The Bushman Chronicles!

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Bushman5, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

June 9/2019, 20 Deg C, sunny/cloudy, "The Game Camera Placement, Flag Off FSR Hazards, Starvation Lake Hike, Sea To Sky Trail Hike, Bear Signs, Bear Signs, Bear Signs, Find An Elderly Man Weeping By The Cliffs Tour"

My intent today (well actually Sunday) was to place 4 game cameras high up in the Mamquam FSR area, Up the Skookum Creek Powerplant River valley, for a hunting buddy of mine. He had seen my pics of the creek bed and wanted to get some game cameras placed, to see if moose or deer fed in the area......and then plan for a hunt.

I drove up the Mamquam FSR, just before the penstock and tried to find a hiking route down into the creek bottom.

IMG_6700.JPG

I drove up and down the FSR, trying to find an access point to scramble down into the bottom of the valley........Not a single spot that was safe to even scramble. This was the best access point and it was too steep, and the forest too thick. I texted him and said how you gonna haul dressed meat from a moose up this? his response was "i didn't think about that....."

IMG_6699.JPG

We chatted for a bit, I told him to hike into the topof the Ring Creek Lava Flow and hunt form there........

As I drove out , I marked off several danger zones along the FSR

IMG_6697.JPG IMG_6704.JPG

on the way down the Mamquam FSR,I spied a MASSIVE predator bird, surfing the wind currents.....thats a 5'+ wingspan

IMG_6713.JPG

BigJake, Switchblade, Zeek and 3 others like this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

June 9/2019, 20 Deg C, sunny/cloudy, "The Game Camera Placement, Flag Off FSR Hazards, Starvation Lake Hike, Sea To Sky Trail Hike, Bear Signs, Bear Signs, Bear Signs, Find An Elderly Man Weeping By The Cliffs Tour"

Continued

So the game camera placement in the creek bottom was a bust....I just didn't feel like braining myself onto the rough rocks while sliding/falling/scrambling incredibly rough terrain. Althogh I HAVE considered bushwaking wearing a Team Wendy Helmet with a GoPro and a couple of Surefire Flashlights mounted....I just dont want to be that guy.....I already look like im heading for battle....pretty sure if I went with a Team Wendy helmet to protect my noggin, I would get some serious stares/WTF's and worse.

I locked the cameras in the truck box, set the alarm and slid the cross bar over and locked it. Buddy has about $600 CAD tied up in his cameras, and while I can cover the loss if need be, I'd rather not.

Drove all the way up and back down the FSR, back onto the SEA TO SKY and headed for the Cullition Creek area. Just past the new bridge and power project, there is a FSR (unmarked/unnamed) with a locked yellow gate. I've been wanting to check out this access route for a long time.

Parked the truck, emptied the jerry cans (hot theft item) into the gas tank and donned the L.R.R.P.R. Rig and started walking. Right off the bat, big ol fresh pile of bear scat.

IMG_6718.JPG

you have no idea how much i love old roads like this.

IMG_6719.JPG
    de-rated road....only Hydro pickup trucks can access now.

IMG_6721.JPG IMG_6722.JPG \
    \
    just a ton of these bluffs in this area

IMG_6724.JPG

heading down now, meandering thru the forest. IMG_6725.JPG

thistle plant IMG_6731.JPG
    meandering along........

IMG_6733.JPG IMG_6736.JPG
    enterig a change in forest growth and type of trees
    IMG_6738.JPG

more bear scat
    IMG_6739.JPG

20 feet later, bear scat

IMG_6740.JPG

emerging from the forest onto the bluffs overlooking the valley. IMG_6748.JPG

pics don;t tell you how freaking massive this area is. Starvation Lake below, about a 900' drop

IMG_6751.JPG

just massive IMG_6754.JPG IMG_6755.JPG

good shot of my Direct Action MK2 Horizontal Med Pouch, JayJayBreconUK Patrol Yoke, TYR Tactical Jungle butt pack, SORD AUS pouches and Patrol Order Belt

IMG_6760.JPG

couple Blue Force Gear PR radio pouches for the magnum cans of taco seasoning , er, bear spray. Sord AUS beacon pouch and Blueforce gear PR/battery pouch (bear spray and TQ/Izzy dressing and bug dope)
    IMG_6770.JPG

lots of flowers blooming IMG_6780.JPG

Fricking hell bear! what are you eating? too much skunk cabbage giving you the poops? IMG_6786.JPG

carried on down the ever increasing steep and washed out road.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    BigJake, Switchblade, Zeek and 3 others like this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Continued

the old road became increasingly steep and washed out. Steep enough and washed out enough that 4WD and lockers would be required to head back up. IMG_6790.JPG

approx 2.5km steep descent and I reached Starvation lake. Nice little tenting site here.
    IMG_6792.JPG

DEEP LAKE, about 5' deep not even 5' out.

