1. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

2. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

People don't realize that things can change very quickly. Especially when you're a few feet off trail.

3. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

In the busiest National Park in the nation....

4. Buddlee

Buddlee Bottom Feeding Spammer

+1
    [​IMG]

5. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

Sad. Unreal situation. I’m anxious to know what happened. The trails are typically packed and hard to miss in this area.

6. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. I’m curious how they were separated and what happened in the first few hours.

7. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Originally I hear the mom got winded and wanted to head back to the car while the daughter went to the top of Clingmans Dome....that's the last she saw her mom....

I know they looked for her in that area a LOT....I'd like to know where she was found...

8. Mudman

Mudman Member

Terrible ending, sorry to hear this. It's one of my many fears when out hiking, thus why I never go alone or branch off from the group too far.

I also wonder about folks that go on hikes, with nothing more than 16oz bottle of water and a hat.

9. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

You see them all the time out on the trails, 5 miles from a road and they are out in their flip flops and a sports bra. Complaining that they are thirsty and looking at you like an idiot because you are wearing all of that extra weight in a chest pack and a water bladder. Not judging what happened in this situation without knowing but it's amazing tragedies don't happen more often

10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

like 50% of the Instagram Selfie Crowd in BC Canada????????

11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

the comments i get from unprepared hikers while I'm wearing my L.R.R.P.R. webbing (equipped for a week plus) are insane.........

Willow, Reno Lewis and Mudman like this.
  12. Willow

Willow Member

I never go out on long hikes without my 3-day pack. It has my woobie, hammock, tarp, water filtration, multiple fire kits, and enough supplies I could last at least a week. Unfortunately, people nowadays are far too complacent on modern technology and instant conveniences that they forget that nature is unforgiving if you make mistakes. Batteries die and phones loose signal. If you're depending solely on technology you'll eventually get burned. This is why so many people are addicted to their GPS for directions. Nobody knows how to navigate by map or even instincts anymore.

I was a 10 y/o kid who wandered the woods for miles away from home almost everyday with nothing but a dog, a knife, and a shotgun. I never once got lost or even disoriented because I paid attention to where I was going. When I got thirsty I drank creek water. Sadly, too few of people have those skills anymore. RIP...