Recommend a Canister stove for me

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by koolaidnd, Oct 9, 2016.

1. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

We've had a few power outages lately and Winter is coming. My wife and I have been building a bug in box of the apartment. We're set on LED lanterns, lights, solar power, rechargeable AA's but we are missing a small cook stove.

I have a Coleman peak 1 stove in our truck. Accessing the truck during a power outage involves using the emergency release on the garage door. I can't reengage the garage door without the power on. This leaves the garage unsecured.

I need a cheap canister stove. It doesn't need to be super fast, light or efficient. Cheap is the thing I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Outlander likes this.
  2. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Usually the local big box has both single or double burner Coleman "green paint" stoves this time of year. Runs on those also cheap green propane blend bottles, will run around an hour of med heat cooking of both burners on the 1 I have. $30 for the 2 burner with a six pack of green fuel cells a few years back. Will also run on the BBQ cylinders (50lb?) if you bother to unscrew the hose and regulator from the grill.:)

3. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

Check pawn shops in the area. Good chance you can score a Coleman stove for a fraction of the price on new. My little brother has scored some steals via garage sales too -- 1960's stuff still brand new, in the box, with accessories. Craigslist is another good bet.

You can find a gizmo at Walmart to refill the small green propane bottles from a larger grill-sized propane cylinder.

I'm a fan of Coleman fuel over propane for my stove and lantern. Just a personal preference. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, or looked at BTU ratings. I do run the little isobutane cylinders with an MSR Pocket Rocket and a Snow Peak backpacking stove. For a small, highly portable, backpack in the truck deal, the MSR Pocket Rocket is a hard one to beat.

If you have a grill, have a spare propane cylinder for it. I always have 1 full, plus 1 on the grill.

I lost power for 4 days a few years ago during an ice storm, and it was pretty much like camping at my house.

4. ThreeRidges

ThreeRidges Member

5. Outlander

Outlander Member

Why can't you re-engage the garage door release?

Most just flip back and lock in.

6. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

It's an apartment garage with no service door. It won't close without power or you on be inside.

Outlander likes this.
  7. Outlander

Outlander Member

Ahhh...gotcha.

8. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

You can get a Primus Classic Trail Stove for Less than $20 at REI or on Amazon. I have had one for almost 20 yrs, it had been on hundreds of miles of backpacking trip and cook many a meal at base camp also. I has never let me down, even in the cold (need to keep canisters warm) but never had it fail.

9. JAD

JAD Member