion. Wickedly stout for its diameter, virtually no memory (which is one reason I use it on spinning tackle for bass fishing). You need to research knots a bit though. The Palomar & Uni Knot are two of the recommended knots. The Clinch & Improved Clinch Knot are not recommended, as braid is fairly slick and the knots might fail.

5. IW17

IW17 Member

The clinch/improved clinch are actually fine as long as you double back through the eye once again before starting your knot.

Zeek likes this.
  6. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

I gave up on the clinch knots when I first started playing with braid probably 8 years ago. I could never get them to a point where they wouldn't slip under load, but I never tried the doubling you describe.

I've used a San Diego Jam (or doubled SDJ) as my terminal knot on almost everything for the past 3 seasons. I use a variant of the uni for tying drop shot rigs.

IW17 likes this.
  7. Mudman

Mudman Member

I vote braid as well.

8. Mike Perrin

Mike Perrin Administrator Staff Member

Noted. We are currently looking to update some kit contents and this will help steer the direction of the upgrades.
    Thank you!

otis, Strigidae and Creaky Bones like this.
  9. Mudman

Mudman Member

I think this will be a good choice. We know you are a detailed person Mike. There's lots of different options for braided line- some with a lot of smoke and mirrors high tech bs. I've fished a lot of braid, and the only thing I've noticed between really expensive and really cheap braid- is some are smoother than others. Some claim to fray less, but I haven't seen a difference.

For this application, I don't think it matters. All are super strong, you just have to be careful with it. I've gotten some nasty cuts from handling braid bare handed.

DYSPHORIC JOY likes this.
  10. ASH

ASH Member

I am thinking braided line with similar diameter to 6lb mono.

11. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Member

Braid has the least memory by a mile. I'd go with a really lightweight braid. Maybe 6 or 8 lb.

12. shivermetimbers

shivermetimbers Member

Braid as well. Casts really well also. I’ve cut myself on braid also, 10 pound spectra pro. Was finishing up a palomar knot, due to the thin profile, it opened me up. Keep that in mind.

13. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

Take a look at powerpro or sufix braided lines.

Zeek likes this.