Important Announcement (Seriously)

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Aug 14, 2019.

1. erik

erik Member

I've never had any issues with a liner or compression lock - just the frame lock.

as to slip joints "slipping" - that's pretty rare in my experience, unless they're extremely dirty or worn out.

2. DiverLiam

DiverLiam Member

People complained about the Medellin? Mine’s been great, used it to cut apart hydroponic cannabis setups, bloody clothing, its a workhorse. I did modify the handle scale with a file to give my thumb easier access to the lock bar, but that was a personal thing. The only edge damage it got was cutting a 4wd tyre apart (photos in the other thread).

I shall continue to use my first production run knife like it was intended. And I’ll probably buy the next folder as well.

3. BigJake

BigJake Member

Heck with the knives. I want to know when the new stickers are coming out.

4. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I got some cool ones in the works!

5. JAD

JAD Member

I bought two of these at introduction. One is being used very hard and the other remains in its original box. It is a bitch knife for weekend projects working on my house or at the farm. It has pried open cans, scraped caulk off gutters, and dug dirt. This is stuff I would never subject one of my "better" knives to unless I was really desperate.

The steel (AUS 8 -- if my memory is any good?) is one of the best features of this knife.

On the other hand....

The knife is well designed but I feel was poorly executed. "Finicky issues" like a shallow thumb cavity making it hard to deploy and a difficult lock mechanism for releasing to close. I addressed these issues with modifications that improved performance immensely or I wouldn't still be using the knife.

Suggestions:

I like the steel upgrade to S35v.

I would prefer a slightly smaller size, think small Sebenza (although not opposed to carrying in the present size large Sebenza)

I am a traditionalist and would really like to see a well executed slip joint (or wouldn't mind a lockback design like the Smith and Sons Mudbug--without the Sodbuster blade)

Damn the collectors and think in terms of an honest to goodness user, like the Medellin was originally conceived.

C99c and Jeff Randall like this.
  6. IW17

IW17 Member

I'll chime in and say my biggest must is the ability to open and close it with one hand. Me personally, I find myself in situations quite regularly that I have one hand occupied and need to deploy a blade while holding on to something. Especially at work.

Also, and this isn't a deal breaker, but micarta grips on a folding knife are fantastic. I swapped out the g10 on my pm2 for canvas micarta and it's been a dream. Especially on a slim profile handle, which is something else I appreciate on a folder, as it rides nice in the pocket.

Oh, and a pocket clip. Sorry to the traditionalists out there, but grandpa's slip joint floating around the bottom of my pocket, laying perpendicular across my thigh is not how I want to carry my knife.

7. C99c

C99c Member

This describes me as well. Also, I'm often wearing gloves. Everything from Mechanics type to thick leather ones. If a knife doesn't work well no matter what I'm wearing then it generally gets passed along.

Same here. For some reason I carried a Victorinox Cadet yesterday all day. Just loose in my pocket. Every time I needed it and and had to dig it out and open it I was reminded why I don't carry knives like that.

I could care less about steel and stuff like that. I just want a knife that is easy to access and can be opened and closed without needing to give it any thought.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    mtngoat and IW17 like this.
  8. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Well, I appreciate the input. So, if I'm reading correctly, we all agree on a folding knife that is a traditional slipjoint with a modern clip that is made of SVDAUS35108 steel, that has G10, Micarta, and titanium scales, with frame, liner and lockback locks. The size should be a small Large. That about cover it? Other than it needs to be made in the US at China prices?

Man, we GOT THIS!

9. IW17

IW17 Member

We'd also like for it to be made immediately available. Gracias.

Expat and hma153 like this.
  10. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

..,....and stickers....don't forget the stickers......

Strigidae and BigJake like this.
  11. BigJake

BigJake Member

This!

12. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Make whatever you want...were gonna buy it no matter what

13. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

......exactly....we all know a knife is totally defective unless it comes with stickers... ;)

Strigidae likes this.
  14. JAD

JAD Member

I often tell my kids (and occasionally others), when it comes to a decision involving a group, don't ask everybody what they think. Just decide. There generally won't be a consensus and you'll drive yourself crazy trying to make everyone happy.

Build another 'Expat' knife. Something you like and something you would use. There are people that will buy it just because you endorse it.

Sidenote: I own two cleavers that say Expat "and I don't know why" -- from a movie that I don't recall.

Jeremiah Jones, mtngoat and Strigidae like this.
  15. Joosr

Joosr Member

I think the main idea of “An esee 3 in folder form” is just genious! I Love the way it looks and i hope you won’t throw it overboard but adjust it. In essence and idea it just makes so much sence! I’d love to get my hands om one one day. My opinion: you’ve got the right idea (off course, becouse you thought it trough). Get the details right and you’re there!

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  16. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

As stated above It's, It's all in the fine details of the stickers shipped with the knife !!