ESEE pouch kits (Whats in yours?)

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by kyhunt, Apr 20, 2019.

1. kyhunt

kyhunt Member

I'm curious what you keep in your ESEE pouches. My son bought me a pouch for my ESEE6 last May for my birthday last year. Unfortunately after getting it things happened and woods time was almost non existent. Well I finally attached it this week to my 6 and looking for ideas of what to put in it. I tried to do a search but didn't come up with much. I have a few mini survival kits laying around in different packs but was just curious what is in yours.

If I'm rambling I apologize. I'm working on my first cup of coffee and don't usually let myself type until I've had a couple.

5col and Strigidae like this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Maybe look at shelter, fire/water and food as ideas? With that in mind id say cordage, fire starter, lighter, maybe iodine tabs, ER blanket and more. @5col may have a small kit with all that in it to save some money.

The Marsh Gorilla, 5col and kyhunt like this.
  3. kyhunt

kyhunt Member

Thanks I'll take a look.

5col likes this.
  4. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    The SOL, Survive Outside Longer, pocket survival pack is a good kit for the money.

The ESEE mini survival kit is a good kit as well.

5col, kyhunt and Strigidae like this.
  5. 5col

5col Moderator Staff Member

If it was my kit, I would cut a Hammaro Tinder Card to fit in the lid, and throw in a Spark-Lite. That takes care of easy all-weather fire starting. I would also put in some cordage; either Type 1A parachute cord or #12 braided bank line. A signal mirror and a whistle would also probably fit. Also a pocket fresnel lens and a DMT knife sharpener (the credit card sized ones). Maybe a Leatherman Squirt.

You know what I would really like to find? Some very heavy duty aluminum foil. Like what they make the foil baking pans out of, but flat.

Maybe after dinner I'll go out to the shop and see what I can cram into one of these tins/pouches. In the meantime, here's a pic showing the contents of ESEE's Mini Survival Kit. Those are still on sale on our site for just $25.99.

[​IMG]

6. 5col

5col Moderator Staff Member

So I fiddled around with this a little. There are a lot of different ways you can go, and you can fit a lot of useful gear into this little pouch. However, it's hard to fit much in the way of shelter or trauma first aid, so I don't know if you would consider this a true survival kit. The pouch is the VIP here.

Here's what I slapped together.

Outside the pouch, attached to the elastic band are an ESEE RAT Match and a 5col Rescue Whistle.
    IMG_2418.JPG

Immediately inside the pouch is the signal mirror with a short lanyard, so you can quickly bring this into play.
    IMG_2421.JPG

Also inside the pouch are a fresnel lens and a DMT Fine Grit diamond sharpener. The fresnel lens is a tertiary fire starter, included because it takes up no space and might save you some strikes on your Spark Lite or RAT Match. The DMT sharpener is a no brainer.
    IMG_2422.JPG

In the tin are:
    -25 ft. Type 1A Parachute Cord. This takes up more space in the tin than anything else. Less cordage or thinner cordage might serve you better.
    -Small, Medium, and Large Ranger Bands. These will hold stuff together, silence rattling gear, or can be used as tinder.
    -P-38 can opener, in case you find some ALPO on the trail.
    -Leatherman Squirt multi-tool. This gives you pliers, wire cutter, file, screwdrivers, scissors, and a secondary knife. The one shown here was pulled from an Air Force survival kit, but we have new ones available for sale in the shop.
    -Spark-Lite fire starter. This little guy throws sparks. I really like these. They're super lightweight, self-contained, and can be used one-handed. And made in the USA.
    -Hammaro Lighting Paper. I cut this to fit in the bottom of the tin. You simply tear a piece off, hit it with a spark, and away it goes.
    -Sailmaker's Sewing needles from Wm. Smith & Son. These are just helpful little guys to have, and they take up no space.
    IMG_2423.JPG

This kit ended up a little long on fire-starting. That's the sort of thing that usually takes up no space, so it's easy to include in a kit like this. A few years ago we did a contest on the Bushcraft site to see if people could make a complete shelter kit fit in an Altoids tin. It was an interesting challenge. The answer is that you can fit an utterly minimalist shelter in there if you really believe in yourself, but it's not ideal. Anyway, this is a fun thing to fiddle with on Sunday afternoon.

7. kyhunt

kyhunt Member

5col , thanks for the ideas. Sorry just getting back on. I didn't get on yesterday and took family fishing today. Your post gives a lot to think about.

The Marsh Gorilla and 5col like this.