SBR? No....no it's a "firearm"

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Bcamos, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

I have a 16" AR and a 10.5" AR. I can't tell a noticeable difference. The 16" AR does have a Surefire ProComp on it though, and the 10.5" gun has a 4 prong flash hider.

2. DesertFox

DesertFox Member

Bushman,

There are some pretty specific definitions found at 18 USC 921 (see generally https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921)

"The term 'short-barreled rifle' means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches" so it has to first be a rifle.

"The term 'rifle' means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger."

If a firearm is not made from a rifle, then it would not be an SBR.

It would be a "firearm", which is a classification of firearm that doesn't fit neatly into a subcategory.

I believe Franklin has a previous ATF letter for its XO26 and adapted its "lessons learned" from that letter into the Reformation series.

(My guess would be that they made a pistol with greater than 26" inches and partially rifled it like the Holland and Holland Paradox.)

Recoil has a nice write-up at http://www.recoilweb.com/has-franklin-armory-found-an-atf-loophole-132912.html

I suppose you could FOIA the approval letter from Technology Branch if you wished.

(See generally https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/freedom-information-act-foia)

If you do find anything interesting, I'd look forward to hearing about it.

~DesertFox

Bushman5 likes this.
  3. ASH

ASH Member

Thanks, that is good to know. I had thought of doing a different caliber, maybe 9mm but then I looked over at ballistics by the inch and saw .556 doing 2600 at 10" and figured that is the way to go. I like guns that are cheap to shoot so that rules out anything else.

The Marsh Gorilla and Kaw-liga like this.
  4. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Cat's out of the bag. Straight lands and grooves, no twist to the rifling.
    4MOA at 50 yards. I'll repeat...8" groups at 100 yards
    No longer interested... (Oh and it costs 2 grand)

LMFAO omg I can't stop laughing at this comment

upload_2018-1-23_19-49-32.png

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  5. Boker55

Boker55 Member

Wow. That is dumb.

6. Benson X

Benson X Member

Quoted for posterity....that comment is priceless and hits the nail square on the head!

LMAO! :D

7. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Dudes...they have to be ******* with us. This is their "specialized" ammo to tighten the groups for this rifle.

Ever wanted to shoot a Nerf football?

[​IMG]

8. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

Since the standard measure of moa is 1 inch at 100 yards, I don't think he knows what he's talking about. The true m.o.a. is "8" full stop. 4 inches at 50 yards is still 8 MOA no matter what.
    Notice how nervous the guy sounds? It's like even he's not sure he's going to pull this off. Yeah, I lost interest too.

9. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

I just want to know what a musket loader is?
    The whole thing seems like a big joke that's unnecessarily poking the atf bear.

Kaw-liga and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  10. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Yeah I started thinking about it and 4MOA at 50yds is still 4MOA at 100yds. So that would be a 2" group at 50 and 4" group at 100. I'm not sure if he meant to sat 4MOA at 50yds or if he meant 4" group at 50yds.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  11. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

He lost my interest when he said the bullets were keyholing after 50 yards. I’ll pass on this thing, as will most people I think.

12. IW17

IW17 Member

Well this is a giant let down. I gotta think I'll pass at any price, but I'll run away screaming at $2k.

13. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

This exactly!

I'll still be completely content with my Thordsen equipped "pistol" build.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  14. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Thanks for posting that quote, sums it up perfectly!!! Franklin Armory comes up with some face-palm stuff for sure. The XO-26 has always made me shake my head, to skirt the law for a vertical foregrip they negated being able to have the weapon qualify as a pistol to fall under CCW laws and/or be carried loaded in a vehicle in jurisdictions where only pistols are allowed to be loaded.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  15. Lee Parson

Lee Parson Member

Straight lands and grooves made me face palm pretty hard, but the ammo they trotted out was full on belly laugh.

9C3FC27B-5242-40D0-8646-6418092CFDEC.jpeg

Great job guys, I bet they will fly out the door for $2000.

Maybe I am being a little hard on Franklin, but the video that I watched regarding this new product was awkward as hell to watch, as if the rep was questioning his own company’s sanity.

These kind of flops are a routin happening at shot show. Case in point, the Carical pistol from a few years back was going to be THE pistol of the year, but that thing was a big joke as well.

16. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

17. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Seems to be the same way for the Hudson H9. Lots of hype. Lots of talk about innovation and "ground breaking technology". Then people get them to the range and they're jam city. I'll give Hudson a little more slack, because they're a new company coming out with a completely new design. Franklin didn't design anything, they just slapped some old tech on an AR, decided it "kind of" works and got the world excited about it.

18. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Billy Mays kinda guy should have been their pitch man. At least the shot show video would have been interesting.

19. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

20. DesertFox

DesertFox Member

The Holland and Holland Paradox was brilliant and the concept worked for its time and in the place it was meant to be used. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_and_shot_gun)

As predicted, they used this concept to skirt the NFA without actually thinking of what era and what purpose the Paradox was built for and what projectile it used.

If they had built a shotgun with a detachable magazine and Paradox rifling, it would be quite a good idea.

This on the other hand is taking a decent idea, running with it, promptly dropping it, and then kicking it into your own goal by accident...

Bcamos and The Marsh Gorilla like this.