The Bushman Chronicles!

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Bushman5, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

2. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Just plain good stuff, fun stuff. Ravens over people any day.

Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

March 10/2019, sunny, -5 deg C, "The Smatchet Knife Test, Crank Up The Irons, Explore A Trail, Find A Hidden River Canyon, Eat Smokies Tour"

Trip info/photos loading. :)

soundtrack that started todays epic adventure:

Running Wild - Ballad Of William Kid

followed by 1 hour & 18 minutes of the almighty IRON MAIDEN!

loaded up the L.R.R.P.R. Scout Rig , grabbed the new CS Smatchet, the metal mixed CD and cranked up the Irons while ripping up the Sea To Sky Hwy. Originally I planned to just putter around the logging cut blocks and wreak havoc with the CS Smatchet. Maybe grill some smokies in the Siege Stove.

Parked the rig, chatted with a couple of local truck campers (live in the logging blocks in their campers, work in town - can;t afford $2000 - 5000+ a month for RENT). Good folks, I always check up on them when up that way. They keep an eye on my truck while im in the area.

L.R.R.P.R. Scout Rig Lite - but whats missing???

IMG_4053.JPG

yea forgot the bear spray.....oh well, got a Smatchet and I'm not afraid to use it.

dropped into the overgrown spruce section of the logging blocks. Figured I was doing the forest a favor by removing the dry dead combustible materials.

IMG_4054.JPG

love that webbing!

IMG_4057.JPG

only had three blades with me...i must have a flu or something.... IMG_4056.JPG
    Its still cold up here, so I started slashing dozens of spruce trees at an angle...come warm months in spring, the sap will flow freely and I will harvest it. No this does not damage the trees. First Nations here gathered spruce pitch this way for hundreds of years

IMG_4068.JPG

old tracks not sure what animal
    IMG_4055.JPG

swung that CS Smatchet for a good hour, clearing dead branches. Used the sharp swedge to knock off the sharp branch stubs.

IMG_4067.JPG

quite by accident I found an old foot trail. Started following it down towards the river. Its steep.

IMG_4069.JPG IMG_4070.JPG

scraping cedar bark for tinder with the CS Smatchet IMG_4071.JPG
    what a freaking beast of a knife. Needs some stippling on the polypropylene handle though for some better grip. You really DO NOT WANT this slipping out of your mitts midswing and into your femoral artery.......

.......on that note....the machete (all types) is the worlds most deadly hand held weapon. Used globally, still to this day, to maim, torture and kill men, women and children globally. Your average machete costs less than $1 -2 in most places and can be sharpened deadly sharp, and used BY ANYONE, man , women & children....often its children wielding them against other children. The ankles are a favorite spot to strike as people flee violence - the tendons get sliced and the people fall unable to flee. Then they get left to die of blood loss, infection, left to live a life crawling on the ground, or killed outright by rebels. For a little history on machete use, research tribal and rebel violence in Rawanda. Esp in 1994. Its fascinating , yet horrifying.
    IMG_4073.JPG

steep descent IMG_4074.JPG

did i mention STEEP? :confused:o_O IMG_4075.JPG

the woodpeckers had a mega harvest in these tree! IMG_4076.JPG

got the bottom of the steep trail and found a beautiful cascading river. Blue and green waters, crystal clear, water/ice polished glacial bedrocks.....i knew the river was here.....but i had NO IDEA it was this spectacular. It was about to get 1000 times BETTER as I went further on. IMG_4077.JPG

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    jdh, The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and 8 others like this.
  4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

of particular concern for me, was the trail itself.....melting snow during the day time warm temps - refroze into ice......the trail was DEADLY. I went glacially slow down, and even on the flat sections......and for good reason.....a drop of between 20' to over 250' into the super narrow canyon rocks and DEEP river below.
    IMG_4078.JPG

just spectacular...in summer this would be a kick ass place to chill out in the hot humid heat.
    IMG_4079.JPG

about 40' tall (the waterfall). Come winter ice off / snow melt on the mountains and glaciers...this will be much more dangerous IMG_4080.JPG IMG_4081.JPG

perfect little shelter spot...needs a roof from the horizontal log back to the boulder.......I might just work on this IMG_4088.JPG

bedrock polished super slick and smooth by hundreds of years of water thundering thru here. What i found fascinating was the high water mark - almost 250' DEEP IMG_4089.JPG

found a couple of these clefts in the bedrock. Rope access needed. IMG_4090.JPG

tall trees and tons of salal brush behind me.

IMG_4091.JPG

look at that polished rock and deep emerald green pools. IMG_4093.JPG

and then a turquoise blue pool. Followed by the main pool in deep emerald green IMG_4095.JPG

another waterfall, about 35- 40' drop IMG_4098.JPG

that pile of logs was 100' above the 20' deep crystal clear pool below it. IMG_4100.JPG IMG_4101.JPG

chatted with a local who was taking photos nearby. He said that last pool is about 75' deep right now. High water mark (hundreds of years ago) is 200' above that. IMG_4103.JPG IMG_4104.JPG IMG_4105.JPG

look at that polished bedrock! IMG_4106.JPG

looking BACK UP the river. This would be a bad ass canyoneering trip....... @Jeff Randall and crew!!!! ;)

IMG_4107.JPG IMG_4114.JPG

as i carefully navigated the slippery trail above the canyon, I spotted signs of First Nations cedar bark gathering.....three trees all with this pattern of bark removal and axe marks in the base. This does not harm the trees. The pieces of red cedar bark they removed (about a year ago) were approx 20' long. This is sustainable harvesting. IMG_4121.JPG

jdh, The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and 9 others like this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

