Daypack/ Backpack for ESEE/ RAT class??

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by RocketmanDane, Jan 15, 2019.

1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Signed up for the Advanced bushcraft class this fall and was looking over the requirements and notice I was lacking one important item. Daypack! Most of my bags are on the small side or much to large for a class setting. (For example a gasmask bag and large rucksacks)

SO I was curious what backpacks: Daypacks others have taken to previous ESEE/ RAT classes?

Or if you have not been what Backpack/ Daypack do you plan on taking?

mtngoat and HelRaiser like this.
  2. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Tarahumara

3. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

For the actual class, I used a Maxped Falcon, I think a HPG Tara would also work great. All my camping gear I carried in a tote, you can pull up to the camping area and unload your vehicle. All you need in you day pack is the toys you plan to play with and water and coffee cup. Bum camp has been moved closer to the camping area so you may not even need it. It is probably the same setup I will run this year except I will have my chest bag.

4. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

I've never been to a RAT class (I really hope to change that at some point), but I can wholeheartedly recommend the Tarahumara and Umlindi as daypacks.

I tend to prefer the Umlindi due to the compressability allowing it to get down to the same size as a Tara if desired, while also having a fair amount of cargo capacity available for things like a spare layer, etc.

Both are phenomenal packs.

HelRaiser and RocketmanDane like this.
  5. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Id go with the Dora Pack
    s-l300.jpg

Bushcraft_Dave, BigJake, IW17 and 6 others like this.
  6. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

The most important part of bushcraft class is to tell @Jeff Randall stories about being bitten by poisonous snakes in your house while you’re asleep on the floor.

7. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Brings back memories....that kid is a knife makers apprentice in Portland now...I ran into him at Blade West...

Back pack:

2-2500 CI should be easily enough.....I travel heavy bc I carry camera gear and extra knives....

the Tarahumara is roughly 800 ci but if you add water bottles it eats into the interior space...I find it a little small but a great pack...an Umlindi is awesome....I heard someone else mention the MaxPed Falcon....another good option.

Water, snacks, misc gear and clothing is what you will want....

8. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

You dont have to fill up your large rucksack. It will work too. Then you will have space to bring your cool bushcraft items back to camp. But buy an umlindi anyway.

9. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Buy an Umlindi and a Tara!

shaneadams90, mtngoat and Strigidae like this.
  10. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@mtngoat
    Nope Nope Nope!! Me no likey snakes :(
    I was also going to have my chest pack so I am thinking that might help considerably also
    @Reno Lewis
    I’ve been looking both of the HPG packs and am going to give them serious consideration. I honestly don’t thing one or the other would fit my need/ likes but if I can swing both I think they would be a great combo!

@Strigidae
    Noted on the Umlinidi!

@shaneadams90
    Noted! I had to check a couple of websites for size reference but I get what your saying. I’m going to seriosly look at combinging the 2 HPG bags of the $$ is right.

A couple of bags that have been jumping out at me are the smaller sized Mystery ranch packs. I only have experience with their 3DAP, so I don’t know how they could compare.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I obviously have some time but ideally I could make a decision and get some field time with it to figure out a plan. (Field time is some times hard for me to come by so being ready when I have a opportunity is super important! )

HelRaiser and mtngoat like this.
  11. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

@RocketmanDane Jeff really likes the Mystery Ranch bags and that 3DAP system is cool. Jeff has several of their packs and being a pack nerd, I've looked them over pretty well...nice stuff..

Their imported bags are quite a big cheaper and the quality is very good....Kifaru has some great stuff as well but it's pricey...but made in the USA and very good customer service....

All in all my favorite purchase of 2018 was my Umlindi and I really tried to test it's extended range...with their Praire belt I could just keep stacking stuff on it...

12. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

@RocketmanDane

When I did Ditch Medicine i used my Kelty redwing 50 and it was more than enough pack for that and would work well for Bushcraft, if you wanted a budget friendly pack.

shaneadams90 and RocketmanDane like this.
  13. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

The reason I'm such a Mystery Ranch fan is the tri-zip design they have patented. Makes it really quick to open the bag completely up. I've got 4 or 5 of their bags and they all are loaded for dedicated use, such as SAR, Caving, general hiking, canyoneering, etc. I've put them through some pretty harsh environments and they just keep on performing, both the US and overseas manufactured bags. My favorite is the Coulee 25.

23.jpg

14. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Jeff Randall I do like the tri zip feature. I had the MR 3dap for a while and like the setup but I personally had a hard time keeping things where I wanted them to sit in the bag. I have been comparing locally avalible bags for size reference and the 25- 40 liter range it where I am looking to go.
    I have a preference towards brighter colors so that I can be seen and find things easier if I set them down. While color is should not be a highly important factor it def highly considered...

I was looking at either the Ridge Ruck 25 (avalible in bright blue) would likely be 3rd ranked

https://www.mysteryranch.com/ridge-ruck-25-pack

The Scree (32)
    https://www.mysteryranch.com/scree-pack (not avalible in bright colors...) But I am leaning a little more towards this.

Or the Coulee 25 like you mentioned (avalible in bright blue and bright orange) Probbably would be my 2nd MR choice at the moment.
    https://www.mysteryranch.com/coulee-25-pack

@shaneadams90 I really like the looks of the HPG bags I’m just looking at the rabbit hole that it might take me down... starting with the 2bags then adding a waist belt and possibly some additional pouches I see it getting $$$ in a hurry...

I have experience with Blackhawk, TSSI, Spec Ops and LBT brands but all the ones I have are seriously built and far more of a pack then I believe I would need for a class...

mtngoat, HelRaiser and shaneadams90 like this.
  15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Direct Action Ghost.

small enough to be ultralight, organized enough to carry a ton of gear. Bombproof sewing and materials. Lifetime warranty. Multiple colors available. EXTREMELY modular (large removable pouch with included shoulder sling, removable low profile molle belt with included shoulder yoke etc)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    RocketmanDane and mtngoat like this.
  16. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I've also got the Scree. It's my regular hiking pack.

17. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

Here is my Mystery Ranch Scree.
    I like it a lot, very comfortable too.

[​IMG]

18. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    RocketmanDane likes this.
  19. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy Member

Is a kit bag enough for the bushcrafter class or maybe add a maxpedition pigmy faclon?

20. ThreeRidges

ThreeRidges Member

Rei outlet has some good deals on Mystery Ranch day packs right now