LeBron James

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stone, May 15, 2018.

1. Stone

Stone Member

Sunday. requiem to an injured Celtic tribe.

Starts off slowly, uncomfortable, chaotic at times.

But at 4:14, it blossoms into ... something different ..

2. Stone

Stone Member

Reno Lewis likes this.
  3. Stone

Stone Member

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    Kaw-liga, BlueDogScout and Zeek like this.
  4. Stone

Stone Member

5. Stone

Stone Member

05.26.18 -- Saturday night before game 7 -- this just in.

"Dick Vitale was so impressed with James that he took to Twitter to say "The @KingJames is simply the GOAT ! End of story / sorry Michael." Vitale is as old school as it gets in basketball analysis. He originally made his name as a coach, but hasn't led a team since being fired by the Detroit Pistons in 1979. He is now a college basketball analyst for ESPN, but for someone from his era to choose James over Michael Jordan is important. It is a rare crossing of era the lines that tend to define the Jordan vs. James debate. Younger fans tend to favor James, while older ones choose Jordan.

"But Vitale is hardly the only person jumping on the James bandwagon recently. His playoff performance has been so incredible with a diminished supporting cast that many have come to believe that he is the greatest player ever. It's fair to point out that Jordan never had to do with James currently is. All six of his championships came with Scottie Pippen by his side, and Pippen is considered one of the greatest players ever. He also had Phil Jackson coaching him. James has never had a single coach for more than five seasons, and has had five head coaches in total. James would love to have Dennis Rodman or Horace Grant at power forward alongside him, or shooting like Steve Kerr or John Paxson. A secondary creator like Toni Kukoc would be a significant help, but James doesn't have teammates like that. He is willing inferior talent deep into the playoffs. If he wins one more game, he'll make the Finals with this group."​

6. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

MJ never flopped like a pro soccer player either....LeBron can't hold his jock strap..... MJ got the dog &^%$ beat out of him his first few seasons....he got in the gym and worked his butt off...got tougher and more physical....

Lebron is a great player but if I want to watch pro athletes flop I will watch WWE or Telemundo....

Dagwood and Spikebot587 like this.
  7. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

lebron is only good when he has to be. thats what sets him apart from guys like MJ and Bird and KobeIMO. they always played to the best of their ability, no matter how big or small the game was. Lebron, at least recently, seems to only try when his back is against the wall. he played really mediocre this whole series until he realized he was at risk of getting eliminated, then he picked it up and forced a game 7

8. Stone

Stone Member

Then, let's see what he does in 7, eh?

9. Stone

Stone Member

Wait, what?

That's a f'k'g cheap shot. I call foul. Step up, and stop demeaning the man with words not worthy of this forum.

If you don't like him, I'm ok with that. But f'k your derisive language. :mad:

10. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

We'll see.

And just to clarify my opinion, I think Lebron is a great player. I just think hes over hyped.

11. Stone

Stone Member

Thanks for clarifying, Spikebot. I understand.

And I don't disagree: he is overhyped. I don't deny that for a sec.

But I'll go one step further -- maybe two: I think the entire NBA is over-hyped. It's why I only watch the play offs, and then only sometimes -- when players the likes of Byrd, Jordan and James emerge. It's just such a spectacle, watching what human bodies can do while throwing around inflated round balls and running around in a rectangular court, and making many, many people rich beyond belief, while stimulating arguments among friends (who are not rich).

<ahem> :rolleyes:

When you think of it, it's a form of modern, moderated gladiator sport. I wonder sometimes, in a post-collapse world scenario, what will happen when the Cavs meet the Celts on a larger, caged court, and both are carrying weapons reminiscent of the ancient Celts when they sacked Rome on their first try. Now that would be some spectacle.

12. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Overpaid blowhards. The league is full of them.

13. Stone

Stone Member

Just gonna put this here to finish reading later (or tmw).

Read the first half during dinner, but have more editing work to do before I'm off work for the day. So I'll have to get back to this later.

But I'll just say this for now: It's very provocative. I'm not saying it's "right" in some absolute way. But I think that the author is onto something, and makes valid points that I would have -- based merely in what I've seen in those NBA summary videos (best of Game X), but lacking the knowledge and experience of the game that he does.

Here are the first few paragraphs?

Why am I reasonably sure (p > 0.1) that someone here will have an opposing view about this? :confused:
    ______

Bend The Knee: LeBron James' Place in the Pantheon of NBA Greats Is Clear

BOSTON — For the Cleveland Cavaliers, Sunday was about a fourth consecutive trip to the NBA Finals. But for LeBron James, Game 7 against the Boston Celtics was about clarity.

Not for him, but for everyone who has witnessed his 15 years of unparalleled greatness.

One day, maybe when James no longer is putting up near triple-doubles in elimination games with ease, people will be able to admit what they watched was something they’d never seen before. They will see what became clear Sunday night at TD Garden when James put up 35 points, 15 rebounds and nine assists while hauling a collection of role players to the NBA Finals.

LeBron James is the greatest basketball player of all-time.

This is no disrespect to Michael Jordan, Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or any of the other greats throughout the history of the game. But there’s no reason to shy away from the obvious any longer.​

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  14. mwramos76

mwramos76 Member

I still don’t get it. They played a rookie led Boston Celtics? “King James” there’s only one king btw was supposed to win that series perhaps in a gentleman’s sweep. No Kyrie. No Gordon? True James has dominated the EAST. again the east is weak though. Does anyone think that James would have had this success had he been drafted into the western conference. I doubt it.

Spikebot587 and Dagwood like this.
  15. Stone

Stone Member

Memorial Day, 2018, 23:00.
    Hard day at work, just ending now.

All I got to say for now is this: NBA needs more mellow
    trance-like electronica to chill its fans out after the big game.

<Fortunately, this is my thread in General Discussion,
    so posting this will likely not result in my being banned./> :confused:

16. Stone

Stone Member

17. indulf

indulf Member

lebron is a douche but he's good. he may exceed MJ in stats, but never in killer instinct. 1:1 in their primes i think MJ would hammer leboner.

Dagwood likes this.
  18. CWB

CWB Member

MJ is the king of basketball

Dagwood and shaneadams90 like this.
  19. Stone

Stone Member

This is at least an interesting conversation. Regardless of whether I agree or disagree with writers here, I'm learning.

And again, to be clear, I really have no dog in this fight. MJ and LJ are both great in their own ways and context, me thinks. As a B-ball novice relative to most of you, I'd have to call it close to a tie ... speaking only for myself; no truth implied. o_O

But I want to see what happens in the finals. I know zero about the other team, so don't even know what to expect, other than in the broadest sense when the best meets the best.

20. Stone

Stone Member

One more, then sleep.

With my battle axe -- Little Viking -- nearby.
    ______

Many will enter this latest best-of-seven set with limited expectations. Some will shift their sights entirely to the offseason. They (claim to) know how this will end.

The Warriors have a 2-1 Finals edge over the Cavaliers. And they're one 2016 collapse away from owning 3-0 bragging rights. By most measures, the NBA champion was crowned during the Western Conference Finals.

But LeBron James is LeBron James, and until he isn't LeBron James, the Cavaliers have a chance.

Right?​