Want to learn how to do a bowdrill? Maybe try a kit first.

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Jacob Peterson, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Jacob Peterson

Jacob Peterson Member

Hey guys, so before I made my first few friction fires, I was pretty intimidated by it. My first few attempts means basically an entire day of sucking and hard labor, but eventually with practice of course, I became pretty good at the bow drill, and if I can find the materials for it (which is a challenge around here sometimes) a hand drill too.

But as I was struggling, a friend said that I might consider trying a pre made kit. It was easier to get the first couple of coals, and I could learn a bit about how it all worked and the muscle memory behind it with a little less suckfest.

I was too proud to take his advice.

But honestly, if I were teaching my wife or children how to do a bow drill, I would do exactly that, then challenge them to build and replace the kit one component at a time.

Anyways, for some reason this topic is hugely emotional for people. Like, buying a kit makes you bush scum, and if you want to learn you have to go out and starve for a week and find the materials in the jungle after evading a platoon of savages or else just don't waste your time. I don't get it.

Anyways, I was offered one of these kits for review, and I think it is genuinely a good one. Ill be giving it away to one lucky random subscriber who comments why he or she wants it in the video. And don't worry, if your embarrassed, I wont tell the ultra hardcore Bushcraft judges that you got it. You can get your first coal relatively stress free, and maybe even have some fun doing it!

2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Yes! Learn however you can with whatever you need. These skills are dying off rapidly.

Kaw-liga, Jacob Peterson and mtngoat like this.
  3. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

"Bushcraft should be fun."

Awesome advice and content Jacob. I have struggled hardcore with this a few times over the years and gotten discouraged each time. I'll check these folks out on Amazon. Thanks for the time and energy that you pour into your YT channel.

Jacob Peterson and Strigidae like this.
  4. Jacob Peterson

Jacob Peterson Member

My pleasure bud!!! Thanks for putting up with me!

Bushman5 and Kaw-liga like this.