scope for $1200 or less?

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Zeek, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Zeek

Zeek Member

Didn't want to highjack MOS's long range rifle thread so...

This can be more for fun. Possibly you guys can help me broaden my candidates. ;) Pretend someone gives you $1200 but only to buy a new rifle scope. :D

Considerations
    1) The scope will be mounted on my Tikka CTR in 308

2) The setup will be used almost exclusively as a range toy. At most, I may try to pop some chucks with it at 200 yds or less.

3) As much as I would love to shoot long range it just isn't happening for me. The ranges I have access to are 300 yds and less :(

4) Number one feature by far is quality glass. I want to try something better compared to the best scopes I own now which are in the Leupold VX3 and Vortex HST/PST category. I don't care if it's tacticool mil dot or more traditional hunting moa or even what the reticle looks like.

Now, I'm aware that I don't 'need' a new scope and may not even see the benefit from better quality glass at 300 yds and under but just play along with me here... I figure I'll never know till I try it. :cool:

Kaw-liga and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  2. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Oh man I’m gonna end up with a scope now.

3. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

I have a number of Vortex Options and really like them...the Leupold MK4 and above scopes have very good glass as to the Zeiss Scopes. For Hunting I like a 2-10. or 4-16 at most..

The Razor HD in the Vortex line is a great scope with better glass as well.....and an outstanding warranty.

Hunting in the SE where it's heavily wooded, even 4x can be a problem when tracking through brush. I like the ability to Zoom out and have way less magnification in a hunting environment. If I'm shooting off a bench on the range a 5-20 or 6x24 are the choice.

Kaw-liga, Zeek and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  4. ny700

ny700 Member

This is at the upper end of your price range but I think it is going to be very hard to beet. Repeatable, durable matching reticle and turrets and first focal plane. This is a scope you keep when you sell the rifle
    https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/7...MInNmXsJKr2QIV07fACh1Gzwy9EAQYAiABEgLfnvD_BwE

If your going to start shooting long range here is how I would rank features
    1. Repeatability of turrets
    Most scopes even $1k scopes don’t track true and aren’t repeatable. You will have lots of misses and wasted ammo if you start losing a click every time you dial up or down. This is a real plus to the nightforce scope
    2. Matching turrets and reticle. If you have never used a graduated reticle you don’t know what your missing especially shooting at distance. The ability to spot and measure your miss means your on target in two shots not 3 or 4. And you want the turrets to match the reticle. Just makes it a whole lot easier. MOA or MIL that’s a personal prefrrence. I prefer MIL but each there own.

3 if your shooting at multiple distances then a fist focal plane scope is ideal. This means your reticle can be used to measure regardless of your power setting

4. Clarity: scopes generaly have plateaus at the $1k range will you see a difference vs a $500 scope yes but not a ton. Is a $3k scope offering a buch over $1k yea some but not a ton. The night force NXS line for instance is an amazing scope but I would grade the clarity as good to very good but not that much better then a $750 weaver tactical (a good buy at nachezz right now for $450 by the way)

5. Magnification over 20x

If your a gambling man I would also look for a used Steiner T5xi. It’s a $2K scope. When they first released they had lots of bugs. It has a bullet proof ESEE like warranty. People started dumping them for $1200-$1500. I picked mine up for $1200. Sent it in there and back upgraded fully reserved and Awesome!
    https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/t-series/t5xi-5-25x56

5. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Excellent Advice ^^^^^^

Kaw-liga likes this.
  6. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Member

Sightron

7. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I went with a FFP swfa 3-15x and have not regretted it. I couldnt afford the high dollar ones. Someday ill upgrade.

8. ny700

ny700 Member

Another few to consider
    Vortex PST genII. You had mentioned the PST line. The new genII line is definitely a step up and probably using the same spec glass as the older razor line which was very good

The Burris XTRII line can be had around that price point

Primary arms platinum line. Specifically the platinum line. Scopes are like folding knives there are only a few places in the world that produce them and they simply run them to spec provided by the ordering company. The platinum line is a lot of scope for the money

But I would still put my money on the nightforce SHV F1!!

9. ny700

ny700 Member

Solid choice!! Add that to my list above

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  10. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

$1,200 or less? You're gonna have a hard time getting anything of quality on such a cheap budget @Zeek :D A fella I used to shoot with had one of the smaller objective Trijicon Accupoints on his Gunsite Scout (the .308 model) and it was a lot of fun to shoot. You could buy a pricier scope than that in your given budget. I've looked through quite a few of the suggested brands listed and have to agree that they'd work out nicely. I'm in the same camp as @Strigidae. The nicest glass I own is a Leupold MK IV. Nice glass for sure but I'd eventually like to buy stuff much nicer.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  11. Zeek

Zeek Member

Sheeit maybe I'll save up for a few more months... :)

The Marsh Gorilla and Kaw-liga like this.
  12. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

:eek: I misread your original post. How embarrassing. :oops:

13. stickman

stickman Member

Wait, the NRA Show is coming up, and rumor has it, there are going to be new scopes released. Not new in the way a company copies another company and mimics the same product, but in this case something a little different.

14. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

Thanks for the heads up. [​IMG]

Kaw-liga and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  15. lcmcrumley

lcmcrumley Member

For under $1200 I would be looking at the Nightforce SHV line.

Nightforce SHV 5-20x56

Nightforce SHV F1 4-14x50

16. rileybassman

rileybassman Member

if you will be dialing - SWFA rules that price range. If not - the glass on my VX-6 is awesome - I have the CDS and it is "hunting" accurate.

17. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

So I posted my SWFA for sale on that other knife forum. I’m dying for a VX-6 1-6!!