Need survival/outdoor gear help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Black5, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Black5

Black5 Member

Ok, guys. I need some input. Since the theft of my truck and the gear I had inside I've got to replace things. I've been dropping money on replacing tools, but the time is coming to get some of my "stuff" put back together.

Thanks to an Amazon gift card and @Reno Lewis I'm good on knives. As a matter of fact, I'm happier with what I have now than before. (Still can't believe wife turned down that 6hm)

Anyway, there are some items I want to replace, and some parameters I have. I don't want anything super expensive because I've learned that some #@$&#@ think they are entitled to what I've worked for. I remember why I hate cities.

But I don't want Walmart quality either.

Also, I don't get out the way you guys do, if you haven't figured that out. Not for lack of desire, but other responsibilities take priority too often. So my gear won't get continuous hard use, but may get worked hard occasionally.

Down to business:

The main items I'm after right now are a sturdy backpack that is fairly lightweight, but capable of transporting a sleeping bag. Thinking smaller than a rush 72, bigger than a rush 24.
    No matter how lustfully I glance at a HPG Tara, I'm afraid it wouldn't be big enough.

And remember, I'm no dainty little poof, so the pack needs to fit a long torso. (Kinda chubby, too.) As an example, a molle 2 rucksack is a little short for me. I can wear it, but the belt is about 3 inches above my hips.

Lightweight sleeping bag. Probably a zero degree, since it tends to get icy here. I don't particularly care for a mummy bag, mainly because I feel like I'm getting an MRI every time I try to get my shoulders in. But, I would consider one. I prefer it to not be susceptible to becoming wet. In other words, I have a bag I bought for twenty bucks new that is good to about freezing. It's roomy, not too heavy, and has the water repellency of a sponge.

Water purifier. Not filter, purifier. A lot of the water I may encounter is home to livestock. If any of you are unfamiliar with cattle, they will stand in the water, drink and pee at the same time. My area is also rife with chicken and turkey houses. In an emergency I may not have a running stream. I may have a pond available to me. I have used a Survivor water purifier and lived. It looks cheap, feels cheap, but I'm alive and haven't, up to this point, gotten sick from using it.
    But I'm definitely open to suggestions from the more experienced people.

I know some of my requests may sound odd because I go no where near some of the places you guys do. But my situation often puts me on mountainous two lane roads, between towns, alone, on snowy/icy nights. I've been lucky our winter's have been mild the last couple years, but driving old vehicles in bad weather, the inevitable will happen, and I want to be prepared.

So, longest post I've ever made.

Help?

Zeek, mtngoat, Drew RedBear and 3 others like this.
  2. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Glad you're liking that 6hm!

As far as a pack goes, I think it largely depends on what style pack you want. Modern hiking style packs hold up surprisingly well (I've been using my Osprey Stratos 36 on SAR for 3 years now), but still not as well as some more heavily built packs of today. Savotta Jaakari (1000D), HPG Umlindi (500D), etc.

The Tara is a small pack, enough for a day hike and that's about it. The Umlindi would be the better bet overall, but still wouldn't be big enough to carry a full sleep system, food, water, first aid etc for more than a very spartan overnighter. Unless you have some of the more modern high tech compressible soft gear.

The Savotta Jaakari would be about the right size for a rather simple overnighter, at about that 30L mark. Personally, in winter especially, more room is never a bad thing. Spare wool layers don't exactly compress very well.

As far as a sleeping bag, have you looked into a surplus USGI sleep system? I've been pretty happy with mine in woodland, but the black bag (cold weather bag) is a tad bulky. The GoreTex bivy is really nice, very durable, if a bit heavy.

As far as water goes, I have no immediate recommendations. I've only ever used filters and tabs.

Black5 and HelRaiser like this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

hey Black5, PM me your mailing address......

you can have my MSR MIOX , takes 2 CR123 batts (surefire) and takes rock salt and water to make chlorine to add to water. Its 3/4" diameter by 6" long.

4. Willow

Willow Member

The two best purifiers I would recommend are Drink-safe systems or Seychelle. I've got several of the Micro 3-in-1 from Drinksafe and love how modular they are. I've been looking and studying on the Seychelle and they look to be almost identical in technology as Drinksafe. They both appear to use a compressed form of carbon and their bottles look almost the same. Just make sure you get the "extreme" if you buy Seychelle or the Supreme pump. The inventor of Seychelle's said his is made from some form of coconut. I'm assuming the fiber or the shell but he didn't say. Both of these company products have been tested in the real world and all over the world.

Bushman5 likes this.
  5. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

Black5, I don't know your budget but I am a long time user of Wiggys Synthetic Sleeping bags for wet regions.
    And Western Mountaineering Down bags for dry cold.
    They each have semi-mummy bags that fit a big ol corn fed like me, might work for you?
    I'm 6 foot and buy 6 foot bags if using over 30 degrees. Colder than that I buy 6'6" bag so I can stuff water, clothes ect.
    in the bottom.
    Either of these will last a long time with some care, Wiggys recommends washing their bags.
    Down have their own way of being handled.
    If you need to stuff it and forget it, Wiggys might be worth looking at?
    Good luck and sorry to hear of your loss............

