Ak and Com Bloc Weapons Pic Thread

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by HoneyBadger47, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I have shot both the Galil and Valmet 78 in 7.62, to be frank the round is too much for the design in my view, both were pigs of things to use (lovely rifles etc- but a pig), the 78 was nicer but it also has the longer barrel and bipod (both were factory FA). I am really no fan of the "Automatic Rifle" Concept in 7.62 (FALO, L2/C2, Valmet 78 etc), it was a fleeting idea that most troops disliked and the weapons were quickly relegated away from combat arms, the L4 Bren does a much better job but at the cost of weight. I also think the G3 is a bit of a pig but prefer it (to shoot) over either the Galil or Valmet, especially with the go switch set to go go go. A friend of mine in FL has a G3K (Flemming conversion I think) that is lots of fun, it is like a carnival ride, put it to your shoulder and try to hang on :D :D He also has a factory select fire FAL that is nice to use. I obviously have lots of time behind the butt of Commonwealth pattern "FALs" ;) The L1A1 with an L2 change lever and plunger is lots of fun and, to me at least, much more controllable than the other contemporary 7.62 rifles. They are also easier to repair than most others.

As you would also guess I am quite familiar with the AUG pattern rifles. I find them interesting but generally unappealing. The F88 was the locally built version here, once the teething problems with production were sorted out (lets not talk about the several thousand we scrapped as they were just rubbish) they are reliable enough...unless you are involved in amphibious work then they suck a pole, at one point there was also a directive that precluded troops discharging more than 90 or 100 rounds on rappid (this was in the early 90s) after one or more overheated and self destructed in use. There was a reason all the SF types here were issued M4s and now the H&K 416 ;) The F88 (AS1 and later versions) are now being replaced by the F90 here, an ADI redesign of the AUG. Early signs are good but it still suffers the issues inherent with bullpup designs. Notably it did away with the removable barrel, one of the best moves IMHO. I have not heard if they will function well after a drowning.

In reality none of these firearms are "bad" they will do the job required, the ease and reliability of how they do it differs person to person.

Kaw-liga and Trailmaster like this.
  2. Andy the Aussie

..... Paras are cool looking and fun to play with but are really abortions of things ;) A much better version is what was sold in the US as "Bush Rifles" a shorter barrel (18inches) but with the standard FAL butt and return mechanism (the return springs are in a tube in the butt as opposed to riding about the carrier on a guide rod fixed to the body cover).

shaneadams90 likes this.
  3. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

The DSA was a really well done firearm...fit, finish, and function were good but like I said I could never warm up to it. The DSA guns generally have a pretty good track record but I'm much happier with a Chinese or Russian AK...

f42.jpg

Kaw-liga and Trailmaster like this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Depends who you talk to about DSA...in the FAL world there are very mixed views, particularly about their in-house parts. Certainly DSA has worked hard (with mixed success) to keep the FAL design (platforms are for standing on ;) ) relevant. Factory Imbel, FN, Argie FSL, and the very few fully Aussie made Inch Pattern rifles in the US are probably best of the breed. Select parts built on a quality receiver (older DSA, older Entreprise, Imbel or Argie) are the next best thing. Quality FAL kits are much harder to come by now as I understand it.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  5. HoneyBadger47

HoneyBadger47 Member

I can not remember what DSA called it but they made an 18" barreled, fix stock FAL pattern rifle with the stripper clip receiver cover. I really liked that rifle but it seems DSA has discontinued it. I wanna say I was the Congo series but I honestly can't remember. Most of the local shops around me carry the "voyager" series which I am not going to even consider. Take a great rifle and replace milled parts with cheaper cast. No thanks.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  6. HoneyBadger47

HoneyBadger47 Member

I will agree that the 7.62 rifles should never have been automatic rifles. I think that's another idea from the Cold War era that someone thought was good on paper but no practical use. Kind of like the idea that the m14 would requiring retooling..... The Fins and the Israelis did a great job with their rifles. I would not call a Valmet or a Galil or even a South African R5 a "perfect" AK though... but I do love Arnolds Valmet in Commando. Anyone know where tog et one of those unlimited magazines?

