Pocket Poncho Options ?

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by RocketmanDane, Nov 28, 2018.

1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I am looking for a pocket sized poncho to add to my non waterproof jackets. The purpose would be to place over a non waterproof or only water resistant jacket incase of unplanned rain.

Looking for 2 diffrent colors. One would be a neutral or clear color if wanting to be low key. One would be a “survival” color ie reflective, orange or other highly visible options.

Thoughts?
    Ideas?
    Experience?
    Recommendations?

Zeek and JohnGer like this.
  2. JohnGer

JohnGer Member

For this purpose I use this one:

https://www.helsport.no/fjellduk-pro?___store=english

It has one side in camo, the other one is silver / reflective, which would also work for signaling and also it includes a little signaling flag. It has a compression bag and can fit in cargo Pockets etc. Its a cool thing and allows many functions. Have it since 5 years, still great.

RocketmanDane and Zeek like this.
  3. JV3

JV3 Member

only thing i can think of and have experience with is the survive outdoors longer ("sol") brand poncho that's made of the same heat reflective material. anything more durable than that will be too bulky unless you don't mind basically having a softball-sized object in your jacket's pocket.

i have several heavy duty ponchos (o.p.s.e.c, mil-surp, campmor, etc) and i rarely use them as designed but rather as tarps instead...or when i do it's to go from one tarp to the other or while next to the camp fire to protect my puffy jacket from flying embers.

also ponchos just downright suck in any kind of physical activity (unless it's near freezing and raining) due to lack of venting (most quality rain jackets will have armpit zippers to vent heat)...you'll be drenched in sweat in no time.

better to buy a small quality umbrella in non-winter use.

RocketmanDane and Zeek like this.
  4. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Here's one i spotted on Amazon they are calling it "Lightweight Rain Gear Poncho Emergency Survival Cover Shelter Norwegian Military Surplus"
    @JohnGer I am trying to track one down for details but haven't found a US retailer..
    @JV3 I will have to see if i can find one. I agree that ponchos suck but this is more of a JIK type cover..

[​IMG]

JohnGer likes this.
  5. JohnGer

JohnGer Member

If you don't finde a retailer, then maybe look for the Jerven Fjellduken - it´s the same product (I don't know which one was the first company to sell them). It´s commonly used by nordic hunters, outdoorsmen etc and starts to get popular. They have a few models - insulated, not insulated and even one for Dogs (which I will buy soon I guess).

6. ThreeRidges

ThreeRidges Member

7. IW17

IW17 Member

Best multi use poncho money can buy

Screenshot_20181203-084723.png

8. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I’ve used the sh!t outta those as ponchos!

9. IW17

IW17 Member

No doubt. I keep a couple in all my bags. Light, small, and cheap.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  10. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Same!