Bushman5 likes this.
  6. Black5

Black5 Member

Thanks, guys. I knew y'all were more familiar with gear than I am, so this really helps.

@Bushman5 , I appreciate the offer, I'll pm you in a few. That's one I wasn't aware if, I'm definitely looking forward to checking it out.

I've heard other people talking about wiggys bags. The 6'6 would have to be my way to go.

This gives me ideas of where to research.:)

7. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

For a pack, check into the DDT packs from Battlegear tactical. I have a 48 hour venom and love it. They run about $50 and have a lot of molle attachments and a 2 liter water bladder pocket. I'm 6'2 and fat and it fits me well. They're also made in Vietnam but have a lifetime warranty.

ManOfSteel likes this.
  8. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I know you didn’t mention but I have a brand new Stanley Adventure Cook set just sitting in my desk if you want it. If you haven’t used them they are bomb proof. Shoot me your address and I’ll send it to you.
    8C686348-0B96-4B3C-A738-5EA595667C9E.jpeg

9. Black5

Black5 Member

Oh, @mtngoat , I appreciate it, but that cookset is one of the surving items.
    It was in a box at the house because wife and granddaughter were using it as a camping tea set.:p

But thank you so much for the offer!

mtngoat likes this.
  10. Willow

Willow Member

Also remember that you can get a bag "extender" which is a 6" piece of material that zips into your sleeping bag to make it wider. The brand really doesn't matter. You just need to confirm you have the same size zipper and zipper configuration.

Black5 likes this.
  11. Black5

Black5 Member

Now that's something I didn't know..

ManOfSteel and Willow like this.
  12. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

As for a bag, take a look at Spec Ops T.H.E bags. Well made, bombproof and simple. The dont really have too much organization (pockets,sleeves,etc...) but I like it because its easier to pack in modular pouches and I can switch between bags easily by just grabbing the pouches/kits I need.

Zeek likes this.
  13. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

qoute: And remember, I'm no dainty little poof

im dying here laughing. thinking of the South Park Episode. Cartman and his Cheezy Poofs.

che.gif

just razzing Bro:D

Black5, Zeek and DiscoveryLover like this.
  14. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I like the Eberlestock halftrack. It’s not terrible expensive. I was going to suggest the miox they are great wish I still had mine. For the bag I’ve never been happy. I haven’t gone super high end because I just don’t like mummy bags. I plan on trying the Kifaru doobie and their quilt next. My pad has an r factor of 7 so I’ll be insulated. That’s all I can add. Is there other gear you need?

Bushman5 likes this.
  15. junglebum

junglebum Member

I like snug pak bags they are really good for the money .... do you have a shelter system figured out yet....If your not into High speed stuff and want to tweak a design to fit you try alder stream canvas Jane has made me a bunch of custom packs and not one of them cost more than $200 bucks

16. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Could you use either one of these @Black5? He gave me three and I don't need them all. If so just pm me your addy and I'll send one off to ya. 20181009_190954.jpg

IW17 and Zeek like this.
  17. Black5

Black5 Member

Guys, I appreciate the offers, I really do. But I meant advice help. Y'all's generosity is overwhelming!

I'm kind of embarrassed...I didn't mean for it to sound like I was begging.:oops:

I knew you guys had a lot more knowledge on equipment than I have, so I was looking for help on educating me.

And you guys have been great on that. I've started down a research rabbit hole. (Especially wiggys...hoo boy...gonna hide that website from The Warlord..)

Anyway, I really appreciate the offers, and I'm willing to purchase some stuff if you've extras. :)

@Drew RedBear , I like those canteens, got one when they came available back last century when I was at Ft. Hood.:p
    I may holler at you soon about some etching for me because I really like the way your etched/painted stuff looks.
    (I'm just about 45 minutes from you.)

Once again, I appreciate the thoughts and offers. But if you've something you're willing to part with you think may fit my bill of needs, shoot me a price.

Hope I didn't come off like a jerk...I'm just amazed at your generosity, and more than a little humbled.

David

mtngoat and Drew RedBear like this.
  18. Black5

Black5 Member

Hah! Cartman is one of my heroes!

Face it...I'm a lovably plump guy working with belligerent teens and pre-teens in a mental hospital...I can handle a lot if razzing...I just consider the source, @Bushman5 ....I just consider the source..:p:p:p:p

Bushman5 likes this.
  19. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

It didn't sound like that at all to me David so there's no need to feel embarrassed. I believe in paying it forward and if I can I try and help people, as I'm sure the others are as well.

Sounds good about the etching also man, whenever you're ready. I'm going to Cali hopefully soon, but it's not a permanent move unfortunately, just long enough to see some docs and get on my way to being healthy again.

Anyway, the offer still stands on the canteen, I wouldn't even know what they're worth lol.

mtngoat and Black5 like this.
  20. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

You didn’t sound bad at all. There is just a good group of people on this site.