Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

2. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Won a little scratch at the pool hall tonight. Ordered up my jump cue finally. Predator Air 2 :cool:

Bushman5 likes this.
  3. Mudman

Mudman Member

Maybe stop by some steel places that have off cuts? I've seen some nice random things at those type of places that would be good for a forge. Or you could just bend some sheet metal into a mailbox shape. Most anything will do as far as I can tell, it's more of the insulation and burners that matter.

4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Did a little EARLY morning survillence of a potential employer this morning. Wanted to see what kind of people i would possibly be working with.

Got a tip from a former employee (friend of mine) that the majority of the truck drivers were substance users, on the job, and that there was other safety and maintenance issues with most of the trucks.

Borrowed his beat up spare car, a silver honda civic and parked it right near the truck yard entrance. Put a couple jugs of coolant beside the car and popped the hood, then sat in the drivers seat and watched thru the hood gap.

Few guys pulled up early, lit up smokes and stood around bs'ing. I could smell the smoke and it was'nt cig tobacco. Was not just green stuff either but harder substances mixed in.

Rough looking crew. Suited the area they in. (North Whalley -Surrey, near all the shady metal scrap yards and trailer parks).

Pretended to work on the engine, burped the rad cap and let a geyser of steam and coolant out.

One of them wandered over and started yakking. Hey that sucks . You got a smoke man?

I asked if i could get some water from the tap beside the shop. Yea man no f-ing prob.

Got water and came back. Got a good look at the shop (disorganized, tools all over the ground, filthy, beer cans and smoke butts everywhere). Got a look at a few of the trucks....pretty rough shape, dents and broken glass, turn signals cracked, lots of oil leaks and dirt on them.

Got back to the car , buddy still standing there smoking, i tried not to breath the acrid chemical smoke.

Buddy :Hey you got a smoke?

No sorry.

I asked him : hey you must make good scratch driving those trucks? Im thinking about getting into trucking , what do you make an hour?

Buddy: aw **** all man, boss is a ******** ******* **** cheap (racial slur) ****. Pays us ****.

Ah right on man, hey thanks for the water.

Closed the hood and drove off , shaking my head.

Crossed that trucking company off my list.

Got another place lined up today, i know they are good to work for, been hauling to their dump yard for over 10 years.

edit: speeling

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  5. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

6. Stim

Stim Member

Anyone know where I can score a leather drop loop for a stock 3 sheath?

7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Three more trucking outfits crossed off the list. How some of these companies stay in business I'll never know. Lol

The condition of some of the trucks is horrendous.

8. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Try Julio Diez with Diez knives on Facebook. He does wonders with leather on sheaths.

9. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I wish my health would get better or just take me away, tired of the in between.

10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

just applied for a trucking job at a major hazardous materials removal company. Heres hoping.

I'm going to follow up on Monday and bug them. With my background, I would actually fit into many roles there......Transportation of Dangerous Goods, Demolition / Sorting Dangerous Materials/Goods, etc........which would benefit them.

hopefully the pay grade is there......

11. IW17

IW17 Member

Not sure what's going on in your world bud, but Im truly hoping for option #1. Take care and get better!

12. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Health issues, but I'm with you, the first would be better. Thank you man.

IW17, RocketmanDane and ManOfSteel like this.
  13. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I won’t use the word disturbing because that’s exaggerating but I feel this deep. I’m sorry and I hope whatever it is gets better.

Drew RedBear and RocketmanDane like this.
  14. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Won the first round of states.. 1 down, 3 to go. Hopefully we do well tomorrow and get this trip to Vegas!

Zeek, Drew RedBear and RocketmanDane like this.
  15. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Thanks man

RocketmanDane likes this.
  16. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Drove pretty much from one side of SD to the other yesterday! Only had 1 day to explore and was WELL worth it! Mount Rushmore, Badlands, Black hills all in 1 day! Then after sun down! Watch a guy blow a axle! Saw a car hit and kill a cow.... BUT if one right in front of us! Then we got to follow a thunder storm back across the state! Probbably one of the coolest things I’ve seen!! Lighting that light the pitch black sky for probbably 50 to 100 plus miles at a time! It was CRAZY and cool! Well worth a days adventure!

17. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

2 down. Winning the 3rd so far.

Zeek likes this.
  18. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Ended up losing. It is what it is. Made $100 on side action at the pool hall I shoot at regularly so that’s a plus.

IW17 and Bushman5 like this.
  19. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

4th and 5th horrendous trucking companies crossed off the list. Both made the one I staked out the other day look amazing. :confused:

two of the trucks had no rear brake pots. They were tied up into the frame with baling wire. And they were not waiting to be repaired, they pulled into the yard with full loads on the flat decks.

The guy doing the hiring at one place was eager to hire me.....said my resume made the other drivers look like losers. He said this in front of them. Right in front of them. I looked at him and shook my head and walked away. The other 3 drivers there looked really pissed off at their boss. They were arguing when I walked away.

There has been a lot of good companies.......but the wages are awful. I could actually make more as a self employed bike courier than some of these places.

20. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Trucking definitely isn't what it used to be, can't say I really miss it.

Bushman5 likes this.