Coffee Makers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HelRaiser, Sep 22, 2018.

1. HelRaiser

HelRaiser Member

I find myself in the market for a coffee maker. Something that makes strong black coffee and doesn't require me to choose between an extra hour of sleep and that delicious elixir.

So what do y'all use to get your morning cup?

Reno Lewis likes this.
  2. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Have had a cuisnart for like 10 years. All in all it’s been great. Have recently been thinking about a cheap espresso machine though.

Zeek and HelRaiser like this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Bialeti moka.

4. BigJake

BigJake Member

Black & Decker or Mr. Coffee usually. Whatever is cheapest & programmable at Walmart.

Strigidae likes this.
  5. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Mr Coffee.

6. ny700

ny700 Member

I had a cousin art grind and brew for about 10!years. Actual two different models one that held beans for a single serving and one that held about 1/2lb of beans.

Awesome. The larger one was very adjustable for brew strength. We always purchased the ones with the thermal carafe. They were excellent. And if you Pre-warned the carafe it would keep warm all day.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cuisinar...MIhPfsxNzO3QIVRJRpCh0gxA2GEAQYASABEgImW_D_BwE

Currently using a technavorm mocha master from Holland. It is the most consistent. It is quick to clean and prep. Makes a pot quickly as it has as good a hesting element as there is. It routinely wins all comparison tests for hitting consistent and correct temp 190*-195* on the water. Makes a great pot of coffee

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/p...sku=93922&catalogId=84&cm_ven=PLA&cm_pla=None

HelRaiser and Wisdom like this.
  7. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I use a keurig with deathwish kcups

MKZ likes this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

GSI Moka Pot

makes a large cup of truckers coffee fairly fast on the stove. If your really brave....you grind dark roast coffee fine and press it in to the filter.....for a large cup of really strong espresso. Stand about 10" tall, 4" taller than MissCoppers head

IMG_0618.JPG

Zeek and HelRaiser like this.
  9. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Cuisinart Grind and brew will ruin you on coffee makers. Once you get used to ground beans every morning, coffee will never be the same. I struggle to drink coffee any where but home due to the difference. It's a life changer!

HelRaiser and Bushman5 like this.
  10. Slade

Slade Member

I bought us a gaggia brera for a house warming gift. Super automatic espresso machine. Similar to what @Wisdom is describing I think. Has a hopper for whole beans, then grinds, packs and pours automatically after you push the button. Espresso comes out of a tap on the front and used grounds get dumped in a bin. From turn on until it’s warm and rinsed and you have two long pour shots in your cup is maybe 90 seconds and requires nothing but a couple button pushes. Can do each “shot” as big as 5 Oz or as small as 0.75 Oz. Technically it’s called cafe crema instead of coffee since espresso always has the crema foam on top. Also has a hot water feature to water it down some more if that’s your style.

But we nearly quit using in around 5 months ago to start cold brewing. Not for any real reason other than I like the finished product better. It’s less time intensive overall since it’s made ahead of time, makes a 4-5x concentrate and because it’s done at room temp you don’t get any of the bitter taste some other methods cause. Makes about 60 Oz of concentrate, that you can do whatever with. I mix it with water hot enough to make it the perfect drinking temp straight off or use it in an iced drink with ice, heavy cream and carmel or toffee. Since it’s concentrated you can do whatever. We buy fresh roasted beans online (smokinbeans.com) whole and grind them at time of use, but the Toddy Cold Brew System is only like $30 on Amazon. Use 12-16 oz coffee and let it sit in water for 12-24 hours. It’s rocket fuel. I paid more for my grinder than the brew system costs.

EDIT: the cold brew is good for about 2 weeks after brewing though mine never makes it that far.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Zeek, HelRaiser and Delkancott like this.
  11. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

IMG_1515.JPG I am a big espresso fan. It inventor wanted coffee quickly. Those auto coffee things are pretty quick but you did not give a budget so here is mine.

Strigidae, HelRaiser and ny700 like this.
  12. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

IMG_1474.JPG IMG_1494.JPG Let me take this opportunity to present this installment of the weekly bad latte art program:

13. wilas101

wilas101 Member

We have a cuisinart coffee maker in the garage. why the garage? biggest piece of **** ever. 200 bucks and utter ****. 40 dollar Mr. Coffee in the kitchen which runs circles around it. It's faster, the coffee is hotter and tastes better for whatever reason.