Shooting Review & Tips

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by Delkancott, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

As mentioned I did bring the .22 as a test against the flinch. I shot that fine. Looking at this target:

View attachment 21109

in the upper right hand corner there's a group of 6 shots from 10 yards again, but with the Ruger Single Six .22. My aim was the black corner where two lines meet.

Zeek likes this.
  2. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

I don't always hit the bullseye, but when I do, it's because I make all of these mistakes at once :)

IW17, Zeek, Delkancott and 2 others like this.
  3. Paycheck

Paycheck Member

Maybe it's your zero, then?

Delkancott likes this.
  4. Rich275

Rich275 Member

SC864, Zeek, lcmcrumley and 1 other person like this.
  5. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Sure!

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  6. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Withstanding the fact that the camera focused on the background, what would you say about this grouping? Same Glock 43, same 115Gr 9mm and same 10 yard distance.
    DSC00332.jpg

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  7. Zeek

Zeek Member

Nice... so what did you do different?

Delkancott and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  8. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Shot left handed.

So my dominant eye is my left and I shoot archery left handed (not well) and I shoot rifle left handed (despite having RH bolts), but I didn’t think it would matter as much with pistol. Turns out it does. Probably less flinchy too because my left fingers are weaker.

Also worth noting was that I shot this group after stacking a full cord of wood in the cold rain. Work before play.

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  9. Zeek

Zeek Member

Huh... interesting

The Marsh Gorilla and Delkancott like this.
  10. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Eye dominance should not make any difference. Many people use either eye when shooting from a barricaded position. From standing it is a very subtle shift of the hands.

Delkancott likes this.
  11. ny700

ny700 Member

Cross eye dominance is actually common and yes it can make a difference and certainly delay target acquisition on presentation if your presenting to the other eye.

DEL another think I would suggest is switching to a more precise target. I’m a huge believer in aim small miss small. Yes for defensive pistol purposes this is over kill and not everyone is interested in becoming a bullseye shooter. But a target with a good small clear target may help your consistency. For rifle I like shooting for drills with 1/4” darts for pistol I’ll shoot 1/2” and it 1” dots depending on range so on a sheet of paper I’ll have a grid of dots. One shot per dot.

12. SC864

SC864 Member

On Glock pistols try using the " rapid trigger reset method " On the first shot aquire your target , align the sights and focus on the front sight , slowly squeeze the trigger and hold it to the rear after your shot is made , Slowly release it until you feel / hear the click , stop there and realign for the follow up shot , your next shot will have less take up and a reduced pull weight .

You probably know this , I feel that it helps accuracy.

Also , a very minimal movement of the slide is needed to reset when dry firing .

13. ny700

ny700 Member

Here are some target I use regularly for both pistol and rifle

Attached Files:

Zeek, SC864 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  14. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Yes , it is common, and yes it will slow target acquisition if one is not used to it. But it should not make any difference accuracy wise, shooting small groups with unlimited time. Shooting with your weak hand should not make any difference either with a minimal of practice, if time is not an issue. Trigger control is always the main issue when shooting a handgun for accuracy.

There are plenty of competition shooters that are cross eyed dominant. I would advise a novice not to worry about it.

I use a bullseye dot when shooting for accuracy but have shot some great groups on sillouette targets like a transtar or B-27. These are just large sillouettes.

I believe that "aim small Miss small" only works for traditional archery or other instinctive shooting. It incourages the novice shooter to focus on the target, not the front sight. I am a proponent of the traditional principles of marksmanship i.e. Focus on the front sight.

15. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

As it was only a small sample, I intend to go out this week and set up two targets to trial some more. One target for RH and one for LH. As mentioned in the other post, I do think a lot of it is I was probably more focused on trigger pull as I'm inherently less adept with my LH so need really focus to get it right. I will try to match focus and finger placement under both RH and LH this week.

The Marsh Gorilla, SC864 and Zeek like this.
  16. ny700

ny700 Member

I agree focus on the front sight is paramount. But for a lot of shooters especially newer shooters aiming to the same point in a repeatable manor with out a target point is challenging. Amina at a silhouette target with a 6” or 8” target area and trying to subdivide that space conscistantly is not easy. And it’s one more thing to compute in your mind while your trying to also subdivide the spacing of the front sight in the rear notch.

I think there is a difference between instinctive defensive shooting and bullseye for sure. But when your trying to diagnose practice and repeat specifics of fundamentals and control it is hard to do that on a minute of man target.

The distance one shoots at is also a factor as at 25 or even 50 yards a front sight post obscures the chest of a sillohouete rending it a now a small target.

17. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Good civil discussion. I like it. Thanks fellas! Great info too!

18. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

There is a tendency for new shooters to overthink the process. Centering the sharply focused front sight likely falls into the subconscience, but it works. It is a matter of having faith in the principles. The eye will naturally center the front sight on the target. With practice, employing the basics, a man sized sillouette can be hit at 100 yards with regularity.

19. SC864

SC864 Member

I agree , We have a 125yd shooting bay out from my rear deck with three full size steel silhouettes and a half size that we use for practice. The big ones are fairly easy but that small one is challenging with a pistol. I enjoy watching new shooters faces when the steel rings from that distance .

20. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I have made some long shots on the large buffalo and a large gong at 200 meters where I used to live but my consistency dropped off significantly at 150 yards on a man sized silhouette I also fatigued quickly.

I was using two 5.5 Bisley Blackhawks in .45 ACP(230 ball) and 180 grain .357. They heated up quickly. I was elevating the front sight. The .45 was my favorite because of the lag time.

There is a guy near here that shoots a 500 Linebaugh at long distance wi somewhat reduced loads. I have a .475 Linebaugh and can barely shoot a 4" group at 25 yards. I only have factory loads for it.

Derailment apologies but it is amazing what can be done with a handgun if the marksmanship principles are followed. There are many PPC competitors that can shoot a five shot 1 inch group at 50 yards...I was not one of them!