IMG_6794.JPG

not a damn fish in it - hence the name (Starvation Lake)

IMG_6797.JPG

old road along the lake, meandering along.

IMG_6801.JPG

couple rustic campsites, love the raised bed but it looks like parts of it were used for firewood......

IMG_6809.JPG

IMG_6811.JPG

tail heading South back down towards Squamish

IMG_6813.JPG

IMG_6828.JPG

poop makers.....Canada Geese on a log.

IMG_6832.JPG

blight on a leaf

IMG_6836.JPG

trail heading North(ish). Air smelled like vanilla , pine and dryness.

IMG_6837.JPG

climbing up and up

IMG_6843.JPG

looking down at one of many train tunnels bored thru the canyon

IMG_6848.JPG

massive bluffs. Just breathtaking the sheer ruggedness of this canyon

IMG_6850.JPG

Cheakamus River, THUNDERING as it weaves it way down the mountains. You should hear and see it during spring thaw/FLOOD :confused:
    IMG_6855.JPG

Bark River/ Vehement Knives MACV Recondo (@Strigidae Dooooo Iiiiit! :D) and the Lil Whipsnapper ESEE CR2.5

IMG_6864.JPG

I grow my root this way. Nothing stops me.......
    IMG_6867.JPG

one of many commons dangers on a lot of trails here....falling trees and huge rocks

IMG_6869.JPG

BigJake, Zeek, Datilite and 4 others like this.
  5. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Don't let social stigma dissuade you from protecting your brain. I don't know a single alpine hiker that doesn't carry a helmet. If you want a cheaper option, go for a Petzl Vertex Vent. It's standard in the rescue world, good helmet, surprisingly durable, lightweight etc.

Gotta admit though, those Team Wendy helmets are nice.

Bushman5 and C99c like this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I got 3 Petzl Vertx Vents! one set up with ear muffs and mesh chainsaw shield, one set up with Peltor ear muffs, and one bare for rock climbing

but those Team Wendy's......the rails offer so much in terms of mounting gear...and part of e REALLY wants to slap on a GoPro and some Surefire weapons lights....for old adit/mineshaft exploring.

Zeek and Reno Lewis like this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I'll update this recent hike and pics in the next few days...i'm kinda pissed that i pay $120 a month for FIBER OPTIC internec....and its super SLOW>

Zeek likes this.
  8. C99c

C99c Member

+1. Get a helmet. The Petzl are good and inexpensive enough to have extras.
    Don't hang stuff off the helmet that doesn't have to be there.
    Head injuries suck, but so do neck injuries.

Bushman5 and Reno Lewis like this.
  9. Reno Lewis

We're on Shaw 300 mbps for like $80 a month, haven't had many issues. You using wifi or ethernet?

10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

neither, Fiber Optic baby! weeeeeee little glass tubes transmitting pulse of light and data at insane fast GIGABYTE speeds. At first it was insane...download 10 movies in less than 60 seconds.

now its slow

UPDATE: now resolved,back to normal.

Zeek likes this.
  11. Reno Lewis

Oh, so a wired connection then, directly into your computer?

A capped speed can often mean a damaged cable.

Bushman5 likes this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Continued

other end of the fallen tree.....a douglas fir. You could already see the bark worn where dumbarses walked out on it (it sticks out over a 1500 foot drop.

IMG_6873.JPG
    you want to slow down your bike here....no seriously....

IMG_6877.JPG

more bluffs

IMG_6879.JPG
    cliff edge trail

IMG_6881.JPG
    approx 500'down , and the river just thundering and churning
    IMG_6883.JPG
    trail slid out from the grating.......

IMG_6887.JPG
    I freaking love this trail!
    IMG_6891.JPG

would have been better with a train rolling thru but this is pretty damm impressive IMG_6892.JPG

severe danger from above IMG_6895.JPG

you have no idea how huge this old slide is////

IMG_6899.JPG

more canyon/mountain views. Just wow. IMG_6900.JPG
    freeze, expand, crack,fall and kill.

IMG_6902.JPG

leaving the forest the trail climbs high again, opening up to bluffs (lots of climbing areas hidden up here) IMG_6906.JPG

bluff and more bluffs IMG_6907.JPG
    St John Wort
    IMG_6909.JPG

13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Continued

a view to make you feel small and insignificant........

