Thinking About An Esee 6

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by TWBryan, Jul 9, 2018.

1. TWBryan

TWBryan Member

I have off-again-on-again wanted to buy an Esee 6 for a while now. Almost pulled the trigger a few times,but told myself that since I had a BK9 I wouldn't find a use for a 6. I own a couple 4's and a couple Izulas,so I already am familiar with the esee lineup. I was thinking of the esee 6 as a compromise blade,it can do a little chopping and a little small knife tasks,but isn't heavy enough to be a burden. If I go ahead and buy one it will be through the TKC knife maker. I would appreciate hearing any arguments for or against.

Thanks For Looking :)

2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Your assessment is right on in my mind. It is a great one blade situation where weight is a concern. The ESEE 4, as you know, is on that list too.

TWBryan likes this.
  3. Black5

Black5 Member

In my opinion, strictly understanding I may be on the verge of heresy, I bought a 6 and for the life of me have yet to put it to any serious use.
    My 4 and a small hatchet or saw see more use. If I go for a one tool chopper/knife combo, it's the 5. But for some reason I can't bring myself to sell the 6.

I don't know why. I plan on getting the GB6, but I'm not sure how much I'll actually use it.

My advice is to borrow one or get a used one and play with it for a while.

TWBryan and Strigidae like this.
  4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Aint no heresy there. We are a group of doers and users. What works for some may not work for all.

The GB is a smart buy as the value will go up with time... we hope. HA!

mtngoat and TWBryan like this.
  5. TWBryan

TWBryan Member

Thanks guys I generally believe in having a trinity or quartet of tools to manage all potential tasks. I would probably pair the 6 with an Izula and have all I need. Shelter making and path clearing is something that requires a chopper. Just bumming around in the woods and I think the 6 might meet any potential needs.

Strigidae likes this.
  6. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

The BK9 is my favorite Becker, and all time most used blade. I use it for a lot of wood processing at my cabin. That said, the ESEE 6 is my favorite ESEE blade. Love the feel of it, and think it's a great all rounder. Fits my big mitts perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. TWBryan

TWBryan Member

Great pics Warrior! Thanks for the info,I do like my bk9 ,but I was just considering a more compact blade that might be a little more versatile.

Strigidae and The Warrior like this.
  8. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

The 6 is surprisingly nimble in the hand. Not much you can't accomplish with a 6.

TWBryan, TravisL and Strigidae like this.
  9. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

For the longest time my 6 is the only Esee I wouldnt entertain selling. It’s sufficiently large to handle most Big knife tasks but not so oversized for more delicate work.

That said, my 6 took a backseat to my Junglas-2 on our recent vacation. I didn’t even take the 6 out of the truck. The Junglas-2, Izula and saw handle most of my cutting needs.

TWBryan and Strigidae like this.
  10. Black5

Black5 Member

Let me confess this, as it may help me. Most of the people I hang around see the 5 as a behemoth, and NO ONE carries a knife that big except in combat. Peer pressure, I guess.

Guess I should add that the libertariat and izzy 2 see most of the farm duties nowadays. Used to be the 5, then the 4. Evolution, I reckon.

TWBryan, BlueDogScout and Strigidae like this.
  11. TravisL

TravisL Member

If you ever fall out of the sky in the ESEE helicopter your friends will be glad you have the 5. :D

To each their own, some guys say they just need an axe and a SAK. If I’m just weekend camping I have a Junglas/3 kit I use. If I just go fishing I have a 6 with me a lot of the time [​IMG]

Mike Smith, KnOeFz, TWBryan and 2 others like this.
  12. TWBryan

TWBryan Member

Warrior,I say the same thing about the bk9,but I don't think anyone believes me. ;)
    Koolaid, what is it the junglas II did better than the 6? Just curious.
    Black5, I don't know,I think most of the time I would be fine with just an Izula. A bigger knife is "just in case" ,my bk9 would serve,but the 6 seems less noticeable.
    TravisL that's a nice set up. :)

For me the 6 is long enough that it would batton easily a section or 2" thick branch,don't need a log for a fire. It also would put a point on a stick ,make notches, cut vegetables and clean a fish.

The Warrior likes this.
  13. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

The Junglas-2 is able to baton bigger logs. I like the Junglas handle a little more. It also is a much better chopper then the 6. There’s no comparison actually, the Esee 6 isn’t even in the same class as a chopper.

TWBryan likes this.
  14. TWBryan

TWBryan Member

Koolaid,would you say the 6 is a bit more versatile ,or not?

15. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Depends on your needs. If I am carrying a big knife I’d rather have the baby Junglas. I’d pair both blades with something smaller no matter what.

To answer your question, yes the 6 is probably more versatile but it’s less capable of chopping.

TWBryan likes this.
  16. TWBryan

TWBryan Member

Thanks Koolaid. :)

17. Black5

Black5 Member

"If you ever fall out of the sky in the ESEE helicopter your friends will be glad you have the 5. :D"

Funny you should say that....June of '83 i was in a Chinook that fell out of the sky... I admittedly did not have my Esee 5.:confused:

TWBryan, TravisL and koolaidnd like this.
  18. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

I will share my thinking on my 6
    Got it used here a few months ago, tried real hard to like it but no love.
    I made some changes to it and now I think it will be my go-to Blade.
    It had TKC handles on it, filled the hand really nice but because of the weight they changed the balance point.
    It felt handle heavy........Got some used Micarta for it and my 5 and now they feel great.
    Changes I made, re profiled the handle, added Bow drill divot, bull nosed the tip for added strength and
    stripped the spine for Rock and Knife Fire.
    Now I am really liking my ESEE 6, the g-10 felt slick when wet and the Micarta feels more secure when wet.
    [still working on the 5 ]
    This is just what worked for me, your needs might be a lot different.
    I think I am going to really enjoy my 6 in the days to come.
    Picture for reference.

IMG_4655.JPG

19. Mudman

Mudman Member

IMO the E6 is an excellent knife. I've held off buying ore knives for a while, if I ever get another big knife. The ESEE 6 would be it. I had one in the past, and sold it. Regretted it ever since. I currently have a 6HM which is also excellent, but the standard 6 is different enough, to justify getting that also.

TWBryan likes this.
  20. Black5

Black5 Member

I guess also I have confidence in the 5 that I've not established in the 6.

Gotz to work on that...

TWBryan likes this.