2nd cedar bark harvest

IMG_4124.JPG
    closeup
    IMG_4125.JPG
    old boulder field
    IMG_4126.JPG
    towering giants
    IMG_4127.JPG
    made my way back to the open river section, time for lunch and a brew up
    IMG_4129.JPG IMG_4132.JPG
    dead tree feeding the fungi
    IMG_4138.JPG IMG_4142.JPG IMG_4144.JPG
    emerald/turquoise pool
    IMG_4146.JPG

L.R.R.P.R. Scout rig lite IMG_4150.JPG
    magul DAKA pouch (fire kit) RMJ Tactical Utdishi knife and Hidden Woodsman pouch (holds my SIEGE STOVE). I love gear organization in my webbing and packs....at home, couldn't care less.... :D
    IMG_4151.JPG

super flat packing Gen 2 Titanium SIEGE STOVE IMG_4154.JPG IMG_4155.JPG

tons of dead dry alder branches around to fuel the fire. IMG_4156.JPG IMG_4158.JPG IMG_4159.JPG
    caveman era axe :D
    IMG_4161.JPG

got the SAS MKettle filled with water, methyl hydrate in the burner bowl IMG_4163.JPG

Exotac TitanLIGHT firing it up IMG_4164.JPG

jdh, The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and 2 others like this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Dark roast coffee crystals

IMG_4167.JPG
    MSR Titan kettle
    IMG_4178.JPG
    2 minutes to boiling water and hot coffee.
    IMG_4194.JPG
    forgot my ss skewers, so i adapted from the repair kit......big cotter pins opened up and flattened.
    IMG_4198.JPG IMG_4199.JPG

all beef smokies over alder coals IMG_4200.JPG IMG_4203.JPG

the perfect kitchen rock, lots of shelves and space. IMG_4204.JPG
    oooh look at those....
    IMG_4206.JPG

IMG_4213.JPG

IMG_4211.JPG

Esee/RMJ Tactical/ Exotac gear bling IMG_4217.JPG IMG_4219.JPG

ate lunch, drank hot strong coffee , packed up and hiked back out. IMG_4220.JPG
    treat for the field mouse skittering around the rocks
    IMG_4222.JPG

jdh, The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and 6 others like this.
  7. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

So cool

Bushman5 likes this.
  8. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

The scenery is just spectacular, I would love to get close to the pools. Water like that is a siren song to me. :)

The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  9. Switchblade

Switchblade Member

You have found a great area for yourself.

The Marsh Gorilla and Bushman5 like this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

pic sup

Zeek likes this.
  11. kihnspiracy

kihnspiracy Member

Great pics.

Bushman5 likes this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

13. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Love the siege stove!

14. Packrat

Packrat Member

When you're stuck at work and miss the woods...the Bushman provides:D

15. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Bushman5 likes this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Cotter pins :D

17. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Gotcha

18. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Absolutely time for a Bushman5 youtube channel.

19. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

No bear spray? Cool pictures. Good job Bushy!

The Marsh Gorilla and Bushman5 like this.
  20. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

March 17, 2019, Sunny, warm, "The Kebab Cookout, Putter About The Woods Tour"

The day started with a clogged crapper (due to someone above me in the building flushing sanitary products......it clogged her sewer line and my sewer line. $100 later for a RIGID drain auger and the clot was removed. I also lost two hours of woods time as a result.

The day got better...another three hours wasted trying to get out of Vancouver and over the 2nd Narrows Bridge. Some douche just had to look at their cell phone and texting and rammed a car in front of them, causing a chain reaction of vehicles crashing everywhere. Bridge blocked Northbound.

3 F******* hours lost as a result. Thanks you ******* a-holes.

So instead of getting into the woods on my day off early, I was over 5 hours behind schedule. Thoughts of violently and physically inserting cell phones into peoples orifices were abundant......

Finally got past the accident scene. I was one of about several thousand vehicles who leaned on the horn and flipped the crash people the bird.

Wound out the engine, dropped a gear and made up some time. Did not get into the woods until bloody almost 1500 hours.

Found this truck on the Mamquam FSR,its been there awhile,tires are low, truck bed and trailer are filled with snow. Too fast around the corner and BOOM into the ditch.....see you in spring to pull it out....

IMG_4366.JPG

proper BC campfire,........40' wide..... ;) IMG_4368.JPG

got right to work at chopping up mesquite chunks for the Siege Stove, using the Tops Operator. Brutal knife......8mm thick, wicked recurved edge, takes a beating and comes back for more. IMG_4370.JPG

Exotac TitanLight and some waxed jute , about to light the wood in the siege stove. IMG_4372.JPG

the end of the road on the cutblock, this a favorite place to come and have a fire, throw axes, chop with the knves, or just drink a coffee and chill. IMG_4373.JPG

implements of destruction and fire IMG_4374.JPG

Winkler Operator making the meat sticks sharp. IMG_4375.JPG
    20 hour marinated meat.
    IMG_4376.JPG

all meat kebab, ready for fire/heat/smoke...... IMG_4377.JPG

mesquite burning down...... IMG_4379.JPG

I brought some food that food eats. IMG_4381.JPG IMG_4382.JPG

OH YEAH! IMG_4383.JPG

And God Said Let There Be Grilled Meat, And There Was Grilled Meat, And It Was Great IMG_4384.JPG

looking down at the locals camper. IMG_4385.JPG

moon rising already. IMG_4387.JPG

packed up and headed out, stopped at the next cutblock and parked the truck. Headed up the cutblock, just to wander. IMG_4389.JPG

big ol bear paw IMG_4390.JPG

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.