Snake Bite Kit Recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by RocketmanDane, Apr 25, 2018.

1. BrianRowe

BrianRowe Member

2. BrianRowe

BrianRowe Member

Oh my... yes
    You suffer FAR more toxic species than we do here in the states. I believe Australia holds the record for the most venomous species on the planet. Along with your spiders:eek:
    Please keep them all down there:cool:

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I just mailed several to Jeff..... a couple of Eastern Browns and a few Funnel Webs....should make a fun unwrapping at his home..... :D

4. BrianRowe

BrianRowe Member

As much as I’m a snake guy (I’ve had a few rattlesnakes & moccasins to play with), the land down under arachnids send a shiver up my spine:(

5. Andy the Aussie

I literally get Sydney Funnel Web Spiders in my garage, Red Backs in the house and the odd White Tip as well. I am still alive ;) there has not been a fatal spider bite here now since 1979 when the antivenom was perfected.

6. Andy the Aussie

7. Hammer

Hammer Member

That reminds me of a similar experience I had in South America with an evac years ago. Flipped on the EPIRB........and.........waited........and finally after a while I almost started laughing at one point because the whole notion of getting a response, even within days, was just not gonna happen. We went to Plan B.

Later on, recounting that story (there was a lot more to it than the above), to a friend who had worked in the same area, he told me they had a similar experience with (insert name of S. American country here) Navy. They had tried to make an evac happen with a PLB and then gave up and spent several days hiking the person out to a village. About a week later he swung by the local naval office to talk to them about it, and the guy behind the desk said, "Oh yeah, I remember getting a call about that. But when we looked at where it was on the map, we figured it must have been a mistake. Nobody goes that far out there."
    :D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  8. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

9. jeeter

jeeter Member

Don't forget your handy Zippo to cauterize the wound.:D

Serious question (shocking that it's coming from me, I know) but I'd been taught years ago to apply a bandage or *loosely* apply a belt/tourniquet above the bite, and try to keep the bitten area lower than the heart. The purpose of the tourniquet/belt isn't to stop blood flow, but to slow the spread of venom. Thoughts on this?

10. JHansenAK47

JHansenAK47 Member

Tourniquets are the old way of treating a venomous bite. Studies have suggested that not using a tourniquet and allowing the venom to diffuse throughout the body dilutes the venom. A tourniquet causes the venom to have an enhanced localized effect. It has been strongly suggested that tourniquets are directly responsible for amputations of limbs that would have been unnecessary if no tourniquet was applied and the effect of the venom spread over a larger body mass.

I would look into the latest research as medicine is a constantly evolving field. I wouldn't be surprised if your loosely applied tourniquet is the latest compromise method between a proper tourniquet and none at all.

Just my 0.02$ I am not an expert.

11. Andy the Aussie

Some depends on the type of venom the local reptiles introduce into your system as well. You need some understanding of that.