The DA/SA Thread

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Hammer, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Hammer

Hammer Member

Buffed out the feed ramp on the SP-01:

[​IMG]

Ditched the stock #17lb recoil spring and polymer guide rod for a #13lb spring and a stainless steel rod:

[​IMG]

And added a Night Fision Tritium sight to the front of the P-07:

[​IMG]

2. Hammer

Hammer Member

Got out to the range yesterday to try out the new LOK grips. They feel great and the additional grippiness is perfect for my tastes - plenty aggressive enough, but not overly so.

With the cold temps lately and a fairly demanding training class coming up next week, I've been really trying to focus on structured drills, isolating and working on specific skills. High quality, low quantity.

Today's session started with some DA-only 5x5s and then DA > SA 5x5s.

Then I went into a drill that I've adapted from several others out there - I call it the "2-3-4 Drill:"

• Start with three targets at three different distances - I usually put one at about 4 yards, one at 7 yards and one at 10 (ish)

• Load three magazines; one with 2 rounds, one with 3 and one with 4.

• Mix them up so you don't know which is which, load one in the pistol and the other two in your mag pouch.

• Using a shot timer, fire three shots into each target starting with the closest and working your way out. Because my range allows it, I start the draw from the holster, but you can also start at low ready.

A good run 15 sec. or less with all shots inside the defined targets. Since you don't know when you're going to run dry, this is a great way to work on efficient and fluid reloads and it guarantees two reloads per 9 rounds. Also good for working on target transitions to different distances.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Zeek, OKcherokee and Strigidae like this.
  3. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

DA/SA decock and safety.
    Not high end but good value years ago.
    BT 380 and 380cc.
    The BT was my first semiauto 15 years ago. Very accurate never a malfunction. I still keep it in one of my go bags.
    The CC I picked up in an estate sale. LNIB.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bluelew and Hammer like this.
  4. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

image.jpeg

Zeek and Hammer like this.
  5. olywa

olywa Member

Bersas run. I had the .22 version for a while as well as a Thunder 9. Never had a problem with either.

Dennis Adams likes this.
  6. Hammer

Hammer Member

A good overview of the P229 Legion. I continue to be in awe of mine and it has run flawlessly. There's just something about this pistol that feels like no other I've owned or shot.

Outlander and Zeek like this.
  7. Hammer

Hammer Member

Seeklander, dropping some TDA science:

8. Blake G

Blake G Member

The only DA/SA auto I currently own is a very nice Manurhin Walther PP - although the new Wilson Vertec/Centurion has me thinking I need a service sized DA/SA (though I'd actually prefer it in DAO)...

Hammer likes this.
  9. Hammer

Hammer Member

Let's see a pic!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Zeek likes this.
  10. Hammer

Hammer Member

Came across this little beauty for a ridiculously low price. P225-A1 Talo Edition. Sig tritium night sights, SRT trigger, special G-10 grips and 3 mags.

While on paper the P225-A1 doesn't seem much smaller than a P229, it is definitely lighter and thinner in the hand, and noticeably s0 inside the waistband. Some single stacks I find to be too small and thin (esp the grip). This one is just right.

[​IMG]

But most importantly, I have to rave about the trigger. 8-1/4 lbs in DA. and 4-1/4 lbs in SA. Pretty much perfect imo, and by far the best out-of-the-box DA/SA trigger I've ever felt, period. It's a far cry from a stoutly-sprung P226. Beyond just the trigger weight though, it is also incredibly smooth in DA - there is absolutely no grit, creep or stack whatsoever. Just a light, clean and consistent pull all the way through. SA mode is perfectly crisp.

11. Hammer

Hammer Member

P-07 tear down:
    • Used a Dremel and some Flitz to polish the trigger bar, hammer base, disconnector, hammer pivot pin, sear pin, sear, lifting block, DA roller and decocker cam shaft to a mirror finish on all the contact points.
    • Decreased the tension on the trigger bar return spring.

[​IMG]

12. olywa

olywa Member

You keep posting about that P-07 and I'm just gonna have to buy one. Wish they'd come out with a skinny one...

The Marsh Gorilla and Hammer like this.
  13. Hammer

Hammer Member

More P-07 work today. Not because this pistol needs it, I'm just on a quest to dial in the trigger action pull and smoothness to my liking, and I'm kinda picky. And, the P-07 is so easy to work on that I'm having fun pulling it all apart and getting to know the inner workings.

So today, I'm putting in a slightly lighter hammer spring (#15), a reduced power firing pin spring and a reduced power trigger return spring (all from Cajun Gun Works). Also going to pull the trigger bar out again and polish it on a super fine stone before buffing it again with the Dremel. Curious to see what all this does for the feel and also poundage reduction, esp. in DA mode...

[​IMG]

14. Hammer

Hammer Member

Huge difference after doing the above. DA is at about 8-1/2lbs now and SA is a consistent 3lbs. But more importantly, the trigger travel is much smoother and a little more crisp. It really feels like a significantly upgraded gun, and all I spent was $35 in parts and a few hours time.

The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  15. HelRaiser

HelRaiser Member

The first gun I bought with my own money was a Beretta 92FS. Loved the aesthetics, and history, but had to sell it because it just didn't work for me. A DA/SA platform is my ideal pistol. Unfortunately, I have short fingers, so the far forward trigger on DA guns just kills my grip. I can still drool though, oh boy can I drool...

16. Hammer

Hammer Member

Have you tried any of the newer breed of DA/SAs with interchangeable backstraps? I wonder if that, and/or a trigger that has adjustable pre-set, could help solve that issue for you.

The Marsh Gorilla and HelRaiser like this.
  17. Zeek

Zeek Member

Where did you get the new spring and guide rod from? Do you recommend it?

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  18. HelRaiser

HelRaiser Member

I've fondled a few in gunshops, but I haven't got the pleasure to fire any. I'm shopping around for a carry pistol, so the idea is to go put down some money at a range and rent A LOT.

There's this line between "Is it a problem because a lack of training?" and not wanting to buy something that I have an inherent mechanical problem in operating. Realistically I just have to try a lot, and shoot a lot, and see what sticks on the wall.

19. Hammer

Hammer Member

I got them from Cajun Gun Works, which is where I got all the aftermarket parts for the P-07 as well.

It was a noticeable change. It was sprung heavy from the factory and the slide racks a lot easier now. But it hasn't been as noticeable of an improvement as replacing the hammer spring and firing pin spring on the SP-01, which just like with the P-07, made a big difference in trigger feel. The DA pull on the SP-01 is now 8lbs and smoove.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  20. Zeek

Zeek Member

O.K. thanks. I may change out the springs on my SP-01 then.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.