Terava Jaakaripuukko From varusteleka

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Stayinsharp, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Switchblade

Switchblade Member

These blades are made in Finland by Lauri

I got a Garberg and a Skrama, as well... ;) Out of the three I have used the Garberg the most (since I own it for the longest). Also, I wrote a review on it.

Stayinsharp likes this.
  2. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

The Garberg IS worth the hype. Its very very good

Solitary likes this.
  3. Switchblade

Switchblade Member

It's good I agree, but personally I like the puukko as well.

Stayinsharp likes this.
  4. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

Absolutely. I don’t want my review to be construed as negative. I think that for the money the Puukko is an amazing deal and a killer choice for a woods companion. If it came down to a choice between this and a tops bob I’d pick the Puukko. This and an Esee 4, 5, or 6 I’d pick the Puukko. This and a Gerber strong arm... the Puukko. This and any Becker knife... I’d pick the Puukko. This and the Garberg.... I’d pick the Garberg.

Solitary and Switchblade like this.
  5. Pilot

Pilot Member

How would you compare the Garberg to the Kansbol, and the Bushcraft Black? Is it worth the significant price difference, especially over the Kansbol?

Also, as an all around woods knife would you go with the Terava 110mm, or 140mm? I am leaning towards the 140mm.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  6. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

I’ve had the kansbol and bounced it. The tip on it bent a little from abuse, not normal intended use. But still I wasn’t comfortable with taking that when I know I could take the garberg instead and not have any issues. The 14C28N performs much better than the 12c27. As for comparing it to the bushcraft black... I prefer the garbergs handle shape. The bushcraft Black is a great blade. But the handle shape becomes a little uncomfortable in certain grips. Again. I prefer the SS garberg. Moras carbon is amazing stuff. But I have plenty of high quality carbon bushcraft knives from LTWK (in O1) that I know are of the highest quality.... that said I always reach for my garberg now. Now that they’re around 70 new with the multi mount, yes. They’re worth the hype and extra money.

Now for your question of what size to go for.... I’d say try this....if you have a 4 inch blade. Go out on a day trip with it. Use it to attempt to craft, baton, and cut everything with that. (If you have it a mora HD companion or BC Black will suffice). If you find the length a bit short for the size of wood you want to baton then go for the 110. I have the 140. I love it. It’s a great alternate to an Esee 6 or similar sized knives. However. The 110 is not limited in the tasks it will perform for you. You just have to modify your method and technique. All in all- either one is a great choice. Highly, highly recommended. When I’m doubt, you could always get the 140 and the leather sheath now and then down the road get the 110 later without the sheath because it’s compatible with the one you’ll already have. They’re great.

Bruno_GO, theJman and Pilot like this.
  7. Pilot

Pilot Member

Thanks for the excellent response. I do have multiple 3 3/4 - 4 inch blades, so can do some testing. For the most part, I am sure they will do most of what I want. I used to have a RC-5 (before the were ESEE), and ended up selling it as I never really found a use for it. I should have gone with the 6, so now think the 140 may fill that niche as you say. My taste is certainly leaning more towards hard use, tool knives, and less for safe queens, so all of these represent good choices. Thanks for the feedback!

8. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

Absolutely, no prob. The 140 can absolutely fall into that niche. It was the biggest knife I owned or needed up until I just got my jungles 2. Still don’t even need that knife nor am I likely to carry it but a brother on the forum needed some financial help and offered it up for an amazing deal so I jumped on it to help him out.
    Here’s my typical knife/ cutting tool load out:
    The 140
    Mora garberg
    Swiss army hunter.
    Or
    Bacho
    Mora garberg
    Swiss army hunter.

In the winter I’ll also take a mora companion on a piece of para cord around my neck so I can keep it at an easy reach. It’s only 4
    Ounces more so it’s not like it’s weighing me down and I like the convenience it adds. But I still bring the garberg and bacho in my pack or on my hip

Hope this helps

Pilot likes this.
  9. Pilot

Pilot Member

That helps a lot, and confirms my thoughts also. I carry a SAK Bundeswher Trekker as well as a BRKT Gunny (or something similar), and now looking for something a bit bigger to add, so waffling a bit between what length to do, but the 140 or something like it would work well. One of my smaller Moras wouldn't hurt either. I'll be doing an extended trip in October, so need to do some weekend trial runs for that. Thanks!

10. theJman

theJman Member

Pretty much the same response from me.

Stayinsharp likes this.
  11. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

The garberg has definitively renewed my trust in the performance of high quality stainless steel. It has strengthened my trust in Mora as a company. And it has definitely change my mentality of what it means to have a bullet proof knife for woods use. It’s def not the best tactical knife- though it prob could be put in to use as such if absolutely needed. It’s certainly not a hunting knife- though I know it can perform great at many hunting tasks. It is a great woods knife... survival knife... maybe (depends on what you need it to do). But for what I’ve done with it, and my skill level in the woods, I’d feel confident I could use it to make fire, build shelter, and craft other important tools and weapons. I won’t put a label on practicing those in the woods but hey. I’m just a guy that likes his tools to be sharp. Really sharp.

Pilot likes this.
  12. JohnGer

JohnGer Member

Does anybody here have the Peltonen M95 Sissipuuko and could say something about comparing those two? I got the M95 and the shorter one and now thinking about getting the Jaakaripuuko too.

13. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

I’ve checked the M95 out online but have never used one. It seems pretty comparable. However, I’d say the Terava seems to be a bit cheaper cost wise, same steel and better sheath. I can’t speak to the difference in heat treats, or handle comfort. I know I love the teraca has a great handle for general use. Not the best for all day comfort. But that’s what you typically get in heavy use one size fits all type knives. They gotta be produced for the masses.

14. Bruno_GO

Bruno_GO Member

Very nice review. Thanks.

15. Pilot

Pilot Member

I have the M07 which is the shorter M95. Its about a five inch Blade and a little longer and thinner than the Jaakaripuuko 110 which I also have. It also has a Teflon coating. I like the 110 a little better for typical bushcraft tasks but both are nice knives. The sheaths are also excellent.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Strigidae likes this.
  16. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg The Varustelka knives are what I recommend to people who want an indestructible all around knife. When I got my 110 they only had 3 flavors, now they have the mini skrama and a really nice mini pukko.

image.jpeg

How about we do something horribly abusive? ;) say with iron hard seasoned oak?

image.jpeg

Straight up cross grain beating it thru. I've done things to this blade that would have ended other knives. It doesn't even flinch.

Pilot, JohnGer and Bruno_GO like this.
  17. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg

No chips, no rolling,.....no nothing really.

image.jpeg

And this is without any kind of retouch on the edge. For what you get price vs performance, these are definitely in the top 3 of factory made knives. At least IMHO anyway.

Pilot and JohnGer like this.
  18. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

They really are great... not “for the money”. They’re just great. I’d say to anyone hell bent on a carbon knife that isn’t above 130 go with the 110 or 140. For stainless go for the garberg.
    ... for a great combo for less that one of the semi-hand made production knives... get both

19. Bozho

Bozho Member

These knives are truly indestructible. I have had a 140 in carbon steel, but sold it due to its thick grind.
    I have had the old M95 , which was full flat grind, drop forged and zone tempered - amazingly strong knife, have abused it for years without issues.
    The new M95, as far as I know, are not drop forged or zone tempered, but have thinner grind than the old ones and are quite good slicers. They are very affordable here, for what they offer as steel and the sheaths really work well.

Pilot likes this.