IMG_6911.JPG

flowers to break up the green......

IMG_6912.JPG

IMG_6913.JPG

Spiny Boi

IMG_6917.JPG

heard some voices (not the good kind in yer noggin ! :D ) from the bluffs above and spotted these two climbing. Chatted with them later on the return trip IMG_6921.JPG
    there is a rive way down there somewhere....
    IMG_6922.JPG

another vista to make you feel small...... IMG_6923.JPG

I was running out of time (work next day) so i grudgingly truned around and ehaded back. Pulled up the socks, tightened the boot laces , snugged up the JayJay's Patrol Harness, drained the last of my water, started the stopwatch (and Timer) and just HAMMERED HARD back down/up the trail. 5 minutes beep beep beep......go from a fast jog to a walk.....5 minutes beep beep beep HAMMER..........

got back to the lake in about 45 minutes.

facd with a brutal steep hill slog UP to the where the truck was , I stopped to brew up a double strong coffee. Used birch bark (the birch bark smoke is EXTREMELY effective for smudging skeeters and no seeums. ) threw in some fatwood for good measure

IMG_6929.JPG IMG_6930.JPG IMG_6931.JPG IMG_6935.JPG
    these are not the flames from the burner cup, the smoke was igniting
    IMG_6939.JPG

The If All Else Fails, Its Pissing Rain/Snowing, Just Fell Into The River In Winter, Gotta Get A Fire Going Now Kit.

MagPul DAKA pouch, EXOTAC MatchCap (with STORM matches) Esee Standard Fire Steel, S&S Precision LockOut Case (with 50 PJCB) and a pile of wax dipped cotton discs

IMG_6940.JPG

this is the ONLY place you want a heavy creosote build up in your "Chimney" - You get this stuff burning in your Kelly Kettle, Ghillie Kittle, MKettle SAS boiler, you get hot water FAST
    IMG_6941.JPG

Fueled up with caffeine and hate (that i gotta work the next morning and cant camp out here) I again did the 5 min intervals up the insanely steep washed out road, back to the truck. Another 45 min of hell and sweat. I was so pumped from finding this lake and trail and the exertions that i'm pretty sure if a bear had crossed my path i would have choke hold'ed it and layed a flurry of fists into its snout, before kicking its azz outta here with my boot. PUMPED!
    IMG_6955 (1).JPG

got back to the truck, stinking of bug dope, sunscreen, sweat, garlic and beers coming thru my pores , very grateful for the ice cold air con. :cool:

14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Continued

had to fire off a banger or two.....the echo was amazing as it rolled around the mountains.

the river and train trestle

on the highway drive home, I pulled over at the lookout on the 99 to check something on one of my tires. Noticed an elderly Sikh man, dressed in traditional garb , sitting on the rock wall by the cliffs, he was weeping. Not sure if he was upset by something or contemplating jumping or what....he was alone, there was no else on the viewpoint.....just my truck and his rental car

...so I walked over and stood near him about 4 feet. I looked at the mountains and glaciers but also side looked at the man. He was sitting on the rock wall, dabbing his eyes with a linen cloth. I approached him and quietly inquired "is everything OK Sir? I noticed you were crying a bit, may I help in any way?"

he gently put his hand on my shoulder and softly said "I am ok my friend. I am recently new here, a proud new Canadian. I am just overwhelmed with this (he gestured at the mountains and valleys in front of us), It is just too much to take in, It is very beautiful. I have never seen such big snow covered mountains. Please sit with me for a bit and tell me about this area.

I felt a burst of BC / Canada pride and sat there for about half an hour, talking about the area and showing him some other areas to visit.

we talked for a bit and then exchanged goodbyes and I drove home. I thought it was pretty amazing how our mountians and glaciers could move a grown man to tears.

Great Sunday. :cool:

BigJake, Dagwood, koolaidnd and 7 others like this.
  15. Packrat

Packrat Member

Like we say in the Northeast,Wicked Cool Bushman!Thanks for sharing your trip sir.

Bushman5 and Jeremiah Jones like this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

totally tubular :D

Zeek and Packrat like this.
  17. Packrat

Packrat Member

18. Packrat

Packrat Member

You are a good man and Canada is lucky to have you Bushman!

19. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

Finally caught back up. That Recondo Bowie is seriously calling my name

Bushman5 likes this.
  20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

well, much like i keep bugging @Strigidae to just DO IT! , im going to bug you too.......DOOOOO IIIIIT! :D

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Se7eN, Zeek, Strigidae and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.