Let's discuss Bug Out Bags

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by CWB, Dec 31, 2018.

1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

What I have been thinking about recently is what type of BOB or kit I can store at work? I have noticed time and again when you see on the news or hear about situations that may not be life threatening but HIGHLY inconvient is the lack of preparedness. For example major power outages in big cities, Breakdown of public transit systems or even the occasional 2nd hand emergency you might be around. You may not be directly involved in a major incident but when one does occur even those in the surrounding areas tend to be effected.
    The problem I have seen with office BOB is they tend to be forgotten at home or become unavailable say in a vehicle. What I have been thinking about is working on a low visibility discrete kit to be left at work.

2. Black5

Black5 Member

What I was told on another forum is that in the last 3/4 of a century nobody has ever needed a survival kit in a grocery store or at work.

Anyway, even at work I keep a minimal kit in my laptop bag, which stays in my office while on the unit.

It's enough to get me back to my camper possibly, but if I need to get home without going to the camper (which, after the job change, is 17 miles the opposite direction) I'm not in near the good situation I would prefer to be in.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  3. Black5

Black5 Member

I'm in the process of installing a heavy duty locking box in my Jeep that will hold a bag and sundry items.

Especially with some predictions I've seen for this year, both natural and man-made. I want to be better prepared at a moment's notice for whatever may get thrown my way. We haven't had our big snow and ice storm yet, and I've already seen traffic stopped for hours due to collisions and high volume combined.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  4. C99c

C99c Member

If by survival kit you mean a rifle and ammo, etc then ok. If you mean a change of clothes, comfortable shoes, some food, water, med gear and season appropriate layers then no. That stuff gets used by folks every year. Probably every month by someone somewhere.

That and an extra flashlight/headlamp/batteries and a multi tool is what is in my bag that stays at work. Along with a few other odds and ends.

5. C99c

C99c Member

See my post above for what I keep at work. Just sit down and take a serious look at where you live and what could happen. Basics are basics (clothes, meds, food, water or a filter, etc). Add from there as needed or allowed the same as a vehicle kit(not everyone can legally have guns at work).

Throw it in a nondescript backpack or gym bag. Leave it as work all the time.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Delkancott and RocketmanDane like this.
  6. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Will be following this thread as I need to build a small kit for my wife’s car and my truck.

Zeek likes this.
  7. BushcraftKilburn

BushcraftKilburn Member

Well, there is a distinction between a BOB and an INCH bag. Usually, a BOB is a 'get home' bag or 'temporarily away' bag. INCH is the 'im never coming home' bag.

Honestly, I see no difference between the two and while getting home is a great objective it may not always be a possibility. So I have set up my own BOB with that potential mindset of never getting home (or even losing the home). My kit will be different than most because I do live in a populated area and would not be hard pressed to find some makeshift items (like a messkit or water bottle)

BOB Essentials:
    -Knife (I carry several. Larger for batoning which is currently the PR4, medium for general woodwork or camp tasks which is currently a custom Pukko, and a small for skinning or fine woodwork which is currently the CR2.5. I also have an edc pocket knife just in case)
    -Multitool (not JUST a swiss army knife but something with pliers)
    -Bag itself
    -Fire kit (attached to knife but also a backup)
    -Small saw and/or hatchet
    -Shemagh (wool or cotton)
    -Blanket (wool. I use a 90/10)
    -Poncho (I like the Lavuu half because it can also be used as a shelter)
    -Tarp (not always possible in a small bag and I use it interchangeably with a lavuu poncho)
    -Med kit (small, only aspirin, band aids, etc. No suture kit)
    -Backup pouch (carries small medical supplies, wire saw, mini fire kit, etc)
    -Headlamp
    -Collapsible stove
    -Water treatment tablets
    -Extra wool socks
    -Water container
    -Gloves
    -Hat
    -Compass

BOB Options (depending on skill):
    -Lightweight range finder
    -Ammunition and firearms
    -Cordage
    -Lightweight tent or large tarp
    -Axe
    -3 days food
    -messkit
    -Extra clothes (1 pant, 2 shirt, 2 socks, 2 undergarments, jacket)
    -Water bladder
    -Drip water filter
    -Paper maps
    -Extensive medical kit
    -Packable saw
    -Bivvy bag

8. HelRaiser

HelRaiser Member

Obligatory "This is just like my opinion, man"

A BOB would really be more clear if it was called a "Get Off The X" bag. That ship has kinda sailed though, huh?

A BOB is to get you off the X, and ideally to a predetermined rally point. The contents of a BOB are best determined by two questions - How big is the X, and what is it?

If the X is that your car was stolen and you're stranded at your work, then your BOB might consist of a bag of candy and a 16oz bottle of water. Y'know, rations to hold you over until help (a ride) can get there to "rescue" you.

If an X is painted across your entire city because a hurricane came and it's doing its best Atlantis impression, then you need gear to get out of that situation, and to where it's safer.

You know your area, the dangers of your area, and what gear you'd personally need to get off your own special X better than anyone on the Internet.

If a BOB would be more aptly called a "Get Off The X" bag, then an INCH bag would be more aptly called a "Wander Aimlessly" bag. The key difference is that with an INCH bag you don't really have a destination. It's a bag meant to have everything you might need to survive indefinitely without outside aid. Also known as "The Human Pack Mule Starter Kit." I personally don't believe that the ideal INCH bag people talk about is actually possible. Coming from a person who chased that rabbit for way too long.

9. IW17

IW17 Member

Well put. I confer.

10. Black5

Black5 Member

Yup. That's probably one of the best explanations/descriptions I've ever heard.

Reno Lewis and The Marsh Gorilla like this.