Day trip for the April Challenge

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Reno Lewis, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

After nearly a full year of owning my new phone, I finally got a 128gb micro SD card. My phone, a Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 shoots in full 1080p video even while using the front facing camera.

Full 4K photos.

So, I decided to head into the woods with the intention of making a video for @Strigidae 's April Challenge, a try stick. Something I've done countless times in the past, but having just received a new knife, I figured it would be a great way to get to know it, as well as a good excuse to get into the woods.

So off I went.

Spent a good few hours cruising the woods, half of that time was spent scouting for a spot to set down and commence videotaping, the other half getting footage.

Here's a few photos and videos I took while I was out.

Heading up a game trail, going from deciduous to evergreen.
    [​IMG]

Most of the evergreens in this area are massive, and ancient. Widow makers are abundant, and frightening to stand under.

It's hard to tell, but this tree is 4' wide, about 250' tall, rotten, and leaning at about a 15 degree angle, straight towards me... :eek:

[​IMG]

Continuing along the game trail, I almost made it all the way back to the main trail when I spotted this. A dead Maple had been upturned during a storm. It hit the ground so hard the entire rotten top of the tree shattered into countless pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The logs you can see on the ground here are completely saturated and weigh enough that I was unable to budge them even an inch.

Would not want to have been on that trail when this thing came down, let alone one of the massive evergreens...

[​IMG]

Unfortunately for this young Spruce, it was sideswiped as the Maple came down, taking with it all the branches from the Western side of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had considered using these downed logs as an anvil to work my try stick on. Would have been nearly ideal, especially considering the mass amount of fresh Spruce branches I had to work with, however, all the rotten wood, dead leaves, grass etc meant the ground and air was absolutely crawling with insects.

Tick haven.

I could barely breath without inhaling bugs, even with bug spray on. And with the ground being covered in dead, dry foliage, I decided a smudge fire wouldn't be the best idea, so I moved on.

Heading back down the trail, I came across this funky evergreen.

Would hate to have to fall this one...

[​IMG]

A lone Trillum flower, the first Spring Flora I've seen around here:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little ways further down the trail, I came across this nice little area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided this was the best spot I'd find, and set about making my videos.

Try stick video.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

R Stowe, Klynesquatch, T-Bone and 7 others like this.
  2. Reno Lewis

While I was still there, I decided to make a quick video showing a way to make a break away for neck carry in the field.

After cleaning up, and enjoying the sun for a while, I headed back.

[​IMG]

A natural Lay-Z-Boy! Like a four fingered hand reaching out of the ground! :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to go down to a small stream that I know of and take some video/pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading home.

FIN. :)

R Stowe, Meagann, koolaidnd and 8 others like this.
  3. Mudman

Mudman Member

Good stuff, I'll have to pick up one of those knives down the road.

4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

love the picture quality of that cell cam!

neat chair/.

5. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

This is soooo awesome!!! Thank you for posting this! I know its a lot of work and it is so greatly appreciated sir!!!!

6. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Great thread! You live in a beautiful place!

HelRaiser, Kaw-liga and Reno Lewis like this.
  7. Reno Lewis

Thanks gents, appreciate it.

Had a great time in the woods on what looks like will be our only sunny day for at least a week.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ yea major low system with heavy winds heading your way and my way!

The Marsh Gorilla and Reno Lewis like this.
  9. bearthedog

bearthedog Member

Great outing.
    Love the Pacific Northwest!
    I will be in Vancouver and Alaska late April-July.
    I am a product of Horace, Nessmuk, D.C. Beard, Lofty, and mostly...Mors.
    Funny thing about the tri-stick is how in regular camp life and survival, about 5 of those notches are actually relevant. Most traps, stakes, woodcraft projects use the same 2-5 notches with great success. However, it is good knife practice.
    You have good knife skills, I don't think I ever saw you put your thumb on the spine, which is a Mors thing. No good form comes from thumbs on spines...usually!

Neck knives....!
    I have heard of the old fallacy about needing breakaway chains/cord locks for knives in case you get, "hung up" or strangled!
    Right!
    I have worn neck knives for about 20 years on and off, especially in winter when layered up and hanging knives on a belt or belt loop means digging up your tool from under layers of clothing. Not convenient at all or practical.
    In thick woods, deserts, jungles of the world, I have never been even close to "hung up" on a branch so stout that it could possible strangle me, or anyone. I've never heard of, or read of such things. This is not aimed at you, but the idea and the proverbial "cut and paste" info passed from book, to Youtube is absolutely ridiculous. Imagine if it were to happen...well...you have a knife easily accessible to reach back and cut yourself free. Even so, such an event would be an anomaly at best!

-RB

10. Reno Lewis

Thanks RB! Means a lot coming from you.

You'll never see me cutting with my strong side thumb on the spine, puts your thumb in the way of what you're cutting and makes for a very weak grip. Off hand thumb is a different story (as shown in the video).

Absolutely agree on the notches too, I just like testing myself, and a new blade with some of the lesser used, more intricate stuff. I fully intend to go back up to that area and see if I can't do much the same with an 8" Bowie.

As far as being hung up, I can both agree and disagree. I'm not too concerned about it myself, and I generally never use a break away, but with that said, I have been in some questionable situations when walking cut blocks.

Lots and lots of trees down with full (weight bearing) size branches poking up and out at every angle and height, and tons of holes to fall into unexpectedly.

I've been in some really sketchy situations in cut blocks, and have got hung up on my radio cord before. Can't say I've ever been caught up on my pendant cord though. How close the cord is to your body, and whether it's under layers vs exposed definitely makes a difference.

I'm sure @Bushman5 can attest to the sketchiness of walking a cut block, especially without cork boots.

Also, when you get out to the FAR West Coast of the Island, or out into the Broken Island group, the Salal gets so thick that you'll actually walk right off a sheer cliff and only be supported by salal, with a long drop below you without realizing it. That's the sort of dense bush I tend to think of.

Save for that though, I totally agree, I've been wearing a neck knife on and on myself for the better part of 7 years, and getting hung up in that manner would be an anomaly at best.

Thanks for your input man, I appreciate it. And good luck on your trip! Sounds like a great time.

11. bearthedog

bearthedog Member

Thanks for the reply. Man...I just wish half of the guys would get out and post pics or video like you have here. We need more guys like you on here. Keep them posts coming, doesn't have to be videos!
    The knife...L.T. showed me that about 3 years ago at Blade show. I don't thing he can possible make a bad knife! He is one of the best in the business--top man!
    Like I said, your knife skills are there, I can tell you read Mors and watched some of the good ones out there. About 90% of the time when a guy has bad fuzz sticks for fire prep, it's usually because of the thumb on the spine. Keep it up amigo!

-RB

12. equyst

equyst Member

Pretty interesting posting[​IMG]

13. Meagann

Meagann Banned

Strigidae and Bushman5 like this.
  14. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Where is that ?? Looks like a nice spot ! Oh and I hope the various stock images companies are paying you royalties.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Bushman5, Zeek, Reno Lewis and 2 others like this.
  15. Zeek

Zeek Member

You're something else @Andy the Aussie, you've got a nose like a Bloodhound, or Dachshund, or something... :confused: :p :D

Strigidae likes this.
  16. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Anything you want to confess now Zeek....I mean....before I start looking ???? ;)

In fairness, most people who come to our attention do so because other members first identify them. If then things don't stack up....

Strigidae, Bushman5 and Zeek like this.