The Gift of Giving a Knife

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JAD, Oct 6, 2016.

1. jdh

jdh Member

I gave one of my daughters an Izula II....the other daughter a Mora....I let them both pick. I have an Esee 3 in the package waiting for my God-son to get old enough.

2. JAD

JAD Member

@Stim -- You are so right my man. It is a good feeling to give somebody something that lights them up.

JMJ likes this.
  3. CWB

CWB Member

BTW JAD, you know where to meet me when you're ready to give me a knife. :rolleyes:

4. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

I've given away quite a few knives in my lifetime. For the most part, the ones that I give them to aren't really knife people, but I have converted a few to knife lovers!

JMJ likes this.
  5. Lobo

Lobo Member

IMG_0414.JPG IMG_7447.JPG A guy that I have become good friends with recently always carried a kobalt box cutter knife & after he did some work on my four wheeler & I paid him I also told him I had something else for him & gave him a nice folder. A few days later he was at the house & I asked him about it & he told me it was too pretty to carry or even use.
    I have given both my daughters a pink RAT2 folder with "Papa-Bear Rule #1" engraved on the blade and for our anniversary last month I got my wife a purple candiru with the same engraving. Next are my 2 boys & the engraving will be the same for all but haven't narrowed down their knives yet although I'm leaning towards the Cold Steel American Lawman for both of them..it's special to them especially my 8yr old daughter who puts hers with her "cherished" belongings.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    Emac, JAD and JMJ like this.
  6. JAD

JAD Member

@Lobo When you make it into one of yours kids "cherished belongings" categories, you have really made it. Because that is what it is all about.

JMJ, Lobo and Emac like this.
  7. borrowed time

borrowed time Member

I know most of you guys know these traditions, but just adding them here for newer knife people.

Knife giving/ownership superstitions

In some places it is traditionally believed that the giving of a knife as a gift to a friend will cut or sever the relationship. To avoid such ill luck, the receiver should give a coin in return so as to "pay" for the gift. It is common to include a penny, often taped to the blade, with a knife given as a gift which the receiver is to return as "payment".

In some cultures giving a knife as a gift is considered a sign of respect and trust. This is especially true in Finland where various non-governmental organizations, clubs and even government agencies traditionally give a puukko (a Finnish fixed-blade hunting/outdoor knife) as a gift to trusted employers or contacts. The puukko is always presented handle first as a sign of trust and friendly intentions.

In many places in the United States it is considered bad luck to hand an open, folding blade knife to someone. This is especially true in more rural areas where carrying a pocket knife is as common as carrying a set of keys. This may stem from safety issues. It is also believed that allowing someone to close a folding blade knife that you have opened is bad luck.

Some cultures believe that a knife does not belong to an individual until it has 'bit' them, or tasted their blood. Believers in such superstitions may intentionally prick a finger on the blade of a knife rather than risk a later, accidental cut. According to this superstition, the knife will stay sharp longer and is less likely to accidentally cut its owner once it has tasted his or her blood.

JMJ and Lobo like this.
  8. JAD

JAD Member

Good thing I'm not superstitious. :D

C99c likes this.
  9. JMJ

JMJ Member

image.jpeg
    Here's the laserstrike I was gifted by Emac, that he won in a GAW from Bushman5. I've batoned more crabapple wood for my bbq pit and smoker with this thing in the last 2.5yrs than I can remember. It definitely set off my esee addiction!

10. rab.ii

rab.ii Member

I've given a few. My son has received the most and his newest gift (earned with allowance money, truly) is a stainless izula with black g10 handles.
    I had a buddy and his wife comment on my knives a few times. The guy has enormous hands so I got him a Spyderco Endura and she wanted something to keep in her purse, so she got a purple dragonfly.
    My wife doesn't really care, but to stop her asking to use mine, I got her the 2016 Alox Edition Victorinox Orchid Cadet. She still asks for mine.

A few of my hunting buddies that carry crap knives were given Mora's.

11. JAD

JAD Member

Hunting guys like Mora's. I think it is the bang for the buck. They don't worry about dropping, losing, or leaving behind a custom that cost a week's salary. The best thing is that a Mora is a damn good knife for the cost of a crap.

Very clever little play on words if I must say so myself.

rab.ii likes this.