need help finding a good portable charger for camping

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by SunVro, Jun 14, 2019.

1. SunVro

SunVro Member

i was originally gonna go with something that could jump start a car 4 times on one charge. the reviews seem okay and it was $140 so id imagine for that price its decent. but i dont need to jump start my car, i need to charge my phone and extra batteries etc. what do you guys use? what should i look out for? ive noticed alot of cheap chinese brands off amazon so im a bit weary before i buy one of these. any and all feedback is appreciated. thanks!

2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

head on over to General Discussion and introduce yourself with a pic and brief intro.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  3. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I use an Anker they have several different sizes to charge every thing from your phone to a laptop. I think I have a 10000 and a 35000 and the 10 can charge an iPhone 8 from dead to full about 3 times before a charge.

Mike Smith, SunVro and C99c like this.
  4. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

SunVro likes this.
  5. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I have been a big fan of the Pocket Juice by Tzumi. The #1 reason I have liked these is they come with a built in wall plug. They have a 12000 mah version which I know is not at the high end of capacity but I can tell you the trade off is well worth it to have the built in plug. I cannot tell you how many times I have had tried to use a batter pack that then runs out and need to be charged.... AND of course I have either forgot the wall plug a home or left it at home to save space.....
    I am sure there might be other chargers out there with built in plugs but this is the one I have had great success with and and would buy again.

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-USB-Portable-Charger-Built/dp/B0742NFNN9

SunVro likes this.
  6. hma153

hma153 Member

I've had good experience with OUTXE products on multi-day/week long(er) trips. Don't expect to bring it to full charge on the solar panel alone, but you can count on the panel to extend the charge. Can buy direct of find them in the South American rainforest store.

7. C99c

C99c Member

We've got half a dozen Anker models in various sizes and they've been great.

Mike Smith and mtngoat like this.
  8. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

In the bush a Swiss Mobility Power Banks and folding solar panel to charge it.....this covers all my camera and other batteries and while I don't use it for a phone it certainly will...

[​IMG]

Willow, SunVro and mtngoat like this.
  9. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

+1

10. SunVro

SunVro Member

thank you all very much!

11. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Member

I also use Anker external chargers/power banks.

Recently I picked up a quardrapro 5.5 watt portable solar wireless power bank from Survival Frog but haven’t had the opportunity to use it.

12. Theo

Theo Member

Another Anker fan here. Have probably 6 of various sizes, never had an issue with any of them.

Mike Smith likes this.
  13. Mudman

Mudman Member

imo the battery packs work better for me, the solar type charges tend to take super long. I have a pretty big one, charges fast. Although once it's done, I need to charge it again. But 99% of the trips I've done over 1-2 days, and that's enough battery for me.

14. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Member

Update on the quardrapro 5.5 watt portable solar wireless power bank from Survival Frog .
    It’s going back! It wouldn’t charge itself via solar and would only provide 20 - 30% of a charge for my phone after charging the external battery via USB.

15. erik

erik Member

I was thinking one of the Goal Zero folding solar panels - which are fairly common on this side of the planet. :)

16. Willow

Willow Member

My setup is similar to Andy's but with (2) 5w PowerFilm panels. I use a different charger but the same eneloop batteries. I also carry a CR123 charger for CR123 batteries.

DiscoveryLover likes this.
  17. Willow

Willow Member

One thing I forgot to mention for those of you who are looking at using solar panels is to make sure you get a regular charger and not a "quick" charger. Some of the quick chargers require too much amperage for the solar panel to satisfy and you wind up with a blinking light and dead batteries. I use the Duracell CEF23DX4N model charger that can act as a battery bank by charging USB devices from the batteries in the charger.

Mike Smith likes this.