I think the AUG pattern rifle has come a long way, I still wouldn't choose one if given options but its probably the one bull pup I would be ok settling with. I have shot a Tavor and it was ok, but again not a bull pup fan, unless its a bolt action.

Im will say I'm not a fan of the new IMI Galils. I like the thought process of multiple caliber offerings but I hate the plastic. Especially compared to the new Kalashnikov rifles (AK12, AK15, RPK16, etc.) which look like a better way to important western style stocks and such. AR pattern rifles that are chambering in 7.62x39 or accept AK pattern mags are a good idea, but I don't think anyone has gotten it down just right. I seen lots of feed issues and too many work arounds to make me want to invest more interest into the idea.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  7. HoneyBadger47

HoneyBadger47 Member

May have spoke too soon about the Galil Ace. Little google and youtube safari and I came across the 7.62x39 without the plastic lower. Common mod from what I read. Seems lots of guys just do a hack saw mod to the lower or replace the grip and release tower. I also saw some for sale around $1000 which is not bad compared to the $1800 the local shops in may area are asking. Also heard IWI offers first responder discounts. Waiting to hear back from that, may be a new rifle in my future.... IMG_0782.JPG
    Hack saw mid: plastic lower is cut near the half moon cut out.

IMG_0781.JPG
    Complete swap: release tower and pistol grip swapped.

Both mods look super clean to the plastic that IWI uses. Unfortunately this is only applicable for the 7.62x39 models. Both also have the RS Regulate hand guard, which to me is a must.

Kaw-liga and Strigidae like this.
  8. HoneyBadger47

HoneyBadger47 Member

What are your thoughts on SAM7 vs SLR? the more I look into it, the less I want the ACE and the more I want a truer AK.

9. JHansenAK47

JHansenAK47 Member

The SAM7 is a milled receiver, but the newer rifles don't have the thicker barrel profile of the older milled rifles. The AK is not free floated and is susceptible to forend pressure and heating of the barrel. A heavier barrel is less sensitive. However the individual barrels are not precisely made target barrels. On the better shooting heavier barrel variants they are less sensitive and don't open up as much in grouping. Long story short they shoot pretty much the same and I would recommend the lighter stamped rifle.

Hope this helps even if it is a month later.

10. HoneyBadger47

HoneyBadger47 Member

I splurged and ordered an rd ak. I like their products and their customer service was amazing.

DYSPHORIC JOY likes this.
  11. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Rifle Dynamics are the creme of the crop....AKs built by AK Gurus and good folks too....!! Post some pics when you get it in!

12. HoneyBadger47

HoneyBadger47 Member

0C5484B8-240B-45EC-BF41-ED6E0291C8C9.png 4770E8D6-108D-481B-B1F9-8A9675A3BB55.png Well the rifle dynamics is 60-90 days out. But here is the images I can up with using Gunstruction. I was gong to do burnt bronze with black furniture but I have a serious love affair with plum and Bakelite. I also have a cz83 I will be picking up end of the month .

13. Sam

Sam Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]Posted here before ,Czech VZ58 in 5.56 with an AR mag adapter

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  14. JHansenAK47

JHansenAK47 Member

Do they have an adjustable plug on that 5.56 vz58? Do you know the twist?

15. Sam

Sam Member

Rate of twist is 1/7. By adjustable plug do you mean gas tube?

16. HoneyBadger47

HoneyBadger47 Member

I’m guessing he means the adjustable gas block. My rd is gonna have the kns piston, my vepr desperately needs it. Chucks brass six counties over. Any akm patter will definitely benefit having either an adjustable block or piston.

17. Sam

Sam Member

No it has no adjustable gas block.

18. HoneyBadger47

HoneyBadger47 Member

Picked this little guy up the other day.

Attached Files:

Strigidae and Kaw-liga like this.
  19. Dbltap45acp

Dbltap45acp Member

20. HoneyBadger47

HoneyBadger47 Member

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.