Competition pistols?

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by SMD226, Feb 20, 2018.

1. SMD226

SMD226 Member

I’m looking at getting into competition shooting of some form(I know each major one has different requirements) mostly just to have a more practical way to see how I am doing. I don’t have anything well suited for it right now, I have a XD mod 2, Sig Sauer p226 from the early 90’s, 2 colt combat commanders, and a few single action revolvers.
    I’m not too sure what to look at, what I can see is most everyone uses glocks of some form. I shoot pretty well with them I just hate how my 19 felt in my hand. I have been looking at the P320 because it felt a bit better in hand. But I’ve never shot one.
    What do you all recommend? Oh I have a budget of 1000ish

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  2. ny700

ny700 Member

I think the CZ line is really stron the P09 or the new cz p10c. Your sig p226 can also be a strong contender. Without our know what type of competitive shooting you plan on doing it’s kind of hard to say.

In a CZ whore so I woud look at the P09 or the Sp01 and for u see $1k you can have Cajun fun works tune it up.

https://cajungunworks.com/product/91152-sp-01-998-00/

Zeek, The Marsh Gorilla and SMD226 like this.
  3. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I think it would be good to shoot the gun you have for a while. You can develop your tastes and get classified.

Zeek, The Marsh Gorilla and SMD226 like this.
  4. SMD226

SMD226 Member

Thank you, I didn’t even think to look at CZ. I’ve honestly never seen one in person

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  5. SMD226

SMD226 Member

Which one would you recommend I stick with for now?

6. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

My buddy runs his CZ Shadow 2. If I was going to do any pistol competition I’d have to use my P30. I shoot it well, it holds 15+1, extremely comfortable, and HK reliability. The shadow 2 was also very nice for a competition gun IMO, heavy but it keeps the recoil down and makes for fast follow up shots. I believe it has 17rd mags also.

904F0852-87E1-4DAC-ADD2-CCEA87AA46D4.jpeg

SMD226, The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  7. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

If the Springfield has a 5" barrel I would go with it...probably but the sig would be fine. I am assuming this is some sort of Combat shooting ie.IDPA . You can still get the excitement when the buzzer goes off, the challenge of getting the stage correct and shooting smoothly. Remember the only person you really ever compete with looks at you in the mirror. Do it for a while; get your classification. When you do get a heavier gun you might win some events in your class.

I do like he CZ products and will probably pick up the P10C at some point. I do not have a full size 9mm. I had a Clark modified 1911 for many years and loved it.

I have shot one of the CZs with the blue grip panels and liked it. Perhaps I will find a used one. It will just be a range toy.

SMD226, Zeek and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  8. ny700

ny700 Member

4C8EF931-D273-410F-A24D-AAACA80500E2.jpeg The sig p226 is a hell of a pistol and had one of the better DA/SA triggers out there. Being an older one you could always update the trigger to a SRT trigger to speed it up

Unless there is a reason you don’t want to use that is there a specific thing about it you don’t like for the application cause it is a hell of a pistol.

I like CZs they are bullet proof they run they are very accurate and for just a little investment they can be made to run on par with high end customs.

Big thing is battery of ARMs do you like DA/SA or would you prefer to run single action only cocked and locked or move to striker fired?

My go to is a CZ SP01. Picked up for $600 new. I put in a Cajun gun works race hammer and trigger they 10x bushing, fiber optic front and plain black serrated rear sight. I didn’t modify the trigger or springs much because I also run a laser 22lr upper and it needs the full power springs to run. As is my DA trigger is about 8# and the SA is about 3.5#

SMD226, The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  9. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Is there a procedure to make gay CZ Single action only? Would it improve the trigger?

SMD226 likes this.
  10. ny700

ny700 Member

Not sure about the gay CZ’s but the straight ones you can convert to SA or you can just buy a SA model

Although I guess if it’s DA/SA would that make it Bi? ;-)

11. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Yea, I contemplate he CZ 75BSA. So they make that one in SA

The Marsh Gorilla and SMD226 like this.
  12. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I have no idea how that went in there. I assume I was trying to write making.

13. .357 mag

.357 mag Member

Do you carry? I’ve always shot what I carry. And yes.. I’ve shot USPSA with a G43 but I only cared about my own scores. This day in age everyone’s a winner anyways.

14. SMD226

SMD226 Member

I really do love my 226 my dad gave it to me when I turned 21 so I’m honestly a little hesitant to put it through some rough shooting. I honestly prefer SA but I’ve been thinking of going striker so I don’t have to worry about the hammer getting in the way. My Springfield is a sub compact I think the barrel is 3.25 or so. But I will say the CZs I’ve seen online do look pretty good I’ll have to see if I can find one locally to handle. I do carry the XD but I think I might want to move away from it I love it but at the same time something about it bugs me I’m not too sure what though